or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions - Page 315

post #4711 of 5133
guys--

Can you give me your impressions on this one? the side vents and other basting stitching still in, but the store didn't want to touch anything but stitch the buttonholes on this one. I can't tell if the middle is X-ing at the button or not? they are happy to do more alterations if need be, but hard to trust the sales reps all the time.

thoughts on fit? thank you!
post #4712 of 5133
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Foxx View Post

guys--

Can you give me your impressions on this one? the side vents and other basting stitching still in, but the store didn't want to touch anything but stitch the buttonholes on this one. I can't tell if the middle is X-ing at the button or not? they are happy to do more alterations if need be, but hard to trust the sales reps all the time.

thoughts on fit? thank you!

Hope the tailors can comment. I always like your stuff. Seems bit tight in the waist.

post #4713 of 5133
Chest is too small
post #4714 of 5133
Thanks for the look! Yep, I guess it is a trade off for me with most brands these days-- to get the nice trim fit under the arms, waist, etc i lose a bit in the chest fit. Other brands have a bit more room sometimes but when I size up to 40, stuff requires too many alterations and still doesn't look as good on sides and under arms
post #4715 of 5133
Hi tailors, @Despos

The chest and shoulders on this suit fit well, but there's wrinkling in the sleeves. Can that be fixed? Does it require rotating the sleeves?

Thanks!



post #4716 of 5133
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Hi tailors, @Despos

The chest and shoulders on this suit fit well, but there's wrinkling in the sleeves. Can that be fixed? Does it require rotating the sleeves?

Thanks!




I am not a tailor nor a fit expert, but it seems you also have an issue with the waist fit. Notice the wrinkle running from the closed button below the pockets (and also the lower button flaring out a bit)? Seems a bit tight to me (could be wrong though).
post #4717 of 5133

Hey guys. 

Sorry if the photos aren't to the best standard, but I had this thought running through my mind this evening when I had run out of things to do and thought I should get the thoughts of this great forum on it. :)

Recently, I purchased a suit which I believe fits me quite well (apart from the pants). Anyway, I'll cut to the chase - I am not satisfied with the way the trousers are fitting me, and was wondering what I can do to reduce the break and make them flow better so I can perfect these pants as best I can. Willing to listen to any recommendations, and it would be strongly appreciated. 
Just to be clear, this was an OTR suit I purchased from Country Road (http://www.countryroad.com.au/shop/man/the-suit-store/the-modern-tailored-suit) and I haven't tailored it one bit so far. 

I've also included an extra photo of the full suit, but please note that the pants look a lot more crinkled in that photo because at that point they weren't fully ironed and my mother really wanted to get a photo at that point, lol. 
Oh! I should add that I wear the pants fairly high to try and reduce this wrinkled look, obviously only as a temporary resort. 

Cheers,
Sky 

 

*

 

 

 

 

 

post #4718 of 5133

amateur opinion (not tailor): They just need hemming (shortening). Any alterations tailor you can find will do it for like ten bucks. They look a little tight in the top half to me, but workable. edit: it's also super-easy to see how hemming will look - just roll up the legs of the pants (to the inside).

 

Also, learn to do your own damn ironing, but you don't iron suit cloth (unless it's really cheap or 'washable' stuff, which you shouldn't buy anyway). Take it to the dry cleaners to have it pressed.

post #4719 of 5133

Thanks for your reply. 

I figured they probably needed to be hemmed. 
As for the ironing part, it is honestly a small area of wrinkles (lower legs) and an iron on cool over a medium sized cloth covering the fabric does not damage wool. 
If it needs to be done, it is safe to iron suit pants this way, if not, pressing is needed. 

But a trip to the dry cleaners on its first day? Nope. 
Enough of that, I'll take it in tomorrow to see what my local tailor thinks. 
Sky 

post #4720 of 5133

Hello all, first post in this thread. Got my first pair of pants from Luxire for which I used measurements of another pair of pants. I have about a 35 waist, but much bigger hips/thighs/butt, so RTW can be difficult for me which is why I am hoping that MTO can be the answer..

 

Looking for what I can ask for next time to get a better fit. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance:

 

 

 

post #4721 of 5133

Do suit/jacket shoulder seams need to be the exact measurement of your actual shoulder? If I bought a suit with an 18.5 inch shoulder to shoulder measurement, would it be too large for my 18 inch shoulders?

post #4722 of 5133
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForTweed123 View Post
 

Do suit/jacket shoulder seams need to be the exact measurement of your actual shoulder? If I bought a suit with an 18.5 inch shoulder to shoulder measurement, would it be too large for my 18 inch shoulders?

 

Not a tailor, but I have found shoulder measurements to be the easiest measurement to stray from when purchasing my jackets. The reason being that shoulder construction plays a HUGE role as well. I have some fairly structured jackets that I need to be pretty close to my actual shoulder measurement to look good. However, I also have some jackets with a softer shoulder and a slightly larger shoulder measurement has been fine. YMMV


Edited by luv2breformed - 4/11/14 at 11:50am
post #4723 of 5133
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2breformed View Post
 

 

Not a tailor, but I have found shoulder measurements to be the easiest measurement to stray from when purchasing my jackets. The reason being that shoulder construction plays a HUGE role as well. I have some fairly structured jackets that I need to be pretty close to my actual shoulder measurement to look good. However, I also have some jackets with a softer shoulder and a slightly larger shoulder measurement has been fine. YMMV

I was always under the impression that a shoulder that is too large/long will sag at the end and create divots? 

post #4724 of 5133
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForTweed123 View Post
 

I was always under the impression that a shoulder that is too large/long will sag at the end and create divots? 

 

See, I have that problem with more structured shoulders because the padding causes the fabric to divot when my arm isn't right there to fill the space up. However, with softer shoulders that are less structured and padded, I have found that the shoulder is more free to conform to my natural shoulder which may be a tad narrower. YMMV

post #4725 of 5133
Tailors: more of a theory question: for minnis fresco fabric, if I use dark canvassing, does it matter what color of lining is used (will the lining see through the open weave)?

Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions