or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions - Page 133

post #1981 of 5378
DANIS
cant see anything the picture is all solid black.
no detail at all.
post #1982 of 5378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardee View Post

Hi folks, here's my first post for these forums:

A bespoke dinner suit I thrifted some time ago for my senior prom. Had it altered slightly to fit, but I still think it needs let out at the skirt, the non-vented back isn't used to my butt-size (family inheritance...).
I'm not very trim, but I'm not burly, Freshman 15 has not been kind to me...

It suffers from some 80s fads (tag says '89), like the double reverse pleats, which I don't mind, and the cringe-worthy low-buttoning stance and I'm wondering if I could have it doctored by having the button hole unraveled and rewoven via inweaving method, and have it raised half an inch to make this a more timeless piece.

The pants are ballooning because they weren't pressed too well. Fixed that though. I barreled my cuff too, I find it more comfy as the OTR shirt I'm wearing suffers from having enlarged double cuffs as many others, and the sleeve opening for the coat is rather narrow. Also, need me some proper evening braces.


the reweave that size would cost a small fortune.
you have 2 holes to reweave one outside, and one inside.
then make a new buttonhole, and hope it works out ok.
and all for just a half inch?
post #1983 of 5378
Just got my suit remade from indochino. What do you guys think? Do I still need any changes? It seems like the shoulder pads are a bit thicker after the remake even though I requested natural shoulders.



post #1984 of 5378

I think the button sits too high, and the coat is just shy of being too short. A bit more flaring at the skirt might not be either. But what do I know? I'm no tailor. :)

post #1985 of 5378
Tailors: Do you have any experience with the Edward Sexton trick (well, that's how I know of it) of sewing the crease into trousers? If so, would you care to share your thoughts on it?

On all but the heaviest of my flannels, the crease usually doesn't hold up through the day, and on a relatively loosely woven fabric suit I have, the trousers basically won't hold a crease for longer than a couple of hours. These are all from reputable makers and not really light weights, so I don't think it's a matter of fabric quality.
post #1986 of 5378
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Tailors: Do you have any experience with the Edward Sexton trick (well, that's how I know of it) of sewing the crease into trousers? If so, would you care to share your thoughts on it?
On all but the heaviest of my flannels, the crease usually doesn't hold up through the day, and on a relatively loosely woven fabric suit I have, the trousers basically won't hold a crease for longer than a couple of hours. These are all from reputable makers and not really light weights, so I don't think it's a matter of fabric quality.

Edward Sexton trick? If we're talking about the same thing, my tailor calls it a permanent crease. Reminded me of a military (dress) uniform...
post #1987 of 5378

Why is the buttonhole side lapel ending prematurely? The jacket was given to me; I wouldn't have purchased it because of the lapel issue. Is it even an issue? And if so, can it be fixed? (also, I'm aware the jacket sleeves are too long)

post #1988 of 5378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Why is the buttonhole side lapel ending prematurely? The jacket was given to me; I wouldn't have purchased it because of the lapel issue. Is it even an issue? And if so, can it be fixed? (also, I'm aware the jacket sleeves are too long) Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

If this has been thru the drycleaners a few times, first thing would be have it pressed properly by a tailor. If the issue comes back after having it pressed then the collar is too long on the left side and can be adjusted. The roll of the lapel is controlled by the collar.
post #1989 of 5378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post


HOLY. FUCK.

All that from one picture?!?

worship2.gif

[EDIT]: Sorry for the double post. I sort of forgot that I had just posted. I was just really impressed.

no claghorn, i am not that smart.
you didnt check the spoiler.
post #1990 of 5378

Gentlemen, I would love some feedback on this suit I got from Indochino. Something's off with the sleeves, can't put my finger on it. Thoughts?

 

 

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

post #1991 of 5378
BUMP!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Tailors: Do you have any experience with the Edward Sexton trick (well, that's how I know of it) of sewing the crease into trousers? If so, would you care to share your thoughts on it?

On all but the heaviest of my flannels, the crease usually doesn't hold up through the day, and on a relatively loosely woven fabric suit I have, the trousers basically won't hold a crease for longer than a couple of hours. These are all from reputable makers and not really light weights, so I don't think it's a matter of fabric quality.
post #1992 of 5378

Can someone please advice me as to what to inform the tailor (just want to go in with some knowledge and communicate my opinion) if I wish to alter my pants (bottom pic) to be almost like the top one as, to me, the top one is good fit for my body (approx. 163cm - 5'3) and style is nice (as I prefer slim fit cause baggy stuff just looks horrible on me) 

 

Here's the picture:

http://f.cl.ly/items/3M141R0g0B2P2s0L411d/Pants%20Comparison.jpg

I specifically made the picture bright and contrasted so you can see the outlines. 

 

What I'm thinking about the pants I want to alter (bottom pic)

-Front rise looks okay and both is very similar to an extent as only difference is the length from bottom of zip to the part where it curves inward..don't need to change??

-Thigh area is too wide

-Seat/area for butt is too big/baggy

 

Sorry for the non-technical terms, which is why I wish to know what specific areas/terms I should tell the tailor, like change whatever seam, etc. to make it similar to the my good fitting pants.

 

And is it possible to bring the good fitting pants and let the tailor measure it and alter my pants according to it?

 

Thanks in advance!

post #1993 of 5378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevey6404 View Post

Can someone please advice me as to what to inform the tailor (just want to go in with some knowledge and communicate my opinion) if I wish to alter my pants (bottom pic) to be almost like the top one as, to me, the top one is good fit for my body (approx. 163cm - 5'3) and style is nice (as I prefer slim fit cause baggy stuff just looks horrible on me) 

Here's the picture:
http://f.cl.ly/items/3M141R0g0B2P2s0L411d/Pants%20Comparison.jpg
I specifically made the picture bright and contrasted so you can see the outlines. 

What I'm thinking about the pants I want to alter (bottom pic)
-Front rise looks okay and both is very similar to an extent as only difference is the length from bottom of zip to the part where it curves inward..don't need to change??
-Thigh area is too wide
-Seat/area for butt is too big/baggy

Sorry for the non-technical terms, which is why I wish to know what specific areas/terms I should tell the tailor, like change whatever seam, etc. to make it similar to the my good fitting pants.

And is it possible to bring the good fitting pants and let the tailor measure it and alter my pants according to it?

Thanks in advance!

go to the tailor wearing the good fitting trousers. show him what you want.
then put on the trousers to alter. be sure to cinch up the belt.
then point out the areas of concern.
post #1994 of 5378
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

BUMP!
[/quot

its not edward sextons trick . its any tailors trick.
the stitched crease shows that its been stitched.
especially if the thread is not perfectly matched.
the pressers at the cleaners are afraid to lock the
press down hard, for fear of causing a shine.
post #1995 of 5378
So, that's a recommendation against. And thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions