or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions - Page 411

post #6151 of 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmeyer View Post


Yeah it's not that surprising that Brooks Bros would charge more than average for alterations. It's like getting your car serviced at the dealership - but you wouldn't bring your Honda to the BMW dealer.

Being in/near LA, I'd imagine you're in a good place for finding a good price to service ratio, what with the garment district and all that. But spending $200 to take a suit from "doesn't fit" to "fits" is not really that much overall.

One word of caution, however: there are golden proportional rules to garments that you don't want to break because you'll throw the balance of the entire piece out of whack. An easy one to highlight is jacket length. If you shorten a jacket to the point that the pockets are too close to the bottom of the jacket, it won't look right, even if it's now the right length for you. Let's call that distance 9" from the top of the pocket to the bottom of the coat, to be safe, but one of the tailors on here can tell you their magic number.
 

 

I'm actually in orange county which is about 2 hours from central LA depending on traffic.  I did find a local tailor that seemed to get good ratings on yelp and his prices fell in line with the previous posted link.  He is a small shop and spent about 30 min getting me sized and told me if the suit is 2 long or too wide in the shoulders he wouldn't bother taking my money, because it would be 1. Too costly to make the alterations and 2. The finished result wouldn’t look right.  Here is what I have being done.  take in the sides a couple inches, shorten the sleeves an inch or so take 1” off from the bottom, 1” in on the pants and put a him on the pants.  Total out the door was $125.  I pick it up Wed so hopefully it will fit nice.

post #6152 of 6939
Question:

I have had my jacket vents closed temporarily before. But is it possible to just shorten the vent length?

Thanks!
post #6153 of 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmir View Post

But is it possible to just shorten the vent length?

That shouldn't be a problem.

But as the tailor presumably will have to cut away some of the underlay higher up (to reduce bulk) you might not be able to return to a longer vent, if you change your mind at a later time.
post #6154 of 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe View Post

That shouldn't be a problem.

But as the tailor presumably will have to cut away some of the underlay higher up (to reduce bulk) you might not be able to return to a longer vent, if you change your mind at a later time.

Thanks! As it stands, the vent is quite long at 11.5 inches. I plan to bring it down to a more classic length. Would 8.5 inches be a more neutral vent length?
post #6155 of 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmir View Post

Thanks! As it stands, the vent is quite long at 11.5 inches. I plan to bring it down to a more classic length. Would 8.5 inches be a more neutral vent length?

Total length is relative. The top of the vent is usually about even with the pockets so the length will depend on the spacing of the pockets from the hem. Naturally, a shorter coat would have a shorter vent and vice-versa so forget about measurements and look instead at proportion.
post #6156 of 6939

Hello All,

 

I just received a test shirt that I ordered online from Modern Tailor and I was wondering if you all could give me some advice as to improve the measurements. I'm new to this so any advice is appreciated.

 

It feels a little tight around the shoulders and chest so I think I might increase the yoke width and the chest width a little bit. It seems like there is some extra fabric around the back of the shoulders/armpit. Not exactly sure what to do about that. Also, the sleeves feel a little tight so I might increase the sleeve width slightly. Lastly, there are some weird creases around the shoulders and I wonder if I should choose the sloping shoulders option next time, but I am not exactly sure if that will fix it. 

 

Here are some picture for reference. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!

 

 

 

 

post #6157 of 6939
Welcome to the forum, @joshdot. I moved your post over here where you will get the most feedback. Best of luck.
post #6158 of 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdot View Post

Hello All,

I just received a test shirt that I ordered online from Modern Tailor and I was wondering if you all could give me some advice as to improve the measurements. I'm new to this so any advice is appreciated.

It feels a little tight around the shoulders and chest so I think I might increase the yoke width and the chest width a little bit. It seems like there is some extra fabric around the back of the shoulders/armpit. Not exactly sure what to do about that. Also, the sleeves feel a little tight so I might increase the sleeve width slightly. Lastly, there are some weird creases around the shoulders and I wonder if I should choose the sloping shoulders option next time, but I am not exactly sure if that will fix it. 

Here are some picture for reference. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!









I have seen worse.

you have sloping shoulders
add an 1" to chest.
ask them to drop the armhole slightly
and widen the sleeve

add darts
post #6159 of 6939

Is this jacket salvageable? Should I keep it or try and sell it at a loss on Ebay or B&S. When I was in the store shoulders were not divoting like this. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #6160 of 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by flvinny521 View Post
 

Looking for a fit check on my recent shirt order. I think this is order number three, and we're getting close. This shirt has already been adjusted for forward and sloping shoulders, although it looks like it might need more. The collar has also been moved vs. the previous shirt to eliminate a fold behind the neck, but this also hasn't totally been resolved. The front panel is slightly tight on the entire length of the shirt, where the back panel could have some fabric removed. Also, I have to work on the cuffs, because I'm having a hard time balancing wide-enough-to-fit-a-watch vs not-too-wide-that-I-look-ridiculous.

 

Any other suggestions or insight? I am sending these to Luxire as well, but I know they can take some time getting input on these e-mails and we have a lot of experts here as well. I apologize for the messy closet behind me.

 

 

 

 

 

post #6161 of 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandspider View Post
 

Is this jacket salvageable? Should I keep it or try and sell it at a loss on Ebay or B&S. When I was in the store shoulders were not divoting like this. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


The shoulders are horrible. I'd have to let that one go.

post #6162 of 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerkicker View Post


The shoulders are horrible. I'd have to let that one go.

What is causing the divots here? The jacket looks like it fits pretty well, I mean, other than the divots.
post #6163 of 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad View Post


What is causing the divots here? The jacket looks like it fits pretty well, I mean, other than the divots.

I am interested to hear as well. If I size up the jackets get too big everywhere else and are quite an expense to get altered. Is there a specific kind of shoulder consutruction that I should be aiming for?

post #6164 of 6939
I found this thread that basically explains why it happens:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/151698/divot-terror

@sandspider, you said you didn't notice the divots in the store but I'll ask this anyway....did you try on any other Eidos jackets of the same cut and if so, do you recall how they fit? I ask because I'm trying to sort out whether this Eidos cut is just not right for your shoulder or is the problem is specific to this particular jacket.

Funny thing is I'm looking at a jacket online right now that divots on the model wearing it but I have tried on no less than 20 Eidos, Isaia and Zenga jackets over the last week and none of them divot on me. My guess is the problem is the jacket and not the cut. I may buy it anyway hoping it fits me better than the model but I do have the option to return it. A return policy is a must.
post #6165 of 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandspider View Post

Is this jacket salvageable? Should I keep it or try and sell it at a loss on Ebay or B&S. When I was in the store shoulders were not divoting like this. 























It's salvageable if you can find an amazing taylor, like JeffreyD suggests. Do you have access to one?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions