Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Classic Menswear Lounge Last post on 10/4/16 at 1:48pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on 10/21/16 at 10:56am in Classic Menswear
- Suit Recommendations for Style Upgrade from Traditional HF, HSM, and BB Last post on 9/22/11 at 7:00am in Classic Menswear
Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where can I buy an affordable suit for my wedding?Last edited: 3/24/16
- What shirt should I wear with a single button peak lapel dinner...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions - Page 337post #5042 of 68677/5/14 at 11:01pm
Been following this thread for some time, and now have finally acquired a MTM suit. I need to redo the shots with the jacket on, as they were taken with distortion. However, I think the shots with the jacket off should at least be critiqueable.
For this set of pictures, I am looking for help on the fit of my shirt (my first MTM shirt) as well as the pants (bottom half the suit). Undistorted pictures of the full getup later. I realize I am not wearing shoes, apologies in advance. It's the one well lit place suitable for pictures in my apartment, and the GF won't allow shoes there :)
To my untrained eye, the fit seems to be quite good. But that's why I'm here:post #5043 of 68677/6/14 at 7:00amI'm not sure if this is the right thread to post in, but since it is frequented by tailors, I thought I would try asking:
I am having an overcoat made and am pretty set on having turnback cuffs (w/o buttons). However, my tailor discouraged me from getting them, saying it takes too long to have them made up. I have a Brook Brothers overcoat with turnback cuffs and they indeed look a bit more complicated than normal cuffs, but I would think that creating working buttonholes on the sleeves is just as much effort as turnback cuffs. Could someone offer any insight?
(For clarification, my tailor is located overseas. I mailed him my fabric and he will have the basted fitting ready for me on my next visit. I hope to take the overcoat back home with me a week later, hence the time constraint.)post #5044 of 68677/8/14 at 4:13amI am sure I know the answer to this, but just in case:
I want to buy a particular suit - jacket and pants are sold separate. The jacket fits perfect as available in my size. I usually wear 31 inch waist pants; the smallest they have is 36.
Is it possible/advisable to attempt such alteration regardless of how good my tailor is? Or just a total waste of money?
Thanks!post #5045 of 68677/8/14 at 8:35amHi guys, another question:
I was hoping for some feedback about how you think this double breasted OTR suit blazer fits on me, and what alterations I need to make. It's full canvas if that makes a difference.
Principally, am thinking how much of the waist/chest I need to take in - I know double breasted blazers don't look good unless they have a more dramatic silhouette. I know that the sleeves will need to be adjusted both in width and in length. I'm also still thinking whether the jacket length needs to be shortened.
Please let me know what you think of the fit and also what alterations are needed. All feedback welcomed. Thanks!post #5046 of 68677/8/14 at 8:41amHi guys,
Might as well get this one in too - do you think any adjustments in terms of taking in the waist/chest need to be done to this jacket? This one is not as obvious a candidate as the above double breasted blazer because it is almost there (already took in the sleeves), it's just one size big (38 instead of the usual 36).
Many thanks!post #5047 of 68677/8/14 at 2:46pmpost #5048 of 68677/8/14 at 6:07pmpost #5049 of 68677/9/14 at 6:23pmpost #5050 of 68677/10/14 at 5:41ampost #5051 of 68677/10/14 at 6:15ampost #5052 of 68677/11/14 at 12:36pm
I have a question about the proper way to hem chinos. I just picked up two pairs of Incotex cotton chinos from a local alterations tailor I've had good luck with in the past. To my surprise, they finished both pairs like jeans: that is, with visible double seam, leaving no material for further alterations (except I suppose for shortening). This is not what I've expected, not what I've seen before on this type of pants, and there's no apparent way to fix it because they didn't leave enough fabric to do a more formal rolled under hem. Am I unreasonable in thinking chinos should not be finished this way?post #5053 of 68677/11/14 at 2:21pmSome chinos have a machine stitched hem as you describe and some are done with more of a turn up hem and finished by hand or with a blind stitch machine. If they were previously hemmed as opposed to unfinished bottoms when you brought them to the tailor, they would most likely have hemmed them in the same way as the original hem. If unfinished, they decided how to finish the hem. Now you know to specify the method of hemming you prefer.post #5054 of 68677/11/14 at 8:07pmpost #5055 of 68677/11/14 at 10:58pm
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Should your belt always match your shoes? 5 minutes ago
- › Cotton Joggers with zippers on the ankles? 5 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 6 minutes ago
- › Overcoat Advice 8 minutes ago
- › Suede Oxfords....with shorts? OK or not? 12 minutes ago
- › Chukka with Jeans - Suede or Leather? 13 minutes ago
- › Sleeve shortening with button holes 16 minutes ago
- › The Walking Dead (AMC) 21 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 22 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 23 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...