Does anyone know if there are any disadvantages to narrowing the shoulders on a suit jacket? Of course i'd rather just buy a suit jacket that fits my chest/shoulders but I always need to size up so that I can get the correct size pants.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Classic Menswear Lounge Last post on 10/4/16 at 1:48pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 10:56 am in Classic Menswear
- Suit Recommendations for Style Upgrade from Traditional HF, HSM, and BB Last post on 9/22/11 at 7:00am in Classic Menswear
Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where can I buy an affordable suit for my wedding?Last edited: 3/24/16
- What shirt should I wear with a single button peak lapel dinner...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions - Page 413post #6182 of 686711/11/15 at 5:28amQuote:
Shoulders are very difficult to change and easy to mess up. If the shoulders don't fit, you should probably find another suit.
Are the pants for th correct jacket beyond tailoring? Is there not enough material to let them out?post #6183 of 686711/11/15 at 7:12amQuote:
The pants have enough fabric in the waist but unfortunately it's the seat that is the problem. Unfortunately Suitsupply is not known to offer a generous amount of excess fabric in that area.post #6184 of 686711/11/15 at 8:32amQuote:
I made that mistake and got a larger suit so the pants will be bigger and got talked into getting it tailored. The end result was horrible and it's pretty much a loss at this point. The arm width is huge and if I tapper the bottom it just looks silly. The sides that got taken in don't look right because now the pockets are too far out and almost sit on my hips and the shoulders stick out and pinch as a result. Luckily I found a tailor that pointed out the previous guys mistakes and flat old told me he would have never done the job because the end result will just look bad.
I just got back a new suit and although the waist is a bit snug the over all result and fit of the suit is a huge improvement. To be honest I actually got used to my waist fitting loose because I lost a good amount of weight in the last year. So I was buying up so the pants would fit when I shouldn't have been.
Now I'm learning how suit pants should fit "snug" and a bit on the tight side.post #6185 of 686711/11/15 at 10:21pmpost #6186 of 686711/12/15 at 6:28am
I just bought this cheap suit, does it fit well? I'm concerned about the lapels puffing when I place my hands in my pockets.
It's not a tailored fit by any means, but do you think I can get a better fit off-the-rack?
Link to the fit video:post #6187 of 686711/12/15 at 1:56pmQuote:
If a suit's drop doesn't work for you, just move on. There are way too many good options out there to fret over this.post #6188 of 686711/13/15 at 8:42pmpost #6189 of 686711/15/15 at 11:27ampost #6190 of 686711/16/15 at 12:30pm
I just bought this Canali in charcoal, and was wondering whether the shoulders are too wide for me?
Also, I wonder how to alter it to fit me better - if shoulders are not an issue, any suggestions or comments?
Some quick thoughts (I may be wrong):
1. The jacket should be taken-in in the midsection OR change the buttons?
2. Shorten both sleeves a bit
Thanks!post #6191 of 686711/16/15 at 2:55pm
Ordered shirt and trousers from Luxire using a variety of measurements with the attached results. My thoughts were:
2. Shirt: Add darts, make the shoulders smaller to decrease wrinkles at the back, and increase the chest.1. Trousers: Decrease the rise and slightly shorten.Would be grateful for any advice.post #6192 of 686711/16/15 at 3:01pmpost #6193 of 686711/17/15 at 4:34ampost #6194 of 686711/17/15 at 7:06am
Been a longtime lurker, learnt lots from the forum, and ordered a suit a few weeks ago from a reputable tailor. It arrived in the mail a few days ago, and a number of problems with the fit have been bugging me since.
First the basics:
- Tailor: (I don't want to tarnish the operation's reputation, so I won't give too many identifying details now) based in a large Asian city, specialises in bespoke/MTM on their premises and in other cities
- Fabric: Holland & Sherry Fiesta (I picked the fabric from a H&S swatch book, Fiesta I read off the label attached to my suit)
- Measurements were based off my old suit (made years ago, which fit me extremely well when first made, but is now noticeably snug especially around the middle) - the tailors measured my old suit, then adjusted the recorded measurements based on my body during the appointment. Frankly I wasn't sure what to think about the first part of this method, as I had explicitly mentioned that my old suit no longer fits well.
I wasn't expecting a knock-me-out suit, but for the price I paid and their reputation (a lot of good reviews), I confess I hoped for something better - or am I just being picky?
Here are some pictures - I lightened them a little to highlight how the fabric falls - the actual color is darker. The suit IS a little creased - it arrived in a box and I haven't had a chance to get it pressed.
My new suit
Side - buttoned - the sleeves hide my shirt cuff. I had mentioned that I wanted a thin rim of exposed cuff - the tailor seemed to make especial note of it at the time, but the sleeves are still too long.
Back - shoulder divots
Back with arms raised - weird fabric bunching?
Also shoulder divots
Back - arms stretched in front. Weird bunching underneath collar?
Front - unbuttoned. Too-long sleeves.
Side - unbuttoned.
Trousers seem all right
I have a slightly slanted waistline from mild scoliosis. This is quite obvious here.
Front - buttoned - Bad shoulder divots
The lapel could be more generous. My fault - I wanted a conservative suit with normal lapel widths, but was convinced by the tailor to go for a narrower lapel against my better judgment. The pocket flaps, which are standard width, now seem too wide compared to the underwhelming lapels.
Is the gorge too high/ ok?
Front - buttoned, arms raised. Again bad divots
My questions to all the knowledgeable gentlemen here:
- Are my issues with the suit real or imagined?
- If real, can all/ some of the problems be fixed by a "normal" tailor?
Edited by sammybt - 11/19/15 at 12:16ampost #6195 of 686711/17/15 at 7:43am
I posted in the Spier and Mackay thread but thought I'd try here as well. If that is frowned upon, please delete the inappropriate post.
I just received the Navy hopsack blazer, size 42. I'm very happy with it overall, and upon initial views of myself in the mirror, I was thinking it only needed a slight sleeve adjustment and some waist tapering. However, after taking a few pictures, I am now concerned that it appears fairly chopped for my body. Am I doomed to waiting for S&M to make long sizes more available in order to get an extra inch in the body? Or is this something that can work? I was really looking forward to ordering two suits in the bundle this week if the blazer had fit well.
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 31 seconds ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 1 minute ago
- › How about Cole Haan Made in Maine shoes 1 minute ago
- › Is Casual Men's Neckwear Dead? 1 minute ago
- › East Sicily Tailors 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 11 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 19 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Blacksmith boots 9.5D US - Billy Beige 19 minutes ago
- › Canada goose Windermere parka anyone have? 21 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...