or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions - Page 165

post #2461 of 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0bbie View Post

1000

 

1000

 

1000

 

1000

 

1000

 

 

Please help with the alteration. I realize that the jacket's sleeves are too long, as well as the length of the jacket. Anything else I should do? 

It looks to be too big in the shoulders. This jacket is probably a full size or two too large and if it's a "Long", you'd probably benefit from a short. 

Unless you're emotionally attached to this jacket, the alterations required won't really give you a quality result...especially shortening the jacket.

And...all of that is $$

post #2462 of 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horenste View Post

I have a quick question about alterations in the seat. My local vintage shop has a beautiful Harris Tweed Jacket for sale at $75. The shoulders fit perfectly (no dimples, good movement, no pull lines), the sleeves need a slight alteration (.25-.5 reduction), but i notice dthe single vent in the back is flying open like the tan jacket on page 162. Is there anything a tailor will be able to do to fix this or should i pass up on the jacket?
Thanks!

Ah if only people had easy access to a camera where they could take pictures and post them to the internet at will....damn when will technology finally catch up?!

 

In all seriousness, There could be a few things making this happen. 

You didn't mention too tight in waist and seat so I'll cautiously rule that out that it's pulling.

You could have shoulders that are more square with posture more erect than the jacket is cut for.

You could have a protruding seat

It may only need a good pressing

It may have been altered before in a way that would affect the balance on your body.

Can it be fixed? Most likely. But just like on a car, what is the problem and how big of a job is it? 

Unfortunately, without a picture or 3 front side and back preferably in good lighting, we can't tell.confused.gif

post #2463 of 5146
Quote:
I have a quick question about alterations in the seat. My local vintage shop has a beautiful Harris Tweed Jacket for sale at $75. The shoulders fit perfectly (no dimples, good movement, no pull lines), the sleeves need a slight alteration (.25-.5 reduction), but i notice dthe single vent in the back is flying open like the tan jacket on page 162. Is there anything a tailor will be able to do to fix this or should i pass up on the jacket?


More than one cause but a photo is needed to diagnose what your fix could be. Most common cause is a long back balance. You can tell by the side view if the back is longer than the front. Pull the back up at the center seam under the collar and you will see the vent straighten. Overly suppressed waist and and hip is another cause.
post #2464 of 5146

Thanks OTCtailor for all your helpful suggestions, I'll be sure to communicate those to them at the next fitting, luckily alterations are covered. Appreciate the inputs from others as well! It's good to know that the suit is not a lost cause :)

post #2465 of 5146
Looking for opinions on this J. Crew suit, wondering if I should buy.




Notes:
- First suit jacket that actually covers my ass
- Jacket size: 36R / pants: 30x30
- Was in a rush to take pictures; sleeves are a bit longer irl. Can be shortened.
- I cuffed the pants to see how they would look post-hem.

Thanks!
post #2466 of 5146

Sleeves too long. Jacket too tight; check the seams for room to let out. Are your hips uneven? If so, the trousers are a touch too short unless you want to slim them down a great deal through the calves, which will cause that suit to look rather. dated five years from now. If they just rode up on one leg or I'm seeing the picture wrong, the pants may be good. The jacket overall is a touch long, with the button a bit past the natural waist, and the shoulders are a bit wide.

post #2467 of 5146

Thank you for helping us with this thread!

 

I recently got this jacket at a steep discount, and was curious about how I should get it tailored or if I should return it? Please ignore the too-long sleeves from my shirt.

 

 

 

 

1000

 

1000

 

1000

 

 

I apologize for the lousy iPhone pics and feel free to request more pictures.

post #2468 of 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase H View Post

Sleeves too long. Jacket too tight; check the seams for room to let out. Are your hips uneven? If so, the trousers are a touch too short unless you want to slim them down a great deal through the calves, which will cause that suit to look rather. dated five years from now. If they just rode up on one leg or I'm seeing the picture wrong, the pants may be good. The jacket overall is a touch long, with the button a bit past the natural waist, and the shoulders are a bit wide.

I cuffed the pants in the picture above; they're actually 2-3 inches longer than shown.

Come to think of it, the jacket was definitely a bit long, which is why I needed a second opinion.

Guess that's a no.
post #2469 of 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post


I cuffed the pants in the picture above; they're actually 2-3 inches longer than shown.
Come to think of it, the jacket was definitely a bit long, which is why I needed a second opinion.
Guess that's a no.

It's not awful, although one of the best barometers for fit is whether the back's clean, and there was no picture of that, but the balance is a bit low. If you could try a 36 short, I would expect that to overall fit you pretty well. You'd probably still need to shorten the sleeves and let out the jacket a bit, and, of course, talk to Despos or A Tailor or another tailor. 

post #2470 of 5146

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

This is my first attempt at going custom. These are from Indochino. I have read some negative things about them, but only since the order was completed. I should have done my research beforehand. 

 

That said, I think the sleeves are too long. It should be noted, though, that the shirt I am wearing does not have sleeves long enough. I need to get a shirt custom made as well. I am just abnormally skinny and long and I just can't find a store that makes clothes that way. Any advice would be great!

 

Thanks in advance!

post #2471 of 5146

 Let me ask the tailors this question. I asked it in the Double Breasted thread but nobody answered it. 

 

 I saw a used DB coat for sale but the outside lapel was sticking out.

 

 Would a tailor be able to correct this by moving the buttons?

post #2472 of 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by FillW View Post

 Let me ask the tailors this question. I asked it in the Double Breasted thread but nobody answered it. 

 I saw a used DB coat for sale but the outside lapel was sticking out.

 Would a tailor be able to correct this by moving the buttons?

Have no idea what you are asking or what the issue is.
post #2473 of 5146
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwhiti View Post

700


700


700


700


700


700


700


700


700


700


700


700
This is my first attempt at going custom. These are from Indochino. I have read some negative things about them, but only since the order was completed. I should have done my research beforehand. 

That said, I think the sleeves are too long. It should be noted, though, that the shirt I am wearing does not have sleeves long enough. I need to get a shirt custom made as well. I am just abnormally skinny and long and I just can't find a store that makes clothes that way. Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance!


Your results are better than most. Sleeves could be a touch shorter. Jackets are basically ok. You have a low left shoulder and high left hip that effects the drape of the jacket and trouser.

Would shorten the trousers and have the seat and crotch taken in. Waist too if it is loose.
post #2474 of 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post


Have no idea what you are asking or what the issue is.

I'm guessing he means the topmost lapel (so, left lapel) bows outwards (doesn't lie flat against the body).

post #2475 of 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWill View Post

I'm guessing he means the topmost lapel (so, left lapel) bows outwards (doesn't lie flat against the body).


 Yeah. If I unbutton it I can get it to lie against my chest. Someone in the DB thread mentioned he was having his tailor move the buttons on a coat he has to get the lapel to lie against his chest normally.

 

 It's a used coat at a second hand store but it looks great and fits good otherwise.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions