or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions - Page 308

post #4606 of 5271

I I have acquired this suit from my dad, but it is a 40R (I usually wear a 38R). The shoulders are extremely padded, and I can't decide whether they are too wide for me? I also know that the jacket needs to be taken in and sleeves shortened and possibly tapered. I am also sorry for the poor photos, I have left my SLR/tripod at home.

 

Thank you for any suggestions!

 

 

 

post #4607 of 5271

You and your father are not the same size.  The suits must find another home.

post #4608 of 5271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsbebc View Post

You and your father are not the same size.  The suits must find another home.

Thanks, hah!
post #4609 of 5271

Hello,

 

I've been lurking here forever, and have always appreciated the great community and info you provide. I just received my first M2M suit from BlackLapel, and I would appreciate any input on the fit. I'm personally quite happy with it, but I have no reference for comparison, and your opinions would be helpful before I take it to the taylor. Thanks!

 

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

post #4610 of 5271
The jacket is too tight in the upper back. The pants are a mess, length included.

By the way, the shirt sleeves are too long.
post #4611 of 5271
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachrnz View Post

Hello,

I've been lurking here forever, and have always appreciated the great community and info you provide. I just received my first M2M suit from BlackLapel, and I would appreciate any input on the fit. I'm personally quite happy with it, but I have no reference for comparison, and your opinions would be helpful before I take it to the taylor. Thanks!


AppleMark


AppleMark


AppleMark


AppleMark


AppleMark


AppleMark


AppleMark


AppleMark


AppleMark


AppleMark

Not familiar with Black Lapel and have never purchased MTM but from what I have seen both here and else where the fit is pretty good. Sure there are some issues but it's MTM not bespoke. I'd imagine that the price was probably under a grand, so to can't expect the fit to be of Savile row standard.

As they say in Ireland "Health to wear".
post #4612 of 5271
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachrnz View Post
 

Hello,

 

I've been lurking here forever, and have always appreciated the great community and info you provide. I just received my first M2M suit from BlackLapel, and I would appreciate any input on the fit. I'm personally quite happy with it, but I have no reference for comparison, and your opinions would be helpful before I take it to the taylor. Thanks!

 

 

I agree that it's a little tight across the upper back, and that might be that the shoulders are a tiny bit too narrow.  I didn't notice it until it was pointed out, though, so it's up to you whether you find it enough of a problem to get altered.  Other than that, the jacket looks pretty darn good to me.  The pants are longer than I prefer, but I don't think that length is wrong, as a rule.  The way these particular pants break, however, I would definitely shorten them.  They don't break cleanly/vertically - you can see that they buckle a bit sideways mid way up your shin.  They also have a bit of a pucker on the inner right thigh, but I wouldn't be surprised if shortening them fixed most of the other drape issues.  I would see what they look like after shortening, before getting into spending more doing complicated/finicky alterations on them.  How heavy is the wool?  


Edited by ImTheGroom - 3/16/14 at 4:36pm
post #4613 of 5271
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post

The jacket is too tight in the upper back. The pants are a mess, length included.

By the way, the shirt sleeves are too long.

Thanks for the input. I had a feeling it might be too tight in the back because, well, it FELT too tight in the back. I'll plan to get the legs shortened up a little, but can you be more specific about the other problems in the pants? I'm posting new additional pictures to give you a better view of the pants. I see some waves starting right below the side pockets and stretching to behind my knees. Can or should this be fixed? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #4614 of 5271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTheGroom View Post
 

 

I agree that it's a little tight across the upper back, and that might be that the shoulders are a tiny bit too narrow; other than that, the jacket looks pretty darn good to me.  The pants are longer than I prefer, but I don't think that length is wrong, as a rule.  The way these particular pants break, however, I would definitely shorten them.  They don't break cleanly/vertically - you can see that they buckle a bit sideways mid way up your shin.  They also have a bit of a pucker on the inner right thigh, but I wouldn't be surprised if shortening them fixed most of the other drape issues.  Fortunately, that's an easy, and cheap, alteration.

Thanks! That's 2 votes to let it out a little in the shoulders and shorten the pants. BTW, I live in a smallish town in Texas, and I'm not sure how much I trust the local tailors. Is widening the shoulders a simple enough task?  

post #4615 of 5271

Widening the shoulders is not a very simple thing, as I understand.  A competent tailor can do it, but I would do your research on the local tailors; not sure how far you are from a larger centre, but I'd drive a little to be sure I had someone skilled do it.  There's no reason to assume that a local tailor can't do it, and being in a bigger city is no guarantee of quality workmanship either.

post #4616 of 5271
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post

The jacket is too tight in the upper back. The pants are a mess, length included.

By the way, the shirt sleeves are too long.

Hopefully he's not planning to wear that shirt with a suit.

zachrnz, you say you've been "lurking here forever." If that's the case, I'm surprised you opted for a black suit (it looks black in the pics, anyway) with hacking pockets and tacky contrast buttonhole stitching.
post #4617 of 5271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolve View Post

Hopefully he's not planning to wear that shirt with a suit.

zachrnz, you say you've been "lurking here forever." If that's the case, I'm surprised you opted for a black suit (it looks black in the pics, anyway) with hacking pockets and tacky contrast buttonhole stitching.

No, I don't plan to wear the shirt with a suit. The suit is actually navy, not black, and quiet clearly navy in person. The contrast and white balance of the photos makes it difficult to recognize.

As for the contrast stitching, I thought it would be far more subtle. I agree that it was a mistake, and I'm hoping my tailor can fix it.

I don't apologize for liking the slanting pockets, but I am surprised by your response. This isn't the only site I read, but in general the sartorial community seems to agree on certain points: no black suits, modern fitting, no athletic socks, etc. If there is a consensus here against hacking pockets, I hadn't noticed it here or anywhere else.
post #4618 of 5271
Hi tailors just need a quick feedback. Got this jacket altered from my tailor. The fit feel good. Just taken in mid section. Now my tailor didn't suppress the jacket all the way till the bottom. Today wearing the jacket 2nd time i felt the bottom is a bit too loose. Just 1 picture. do you think the bottom part loose or is it ok. How do you rate the over all fit ?
Thanks in advance.
post #4619 of 5271
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachrnz View Post

I don't apologize for liking the slanting pockets, but I am surprised by your response. This isn't the only site I read, but in general the sartorial community seems to agree on certain points: no black suits, modern fitting, no athletic socks, etc. If there is a consensus here against hacking pockets, I hadn't noticed it here or anywhere else.

The slanted pockets are probably fine, but are somewhat of an "advanced" option, and many will say they don't belong on a city/business suit.
post #4620 of 5271

deleted.


Edited by mobilenemo - 3/21/14 at 9:18am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions