Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Suit Recommendations for Style Upgrade from Traditional HF, HSM, and BB Last post on 9/22/11 at 7:00am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my new custom jacket Last post on 11/12/12 at 5:59pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Tuxedo Do I Need For A Black Tie Event?Last edited: 10/12/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions - Page 265
Styleforum Top Pickspost #3962 of 537810/3/13 at 8:47am
I Just have my second fitting today and in looks much better. Still could use some improvement tough. Please ignore the bad tie
It looks like I really could use fuller upper arm. The lower back is still a mess but tailor said ironing will solve it. is this true? How about the pants? is the taper too much?
Edited by renji - 10/3/13 at 8:57ampost #3963 of 537810/4/13 at 6:22pmpost #3964 of 537810/4/13 at 6:55pmpost #3965 of 537810/4/13 at 7:03pmYou need to size up or find a different cut. The front is too tight, but there's probably not enough material to let out in the crotch.
Bad case of gaping pockets
See this writeup
http://www.styleforum.net/t/315238/gaping-pockets/0_50post #3966 of 537810/5/13 at 12:11pm
hmmm, could i get a second opinion? i would have said i need to shorten the rise in the pants and pull them up from the waistband in the back so they hang off my waist and not just collapse around my thighs/calves. the jacket fabric collapses in between my shoulder blades in the upper back and needs to get shortened from the collar. am i really being too neurotic about the fit?post #3967 of 537810/6/13 at 12:45amThis is my first MTM suit from ProperSuit. It came out not as well as I expected, but I would appreciate any specific comments or advice. Someone suggested I post in this thread to get a professional opinion.
Also curious about what is going on with the strange lines on the pants and how can that be fixed.
Please click the spoiler link to see more pictures
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Thankspost #3968 of 537810/6/13 at 3:08am
Here's a Tom Ford suit I bought recently. Material is a wool/silk/linen blend. Colour is actually a dark charcoal, just looks brown in these shots, which are heavily post-processed due to poor lighting.
I would like some advice about jacket sleeve length (plus any other observations our resident tailors may care to make).
A couple of my own observations:
- It's a typical Tom Ford cut, probably not to everyone's taste, but I like it.
- the crease at the right upper back, below the shoulder, was from the jacket being compressed in the wardrobe. It follows the line of the shoulder pad. Maybe there's a bit too much material across the upper back? Minor issue, the crease is usually not there.
- you can see particularly in the second shot, that I have a mid-thoracic spinal kyphosis (due to teenage Scheuermann's Disease, confirmed on lateral chest X-ray). In order to keep my head up, I have to throw my stomach forward. Not much I can do about that. I mention it for the sake of completeness.
My most pressing issue is the sleeves - I think they are too long. But there is only 4cm between the sleeve edge and the base of the first button. Could I have them shortened a little, say 1.5cm taken from the end, or would this (a) make the buttons too close to the sleeve edge, (b) throw out the balance of the suit? If OTOH I have them shortened at the top, isn't this both a much bigger and much riskier undertaking?
Thanks for your collective feedback.post #3969 of 537810/6/13 at 4:09amThe sleeves need shortening 1/2" to 3/4", this will reduce the space from hem of the sleeve to the buttonhole but that is all you can do. You cannot shorten the sleeve from the top because of the plaid pattern in the cloth. You will lose the horizontal pattern matching in the upper sleeve which is a no- no.post #3970 of 537810/6/13 at 6:07pmpost #3971 of 537810/6/13 at 6:47pmShortening the sleeves won't have any negative effects on the proportions of the garment. The upper back has some fullness but not a major issue. The lines from the fullness are horizontal so it is just extra room. If they were diagonal, it would be more of a fit issue. The overall length of the jacket is fine. I am impressed with how well the jacket is balanced for your posture.post #3972 of 537810/6/13 at 6:58pm
Thanks again. You'll be even more impressed when I tell you that this is an OTR suit which has had no alterations at all! Just sheer, blind good luck that it fits me so well given my stoop, and especially seeing as I picked it up for half price!
Based on the above, I will go ahead and have the sleeves shortened a little. I think I can get away with taking them up by 1.5cm, leaving 2.5cm (= 1") length from new edge to first button.post #3973 of 537810/6/13 at 7:07pmpost #3974 of 537810/6/13 at 7:10pm
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 4 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 7 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments FW 14 8 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 9 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 20 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 23 minutes ago
- › Corter Leather Goods - Official Thread 23 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 32 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 33 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays
- › Last Minute Gifts for Dad
- › The Joy of Bad Christmas Movies
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...