or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions - Page 446

post #6676 of 6936
I have a question, which does not concern fit, but a recent repair of a suit:

I had a little damage on the inside of a suit collar rewoven. Unfortunately, it is not as invisible as I had hoped. I know most people will say that it does not matter since it is on the inside of the collar and not visible when wearing the jacket, but then there is my OCD.

So, is it possible to get the reweaving done better (in which case I would ask for the repair to be redone) or is this pretty much all one can hope for.

Thanks!

post #6677 of 6936

It looks like you had a "hole", not a tear.  The repair is made by weaving in a rectangle of cloth. If you were in NYC there are a few re-weavers who could do a better job.

 

Paul Winston

Winston Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com

post #6678 of 6936
Recently purchased this suit from Spier & Mackay, only alterations I've done was had the pants hemmed. I feel like something else needs to be done to the jack but not entirely sure what. Any advice would great




post #6679 of 6936
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathandTaxes View Post

I picked this Brooks Brothers Black Fleece suit on clearance and I am not convinced it is a keeper. The immediate impression I had is that the jacket is too bulky about the waist, giving the appearance that I have a bigger mid section that I do. In the pictures it is straight off the rack and completely unaltered. Please let me know your thoughts and advice and thanks in advance for any response.

photo 20160612_172227_zpssshg25tm.jpg

photo 20160612_171950_zpstw8crgtm.jpg

photo 20160612_172330_zpsiwnousix.jpg

photo 20160612_172534_zpsefpjzr1j.jpg

photo 20160612_172421_zpsfclebokz.jpg

The suit is making the stomach look bigger because it doesn't have much shoulder padding (narrow shoulders) and the flap pockets near the waist are wide-set. The shoulders need tailoring, by the way.
post #6680 of 6936
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAmb View Post

Hi, i need of an advice about the fit of this jacket.







Too tight in the upper torso, and the waist is excessively tapered. The effect is Hulk-like.
post #6681 of 6936
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post

Too tight in the upper torso, and the waist is excessively tapered. The effect is Hulk-like.

Are you a tailor?
post #6682 of 6936
Quote:
Originally Posted by flvinny521 View Post

Are you a tailor?

I'm not a tailor, but it's too tight. It might look better if you let it out.
post #6683 of 6936
Quote:
Originally Posted by webzeb View Post

Hello!

I recently ordered several suits from Suit Supply, including a Sienna in navy bird eyes wool fabric.

Here is how the trousers fit out-of-the-box:


At the beginning, I thought there was an excess of fabric below my bottom. Thus, I asked my local tailor to tapered the trousers in this area.
She did not perform the alteration for the moment and I am starting to wonder if I wasn't mistaken.
Looking more carefully to the picture, it seems that the trousers are too tight on the calves - which is a recurring issue actually - and therefore does not drap correctly.



What do you think?
What would you suggest?

Many thanks in advance !

Fred

Additional photos:
No feedback?
post #6684 of 6936
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post


The suit is making the stomach look bigger because it doesn't have much shoulder padding (narrow shoulders) and the flap pockets near the waist are wide-set. The shoulders need tailoring, by the way.

Thanks for the feedback!  The more I look at the pictures the more I think the fit doesn't justify the deal.

post #6685 of 6936
I took photos in much better lighting. Heading to the tailor soon, I definitely need to take a little out of the waist of the jacket but am receptive to any other advice about the jacket or pants. The pants drape funny, probably too tight?

Please see album here: http://m.imgur.com/a/Qsxfp
post #6686 of 6936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post

I took photos in much better lighting. Heading to the tailor soon, I definitely need to take a little out of the waist of the jacket but am receptive to any other advice about the jacket or pants. The pants drape funny, probably too tight?

Please see album here: http://m.imgur.com/a/Qsxfp

That coat is way too small.
post #6687 of 6936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post

I took photos in much better lighting. Heading to the tailor soon, I definitely need to take a little out of the waist of the jacket but am receptive to any other advice about the jacket or pants. The pants drape funny, probably too tight?

Please see album here: http://m.imgur.com/a/Qsxfp

No you don't need to take anything out of the waist. I cannot see why you would think that because it is too tight. Try a size up if possible and compare.
It is too bad that the generally the cut of trousers these days is so terrible. I don't know if going bigger will improve them, maybe, but I think it is the base pattern being used that is way off, and this is prevalent across many brands.
post #6688 of 6936
"Maybe I don't have common sense" question: can I just give up functioning buttonholes by having the sleeves shortened from the cuff? The jacket has a large glen plaid pattern, and from what I've read, that coupled with my needing the sleeves shortened by more than 2" means shortening from the shoulder probably isn't a good idea.
post #6689 of 6936
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanagi View Post

"Maybe I don't have common sense" question: can I just give up functioning buttonholes by having the sleeves shortened from the cuff? The jacket has a large glen plaid pattern, and from what I've read, that coupled with my needing the sleeves shortened by more than 2" means shortening from the shoulder probably isn't a good idea.

If the holes already exist, then shortening at the hem will likely leave you with an odd situation with holes too close to the new hem.
Shortening from the top that much especially in a patterned fabric is likely to throw off any pattern matching of sleeve to body, and may not be successfult to size the new sleeve position to existing armhole size.
Try to find a jacket with non functioning sleeve buttonholes is a better way to go.
post #6690 of 6936
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathandTaxes View Post

I picked this Brooks Brothers Black Fleece suit on clearance and I am not convinced it is a keeper. The immediate impression I had is that the jacket is too bulky about the waist, giving the appearance that I have a bigger mid section that I do. In the pictures it is straight off the rack and completely unaltered. Please let me know your thoughts and advice and thanks in advance for any response.

photo 20160612_172227_zpssshg25tm.jpg

photo 20160612_171950_zpstw8crgtm.jpg

photo 20160612_172330_zpsiwnousix.jpg

photo 20160612_172534_zpsefpjzr1j.jpg

photo 20160612_172421_zpsfclebokz.jpg


One can see aspects of the fit that need correction. Proper correction can only be determined by a tailor who sees the suit on your body.  The sleeves need to be rotated- the set of the sleeves is wrong for your posture. The body can be reduced. That is a function of personal taste.  Shoulders look too wide and too full at the blade.  The trousers need the waist band lowered in the rear.

Paul Winston

Winston Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions