or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions - Page 259

post #3871 of 5335
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4lnamja View Post

Hey everyone

This is a Zegna suit and I'm trying to figure out what are these little bumps near the lapel.

How do I fix/remedy this to make the suit look "normal"?

Thanks for all of your help!

Wouldn't normally ask this, but holy hell who the hell made that?!

That is the lapel pad stitching extending way too far into the chest of the jacket. Has to be opened up and the rows of stitching have to be undone because they are going thru the canvas just slightly into the actual cloth which is where the dimples come from. Usually you only see this under the lapel.
post #3872 of 5335
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4lnamja View Post

Hey everyone

This is a Zegna suit and I'm trying to figure out what are these little bumps near the lapel.

How do I fix/remedy this to make the suit look "normal"?

Thanks for all of your help!

We're you trying to adjust the lapel roll here? I ask because the right and left coat fronts look so different and the lapel is rolling higher than it should . Looks like something happened to the left side but not the right.
post #3873 of 5335
Multi quote isnt working on my mobile so mh applogies.

@OTC- Opening the jacket up and cut to release ? Oh my. Sounds like a lot of work. The suit is mainline zegna and just noticed this after not wearing for a few yrs

@Despos - no, I wasn't doing anything with the lapels but did notice one was more wide than the other.


All - would it still be worth the alteration fee to fix this issue? I'm trying to find out how much this would cost. Cheers
post #3874 of 5335

I need to get the sleeves on my suit jacket shortened about an inch. It has working button cuffs and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a tailor in nyc? Trying to spend as little as possible but make sure it gets done right.


Edited by snowboardpunk - 9/16/13 at 10:18am
post #3875 of 5335
Despos has a great point as well. It may have been pressed out of shape somehow because that roll line looks too high over the buttons. Better straightforward pics would help but the jacket needs to be examined by someone who knows garment construction to see what's really going on. Hard to estimate a cost when you don't know precisely the problem. Repost pics or inbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4lnamja View Post

Multi quote isnt working on my mobile so mh applogies.

@OTC- Opening the jacket up and cut to release ? Oh my. Sounds like a lot of work. The suit is mainline zegna and just noticed this after not wearing for a few yrs

@Despos - no, I wasn't doing anything with the lapels but did notice one was more wide than the other.


All - would it still be worth the alteration fee to fix this issue? I'm trying to find out how much this would cost. Cheers
post #3876 of 5335

How is the fit on this suit?  Is it too large?  


Any advice most gratefully appreciated!  I have yet to hem the pants to the correct length.

 

Jacket buttoned:

Created with GIMPCreated with GIMP

Created with GIMPCreated with GIMP

 

Jacket unbuttoned:

Quote:

 

Created with GIMPCreated with GIMP

Created with GIMPCreated with GIMP

 

Some poses:

Quote:

 

Created with GIMPCreated with GIMP

Created with GIMPCreated with GIMP

 

Fit of pants:

Quote:

 

 

Created with GIMPCreated with GIMPCreated with GIMP

Created with GIMP

post #3877 of 5335

Here's my first post. I've been reading avidly for about 9 months, but I finally have something that calls for posting.

 

I'll be grateful for any suggestions about fit revision for this blue shirt which was made by Luxire. (The white one—from Modern Tailor—is included just for collar comparison.)
My primary concern is the collar; my main motivation for walking the MTM path is to get a couple of shirts that I can comfortably wear a tie with without having the shirt be a tent. I don't wear a tie very often, but I think that I would if I had some shirts that were suitable.

 

Wearing the blue shirt makes me very stiff-necked. I don't feel or look comfortable in it. My Adam's apple is well below the rim of the collar. It seems to me that if I just asked for the collar to not be so tall my problem would not be addressed; what I seem to most need is for the stand to be…well…closer to my belly button. But I acknowledge that I comment from a place of ignorance.


Might anyone suggest what sorts of directions I should include in my next order so that I can get closer to a comfortable collar?

I include the white shirt photo because its collar already is much more comfortable than that of the blue shirt. My Adam's apple can be free of the buttoned collar when I wear the white one. I don't believe that there is much difference in the height of the collar stands, but the hole for my neck is lower in the front on that white shirt.

 

Thank you all for being such a font of wisdom!

Insights? Suggestions?
I certainly welcome comments about things other than the collar, too!

 

 

:Shirter

EDIT:  I've realized that the name for what I need modified is "neckline"; I think I need a lower neckline. Help!

 

 

 

 

 

Side (Click to show)

 

 

 

Front, raised arms (Click to show)

 

 

 

Front, arms out to side (Click to show)

 

 

 

Front (Click to show)

 

 

 

Side (Click to show)

 

 

 

Back, arms out to the side (Click to show)

 

 

 

Back, relaxed (Click to show)

 

 

White front (Click to show)

 

 

 

White side (Click to show)

Edited by Shirter - 9/17/13 at 8:06am
post #3878 of 5335

x-post from the Luxire thread:

 

 have a couple of questions about trouser measurements.  I genuinely don't have any trousers whose fit I'm satisfied with to measure, so I'm going to try to change measurements from my best alternative for an order at Luxire.  Currently I get the most wear out of RTW BB gabardines which I size up and then have altered to fit.  The problem with these pants (and all other RTW I've found) is that they fit too tight OTR in the crotch/seat when I choose the correct waist size.  I can justify sizing up and altering when I'm buying on sale <$100. However I want to branch out with a couple of pair of flannels and at $250 for BB I decided it doesn't make sense to settle for a compromised fit.  So my question is: if I take the measurements from my best fitting pair per Luxire's measurement guide, would adding 1" to the front and back rise be sufficient to allow the extra room I'm looking for?  I understand that they won't fit perfect the first order, but if I can find the right fit I'll likely order my trousers MTM from moving forward.  Thanks in advance.

post #3879 of 5335
@ Despos et al.


Hoping you can help out here


Can you recommend how much shorten these pants by to end up with a quarter break? I don't like how they're puddling in the front. I'm thinking about 0.5 inches to 0.75 inches each

The tropical wool seems to drape the worst. Very messy look.


Brown tropical wool (Howard Yount) - 41.75 inches from waist to hem
brown_zps14ae1422.jpg


Khaki medium weight wool (Polo RL by Corneliani) - 41.25 inches from waist to hem
khaki_zpsd5335a4c.jpg


Grey flannel (Polo RL by Corneliani) - 41.5 inches from waist to hem
grey_zps921183c7.jpg


I'd like to end up with something like this:


quarter2_zps377cf867.jpg
post #3880 of 5335
Hi! I tried asking this in ask and answer, but got no response. Wondering if anyone knows a good tailor in Austin? I can always Google but would trust personal experience first.

Thanks!
post #3881 of 5335
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgill79 View Post

Hi! I tried asking this in ask and answer, but got no response. Wondering if anyone knows a good tailor in Austin? I can always Google but would trust personal experience first.

Thanks!

Wrong thread. I'd suggest posting a question in the "Ask Any Question" thread.
post #3882 of 5335
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4lnamja View Post

Wrong thread. I'd suggest posting a question in the "Ask Any Question" thread.
As I said, I did try that thread to no avail. Thanks anyway.
post #3883 of 5335

after reading the last few posts...

I just couldn't help it

post #3884 of 5335

Got this jacket as second-hand, but it seems that it will require some heavy alterations. It's an unlined unstructured SuitSupply Copenhagen in 42R. Can a tailor do anything for this jacket that wouldn't bump the price excessively (more than $100). The arrows highlight the issues I'm seeing.

 

My first question is: is the jacket just too small?

 

My guess is that my chest is too big and it causes the weird rumpling below the armpits, and my arms are probably too big for the sleeves and shoulders extend too far. 

 

 

 

 

Forgive me for the dreadful picture, but I was in a hurry and had no access to a proper dress shirt, so I was stuck wearing a polo. I will get more pictures later.

post #3885 of 5335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironballs View Post
 

Got this jacket as second-hand, but it seems that it will require some heavy alterations. It's an unlined unstructured SuitSupply Copenhagen in 42R. Can a tailor do anything for this jacket that wouldn't bump the price excessively (more than $100). The arrows highlight the issues I'm seeing.

 

My first question is: is the jacket just too small?

 

My guess is that my chest is too big and it causes the weird rumpling below the armpits, and my arms are probably too big for the sleeves and shoulders extend too far. 

 

 

 

 

Forgive me for the dreadful picture, but I was in a hurry and had no access to a proper dress shirt, so I was stuck wearing a polo. I will get more pictures later.

 

it is too small. THat's the short version.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions