Well that's up to you. I'm just letting you know that the procedure to shorten working cuff sleeves from the shoulder is risky period...very risky when done beyond 1". If you've had it done before by a good tailor and you're happy with the result, then by all means do proceed. If you have only had sleeves shortened from the hem and you're unsure of the tailor's skill, I'd proceed with caution. Also, if the sleeves are that long, are you sure the jacket is the right length? Usually a maker who makes working cuff sleeves on RTW jackets is pretty confident in their measurements/cuts. You see this with Tom Ford.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Suit Recommendations for Style Upgrade from Traditional HF, HSM, and BB Last post on 9/22/11 at 7:00am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my new custom jacket Last post on 11/12/12 at 5:59pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Tuxedo Do I Need For A Black Tie Event?Last edited: 10/12/12
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions - Page 227post #3391 of 52816/9/13 at 8:28pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #3392 of 52816/9/13 at 8:34pmQuote:
The back of the jacket may need work. Too hard to tell with the way you've taken the pics. FYI, the posing isn't necessary...it only distorts what a tailor needs to see to comment on fit. Check the first post in the whole thread for instructions on how to post proper pics. It's for your best interest. Also, I don't think the shirt sleeves are too long. I think they're too loose which makes them appear too long. They should fall just below the break in your wrist right onto the base of your thumb. There should be a bit of blousing in the sleeve so that when you extend your arm, say, to talk on the phone you can still show the appropriate amount of cuff. This is a Flusser-ism...and it makes sense.post #3393 of 52816/9/13 at 9:47pm
I think your jacket lenght is fine...rule is it should be around the base of your thumb so that's fine. you should have it take in at the waist to enhance the shape of your body...the shirt though (not sure if you are asking opinions on that as well) but you should get a custom shirt..you are a fairly fit guy..it's too bad to wear a shirt that makes you look overweightpost #3394 of 52816/9/13 at 10:10pmNeeds better pictures. Put a tie on or button top button to test for collar gap. pants too long unless its your personal preference.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Quote:Originally Posted by michaelyork
How is the fit on this suit? Is the fit alright or is it too long, or too big, or? I need to hem pants, get the sleeves done, take off basting thread, etc.
Any advice gratefully appreciated!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #3395 of 52816/10/13 at 9:47am
Quote:Originally Posted by OTCtailor
The back of the jacket may need work. Too hard to tell with the way you've taken the pics. FYI, the posing isn't necessary...it only distorts what a tailor needs to see to comment on fit. Check the first post in the whole thread for instructions on how to post proper pics. It's for your best interest. Also, I don't think the shirt sleeves are too long. I think they're too loose which makes them appear too long. They should fall just below the break in your wrist right onto the base of your thumb. There should be a bit of blousing in the sleeve so that when you extend your arm, say, to talk on the phone you can still show the appropriate amount of cuff. This is a Flusser-ism...and it makes sense.OTCtailor, the back of the jacket has two vents which are still sewn shut. I have yet to remove the stitches there. I very removed the stitches to take these photos, because it really did look awkward without the natural flow the vents give to the shape.The pants are not hemmed either, just rolled up on the inside.Thanks for the tips about photos, I'll read the first post carefully.The shirt is too large, I think--I know. I just put on the first shirt I could find to try the suit for fit.Quote:Originally Posted by GastonSharp
I think your jacket lenght is fine...rule is it should be around the base of your thumb so that's fine. you should have it take in at the waist to enhance the shape of your body...the shirt though (not sure if you are asking opinions on that as well) but you should get a custom shirt..you are a fairly fit guy..it's too bad to wear a shirt that makes you look overweight
Yeah, you're right, the shirt is too big. I should try sizing down and then taking in the torso.Quote:Originally Posted by lychyrychy
Needs better pictures. Put a tie on or button top button to test for collar gap. pants too long unless its your personal preference.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)[/SPOILER]
pants aren't hemmed...i'll post a proper pic, with tie, accessories, etc. once i take all the basting threads off the suit. thanks.post #3396 of 52816/10/13 at 10:15amBlue MTM edited.JPG 535k .JPG file
Grey OTR edited.JPG 566k .JPG file
Please pardon the photo quality in advance. I am not really a photo enthusiast (Read: I lack the SLR Pro and Tripod) and I don't really have friends I am comfortable asking for a small fashion photoshoot (maybe I need different friends haha?). My question only concerns the button stance on a RLBL MTM commission that I had made for the MTM even (i.e. same cost as OTR). My jacket came in with a higher button stance than requested and I have been offered to do one of the following:
-Keep the jacket I have (I am not sure if it actually may look better than the lower button stance b/c my chest is about as wide as my hips)
-Change the jacket for an OTR model in the same cloth (first time trying the MTM with them so purposely tried a fabric so I could swap it if this happened)
-Get the jacket recut with a lower button stance (I am a bit concerned that a) it will take forever b) they will mess something else up since they'll give me another block pattern that may not fit me as well)
Any thoughts? Is my lower body relevant to decide this? I'll bite the bullet and just ask someone to take a pic if so.
Look forward to your thoughts and any recommendation for an alterations tailor in Manhattan or Brooklyn that can take a look in person as I think I'd prefer that but have no idea who I'd go to. I have read the recommendations for pepino and have gone to wilfred (ruined pants for me) but I don't have the kind of cash it takes to mess up a suit and chalk it up to a data point on my suiting experience so if anyone has someone that's reliable and not against a younger slimmer fit I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance for the pearls of wisdom/suggestions.
Edited by jcep - 6/10/13 at 10:37ampost #3397 of 52816/10/13 at 12:42pmpost #3398 of 52816/11/13 at 2:08ampost #3399 of 52816/11/13 at 3:01pmQuote:
Completely understand Sugarbutch. It makes sense. Would it be possible for you or maybe some of the other members (ideally Despos, Jeffrey, or OTC tailor ) to recommend someone in Manhattan or Brooklyn that could look at this in person? I have gone to Wilfred and the guys at the Tailoring Room but the former messed up a garment irreparably and the latter is more for simpler stuff so I guess I'm looking for someone with equivalent skills to the tailors on this thread. Any ideas? I did use the search function but it seems to me that maybe someone comparable in skill would be a bespoke suitmaker and since I'm not a customer I'm not sure if he or she would take the time to see me.
Any thoughts sugarbutch or anyone else?post #3400 of 52816/11/13 at 7:30pmpost #3401 of 52816/11/13 at 7:36pmQuote:
Will this do? ( blue is MTM grey is OTR)post #3402 of 52816/11/13 at 9:08pmpost #3403 of 52816/11/13 at 9:18pmpost #3404 of 52816/12/13 at 7:58am
When taking in a jacket for waist supression (double vented) do they take it in on the sides that run up from the vents? That's where they marked mine yesterday and I was a little suspicious about it but was too puss to say anything.. I can call now and tell them to not touch it or change which seams they alter if need be.
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?
- › Watch@@==Live=Georgia State vs Georgia Southern Live Stream 28 seconds ago
- › LIVE TV=Watch Liverpool vs Hull City live streaming 36 seconds ago
- › Watch@@==Live=Akron vs Ball State Live Stream 1 minute ago
- › Watch@@==Live=Ball State vs Akron Live Stream 2 minutes ago
- › SOCCER TV= Watch Sheffield Wednesday vs Norwich City live streaming 2 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 2 minutes ago
- › Watch@@==Live=Massachusetts vs Toledo Live Stream 3 minutes ago
- › SOCCER TV= Watch Reading vs Blackpool live streamin 3 minutes ago
- › SOCCER TV= Watch Nottingham Forest vs Blackburn Rovers live streaming 3 minutes ago
- › Watch@@==Live=Toledo vs Massachusetts Live Stream 4 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...