or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions - Page 233

post #3481 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

Not yet. I wanted to come here first so I had some suggestions.

contact them. Even with advice out of this forum, it'll probably confuse them.

post #3482 of 5281

I sent them the pictures with the little bit of advice you gave me over PM. She said she'll get back to me in a few days.

post #3483 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

I wouldn't give feedback but I will say, why did you stand in the shade with the sun right there? Nobody can critique that.


I'll conceed that it was quite silly to stand there, but you can still see all the lines of the jacket, at least you can on the monitor I'm looking on, I'll get some more pictures but if anyone has any critique meanwhile I'd still welcome it.

post #3484 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleco View Post


I'll conceed that it was quite silly to stand there, but you can still see all the lines of the jacket, at least you can on the monitor I'm looking on, I'll get some more pictures but if anyone has any critique meanwhile I'd still welcome it.

Good idea. Just trying to be helpful. You saw my pants pictures.. I feel bad they're that dark. You can't get the professional level of expertise from OTC if you're partially shadowed. If that was in the sun, that'd be great - the parts I can see are very well lit.

Could still be worse. After time and time again of being told no mirror shot iPhone pics, people still post them.

post #3485 of 5281

We should have the mod/op prepare a paypal link requiring $1 in order to post iphone mirror pics

post #3486 of 5281

I just bought a suit from a sample sale but the sleeves are too long. Their working surgeon cuffs and the tailor in portland wants 140 dollars to shorten them from the shoulder. Is there any other alternative to reduce the length by an inch or an inch and half? Im willing to lose a button as well....

post #3487 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardpunk View Post

I just bought a suit from a sample sale but the sleeves are too long. Their working surgeon cuffs and the tailor in portland wants 140 dollars to shorten them from the shoulder. Is there any other alternative to reduce the length by an inch or an inch and half? Im willing to lose a button as well....

Check those sleeves. Are the cuffs finished in a way that might permit an alteration up or down half an inch? Sometimes they're sewn like that. If you're unsure, snap a picture of the inside of the sleeve cuff right below the buttonholes and send it to me and I'll confirm. Even if they're built like that, you still only have about .5". Even if you "lose a buttonhole", you still don't want the buttons right at the edge of the cuff so you can't really lose a button and maintain a nice appearance. In reality, the only way to shorten sleeves with working cuffs is indeed to take them up from the shoulder. There is such a thing as a "cut job" where the cuff of the sleeve is essentially severed off and moved up but that's probably just as expensive and the visual result isn't great on a suit. 

SO...

Hopefully, the tailor charging you that kindof money (which actually is about normal) to do that job is actually familiar with constructing the shoulders on a suit in order to do it right. To do it right, it's really a matter of making sure no major stretching occurs when dismantling the pieces, making sure to properly press and prep them for reassembly, making sure to evenly cut the lengths unless they're an uneven match, and making sure to properly reset the ease in the sleevehead prior to mounting them back to the jacket. It's a complicated procedure, for sure. 

post #3488 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTCtailor View Post

Check those sleeves. Are the cuffs finished in a way that might permit an alteration up or down half an inch? Sometimes they're sewn like that. If you're unsure, snap a picture of the inside of the sleeve cuff right below the buttonholes and send it to me and I'll confirm. Even if they're built like that, you still only have about .5". Even if you "lose a buttonhole", you still don't want the buttons right at the edge of the cuff so you can't really lose a button and maintain a nice appearance. In reality, the only way to shorten sleeves with working cuffs is indeed to take them up from the shoulder. There is such a thing as a "cut job" where the cuff of the sleeve is essentially severed off and moved up but that's probably just as expensive and the visual result isn't great on a suit. 
SO...
Hopefully, the tailor charging you that kindof money (which actually is about normal) to do that job is actually familiar with constructing the shoulders on a suit in order to do it right. To do it right, it's really a matter of making sure no major stretching occurs when dismantling the pieces, making sure to properly press and prep them for reassembly, making sure to evenly cut the lengths unless they're an uneven match, and making sure to properly reset the ease in the sleevehead prior to mounting them back to the jacket. It's a complicated procedure, for sure. 
[IMG][IMG]

Here are some pictures as I'm not sure. But dang 140 is more than what I paid for the jacket.
post #3489 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardpunk View Post


[IMG][IMG]

Here are some pictures as I'm not sure. But dang 140 is more than what I paid for the jacket.

Tough luck...Doesn't look like they can be adjusted. Look at this picture. You can see how the sleeve hem is folded over. This allows for adjusting up or down .5" 

post #3490 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTCtailor View Post

contact them. Even with advice out of this forum, it'll probably confuse them.

 

1. "Pull the back panels of the pant up" slightly. It will decrease the rise and straighten the curves at the back of the thighs.
 
2. Decrease the hips by 0.25" on the front and the back.
 
Luxires suggestion was pretty much what I said, too. I'll give it a try. Do you have any suggestions? It should at least look better.
post #3491 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

 

1. "Pull the back panels of the pant up" slightly. It will decrease the rise and straighten the curves at the back of the thighs.
 
2. Decrease the hips by 0.25" on the front and the back.
 
Luxires suggestion was pretty much what I said, too. I'll give it a try. Do you have any suggestions? It should at least look better.

Pulled the back panel up 2cm (.8") and put .25" of the waist on each side in. It looks like I've got diapers on. 

 

 

 

 

 

post #3492 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTCtailor View Post

Tough luck...Doesn't look like they can be adjusted. Look at this picture. You can see how the sleeve hem is folded over. This allows for adjusting up or down .5" 

 

 

ok thanks. I guess ill have to take them up at the shoulders. 

post #3493 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

Pulled the back panel up 2cm (.8") and put .25" of the waist on each side in. It looks like I've got diapers on. 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

More pictures. I took the rear rise in (not up but in) a little bit.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #3494 of 5281

Do we post shirts here, too?

post #3495 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugotes View Post

Do we post shirts here, too?

Anything.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions