Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Classic Menswear Lounge Last post on 2/5/16 at 10:32am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 7:13 am in Classic Menswear
- Suit Recommendations for Style Upgrade from Traditional HF, HSM, and BB Last post on 9/22/11 at 7:00am in Classic Menswear
Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
Last edited: Yesterday
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions - Page 337
Styleforum Top Pickspost #5042 of 64077/5/14 at 11:01pm
Been following this thread for some time, and now have finally acquired a MTM suit. I need to redo the shots with the jacket on, as they were taken with distortion. However, I think the shots with the jacket off should at least be critiqueable.
For this set of pictures, I am looking for help on the fit of my shirt (my first MTM shirt) as well as the pants (bottom half the suit). Undistorted pictures of the full getup later. I realize I am not wearing shoes, apologies in advance. It's the one well lit place suitable for pictures in my apartment, and the GF won't allow shoes there :)
To my untrained eye, the fit seems to be quite good. But that's why I'm here:post #5043 of 64077/6/14 at 7:00amI'm not sure if this is the right thread to post in, but since it is frequented by tailors, I thought I would try asking:
I am having an overcoat made and am pretty set on having turnback cuffs (w/o buttons). However, my tailor discouraged me from getting them, saying it takes too long to have them made up. I have a Brook Brothers overcoat with turnback cuffs and they indeed look a bit more complicated than normal cuffs, but I would think that creating working buttonholes on the sleeves is just as much effort as turnback cuffs. Could someone offer any insight?
(For clarification, my tailor is located overseas. I mailed him my fabric and he will have the basted fitting ready for me on my next visit. I hope to take the overcoat back home with me a week later, hence the time constraint.)post #5044 of 64077/8/14 at 4:13amI am sure I know the answer to this, but just in case:
I want to buy a particular suit - jacket and pants are sold separate. The jacket fits perfect as available in my size. I usually wear 31 inch waist pants; the smallest they have is 36.
Is it possible/advisable to attempt such alteration regardless of how good my tailor is? Or just a total waste of money?
Thanks!post #5045 of 64077/8/14 at 8:35amHi guys, another question:
I was hoping for some feedback about how you think this double breasted OTR suit blazer fits on me, and what alterations I need to make. It's full canvas if that makes a difference.
Principally, am thinking how much of the waist/chest I need to take in - I know double breasted blazers don't look good unless they have a more dramatic silhouette. I know that the sleeves will need to be adjusted both in width and in length. I'm also still thinking whether the jacket length needs to be shortened.
Please let me know what you think of the fit and also what alterations are needed. All feedback welcomed. Thanks!post #5046 of 64077/8/14 at 8:41amHi guys,
Might as well get this one in too - do you think any adjustments in terms of taking in the waist/chest need to be done to this jacket? This one is not as obvious a candidate as the above double breasted blazer because it is almost there (already took in the sleeves), it's just one size big (38 instead of the usual 36).
Many thanks!post #5047 of 64077/8/14 at 2:46pmpost #5048 of 64077/8/14 at 6:07pmpost #5049 of 64077/9/14 at 6:23pmpost #5050 of 64077/10/14 at 5:41ampost #5051 of 64077/10/14 at 6:15ampost #5052 of 64077/11/14 at 12:36pm
I have a question about the proper way to hem chinos. I just picked up two pairs of Incotex cotton chinos from a local alterations tailor I've had good luck with in the past. To my surprise, they finished both pairs like jeans: that is, with visible double seam, leaving no material for further alterations (except I suppose for shortening). This is not what I've expected, not what I've seen before on this type of pants, and there's no apparent way to fix it because they didn't leave enough fabric to do a more formal rolled under hem. Am I unreasonable in thinking chinos should not be finished this way?post #5053 of 64077/11/14 at 2:21pmSome chinos have a machine stitched hem as you describe and some are done with more of a turn up hem and finished by hand or with a blind stitch machine. If they were previously hemmed as opposed to unfinished bottoms when you brought them to the tailor, they would most likely have hemmed them in the same way as the original hem. If unfinished, they decided how to finish the hem. Now you know to specify the method of hemming you prefer.post #5054 of 64077/11/14 at 8:07pm
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions
Styleforum Top Picks
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 1 minute ago
- › SF Cheap Functional Buttonholes 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 5 minutes ago
- › Video Games 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 7 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 9 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1