Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Suit Recommendations for Style Upgrade from Traditional HF, HSM, and BB Last post on 9/22/11 at 7:00am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my new custom jacket Last post on 11/12/12 at 5:59pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Tuxedo Do I Need For A Black Tie Event?Last edited: 10/12/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions - Page 337
Styleforum Top Pickspost #5042 of 53777/5/14 at 11:01pm
Been following this thread for some time, and now have finally acquired a MTM suit. I need to redo the shots with the jacket on, as they were taken with distortion. However, I think the shots with the jacket off should at least be critiqueable.
For this set of pictures, I am looking for help on the fit of my shirt (my first MTM shirt) as well as the pants (bottom half the suit). Undistorted pictures of the full getup later. I realize I am not wearing shoes, apologies in advance. It's the one well lit place suitable for pictures in my apartment, and the GF won't allow shoes there :)
To my untrained eye, the fit seems to be quite good. But that's why I'm here:post #5043 of 53777/6/14 at 7:00amI'm not sure if this is the right thread to post in, but since it is frequented by tailors, I thought I would try asking:
I am having an overcoat made and am pretty set on having turnback cuffs (w/o buttons). However, my tailor discouraged me from getting them, saying it takes too long to have them made up. I have a Brook Brothers overcoat with turnback cuffs and they indeed look a bit more complicated than normal cuffs, but I would think that creating working buttonholes on the sleeves is just as much effort as turnback cuffs. Could someone offer any insight?
(For clarification, my tailor is located overseas. I mailed him my fabric and he will have the basted fitting ready for me on my next visit. I hope to take the overcoat back home with me a week later, hence the time constraint.)post #5044 of 53777/8/14 at 4:13amI am sure I know the answer to this, but just in case:
I want to buy a particular suit - jacket and pants are sold separate. The jacket fits perfect as available in my size. I usually wear 31 inch waist pants; the smallest they have is 36.
Is it possible/advisable to attempt such alteration regardless of how good my tailor is? Or just a total waste of money?
Thanks!post #5045 of 53777/8/14 at 8:35amHi guys, another question:
I was hoping for some feedback about how you think this double breasted OTR suit blazer fits on me, and what alterations I need to make. It's full canvas if that makes a difference.
Principally, am thinking how much of the waist/chest I need to take in - I know double breasted blazers don't look good unless they have a more dramatic silhouette. I know that the sleeves will need to be adjusted both in width and in length. I'm also still thinking whether the jacket length needs to be shortened.
Please let me know what you think of the fit and also what alterations are needed. All feedback welcomed. Thanks!post #5046 of 53777/8/14 at 8:41amHi guys,
Might as well get this one in too - do you think any adjustments in terms of taking in the waist/chest need to be done to this jacket? This one is not as obvious a candidate as the above double breasted blazer because it is almost there (already took in the sleeves), it's just one size big (38 instead of the usual 36).
Many thanks!post #5047 of 53777/8/14 at 2:46pmpost #5048 of 53777/8/14 at 6:07pmpost #5049 of 53777/9/14 at 6:23pmpost #5050 of 53777/10/14 at 5:41ampost #5051 of 53777/10/14 at 6:15ampost #5052 of 53777/11/14 at 12:36pm
I have a question about the proper way to hem chinos. I just picked up two pairs of Incotex cotton chinos from a local alterations tailor I've had good luck with in the past. To my surprise, they finished both pairs like jeans: that is, with visible double seam, leaving no material for further alterations (except I suppose for shortening). This is not what I've expected, not what I've seen before on this type of pants, and there's no apparent way to fix it because they didn't leave enough fabric to do a more formal rolled under hem. Am I unreasonable in thinking chinos should not be finished this way?post #5053 of 53777/11/14 at 2:21pmSome chinos have a machine stitched hem as you describe and some are done with more of a turn up hem and finished by hand or with a blind stitch machine. If they were previously hemmed as opposed to unfinished bottoms when you brought them to the tailor, they would most likely have hemmed them in the same way as the original hem. If unfinished, they decided how to finish the hem. Now you know to specify the method of hemming you prefer.post #5054 of 53777/11/14 at 8:07pm
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 39 seconds ago
- › Epaulet by Ashland Purple Gingham Shirt Size M 41 seconds ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 1 minute ago
- › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures 2 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 3 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 3 minutes ago
- › Wings + Horns - - - Fall / Winter 2014 3 minutes ago
- › Finding a first real suit in a sartorial wasteland 4 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 5 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays
- › Last Minute Gifts for Dad
- › The Joy of Bad Christmas Movies
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...