or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions - Page 131

post #1951 of 5378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

You should worry about all of it. Shoulders look to have crazy extension, chest is too small causing lapels to bow, and it doesn't fit at the waist.

How can you tell when the lapels are blowing?

What does 'crazy extension' in the shoulders mean?

Do you mean his suit is too loose in the waist?

I am not questioning what you have said, I am trying to understand what you have said.

Lapels: In a head-on shot, the lapels should make a "V" with straight sides. In your picture, the sides of the "V" are curving.

Shoulders: The shoulder of the coat appears to extend well beyond where your shoulder ends.

Waist: Looks too tight to me.
post #1952 of 5378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

 

How can you tell when the lapels are blowing?

 

What does 'crazy extension' in the shoulders mean?

 

Do you mean his suit is too loose in the waist?

 

I am not questioning what you have said, I am trying to understand what you have said.


Yes, what is it about the lapels that suggests they are bowing? They certainly don't feel tight at all.

 

I do agree the back looks horrendous, never noticed it until I got the pictures taken. Somewhat less than impressed as my local tailor suggested it should be taken it....

post #1953 of 5378
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post


Lapels: In a head-on shot, the lapels should make a "V" with straight sides. In your picture, the sides of the "V" are curving.
Shoulders: The shoulder of the coat appears to extend well beyond where your shoulder ends.
Waist: Looks too tight to me.


 gah sorry, mistimed that reply.

 

Thanks for your comments, helpful to know where to proceed next...

 

Waist area confuses me a little, there is no pulling at the button (that I can see) but it does look funny at the back. Can this be due to it being to small around the hip area but not at buttoning point?

post #1954 of 5378
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post


Lapels: In a head-on shot, the lapels should make a "V" with straight sides. In your picture, the sides of the "V" are curving.
Shoulders: The shoulder of the coat appears to extend well beyond where your shoulder ends.
Waist: Looks too tight to me.

 

 

It isn't me - it is another user. I am here to learn about how the suit should fit.

 

I can't really see what you are saying with the blowing lapels - they don't seem to be bending at all.

 

The shoulders do look big.

 

Waist could be too tight.

post #1955 of 5378
(edited - is there any way to delete a post?)
Edited by yeeth - 10/20/12 at 9:42am
post #1956 of 5378

Hey gents, need advise on two more suits: The navy one is the Benjamin Classico suit from ehaberdasher.com here on this forum.  This suit is nicer than the Saks 5th I purchased a few weeks ago, which will be returned.  The second suit is from CK.  I picked it up for >$200 for a few summer weddings.  I will likely get this suit altered to test out a tailor before having the navy suit tailored.  As always, thanks in advance!  PS: Sorry about the funky color - can't believe it's almost Nov.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #1957 of 5378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post

yeeth, the wrinkles and pulling on the right side of the jacket are from your low right shoulder. Jacket is pulling a little from the vents still being tacked closed. The shoulders are a little wide.
These pictures show the jacket more clearly but pictures from a distance and full length shots, no jeans and proper shirt to assess the length.


hm i'm assuming there's no cheap way to fix the wrinkles then, and it's more to do with my posture than the jacket itself?

are the shoulders too wide? I have narrow shoulders so I was looking for a little extension, but is this too much?

also i'd love an objective take on the lapels. does it look too dated even with the high gorge and silhouette of the suit? does it fit my smallish frame (i'm 5'7")?

i guess my main concern now is whether the imperfections look fixable/acceptable, because i'm trying to decide if i should keep or return this...

thanks!

front:



side: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

back: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Edited by yeeth - 10/20/12 at 1:25pm
post #1958 of 5378

Hi all,

 

I went to Indochino's traveling tailor when they came to SF and let them take my measurements, so this is the result. I took is to a tailor and he said the jacket is a size to small for me. I know the sleeve length is a little short too. I feel like I need to bring out the shoulders more, and I don't know if its just me, but it looks kind of funny when buttoned.

 

Does anyone have any recommendations on measurements to change for:

 

Jacket Length?

Chest Size?

Stomach Size?

Shoulder Size?

 

I was going to add 0.5" to the sleeve length.

 

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #1959 of 5378
Can anything be done to lapels that won't lay flat? Everything else fits, and while sizing up works, the shoulders are a spot too big and everything else is billowy. What do I do?
post #1960 of 5378
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebrown2 View Post

Just received Indochino suit (blue sharkskin) and shirt and would like some feedback.  I went to one of their traveling tailor events and left the measurements up to them.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The Shirt:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Body fits nicely, but the shoulders seem to lack some mobility.  I don't know if it's the armholes that are too high or the shoulders are too narrow, but when I move it does feel like I'm stretching the shirt a bit.  Also, are the sleeves too wide?  more specially around the elbow and forearm area.

The Suit: I asked for lower button stance, but it appears that request was ignored...probably not a big deal.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)







My concerns on the suit:
-The collar appears too high and doesn't show much shirt collar.  How can this be fixed?
-From the front, is the waist too tight?  It's definitely pretty close to the body and you can see slight wrinkle at the top button
-From the back, does the yolk and waist look too tight?  There are slight wrinkles there.
-Anything else?

Pants: Any comments?  The pictures make it look like the pants ride up my butt, but it really didn't feel that way with them on.

I would also like to know if your observations would require a remake or a simple trip to the tailor.

Overall, this did come out better than I expected given its price point.

Thanks, SF.

Would take the suit to a tailor to discern the causes of the collar issue. Haven't ever seen a jacket collar sit higher than the shirt collar. Maybe it's the way you put the jacket on or maybe it's a more serious matter. Jacket seems short. Sleeves aren't too wide. Trouser looks snug in the thigh area and has the ubiquitous long back rise that causes wrinkles on the back part.
post #1961 of 5378
How risky is it to alter a long to a regular? I've found a vintage jacket for a great price that measures well aside from the length. I searched and found some answers from the crowd regarding this, but wanted to pose the question to the resident tailors and get expert feedback. If a client of yours came in with a long that fit well in the shoulders and chest, would you be willing to shorten the sleeves and skirt hem? What is a reasonable amount to shorten without throwing off the balance of the jacket?
post #1962 of 5378
Pay attention to the distance from the hem to the lowest point of the pocket flap and lowest button. If the pockets and button are set high enough you can shorten the jacket and it will still look proportional and balanced. Some Italian jackets have very low pocket and button positions and then shortening the jacket is noticeable. Looks like the length was chopped off. Good idea to baste the jacket shorter or pin it shorter without opening or cutting anything to get an idea of how shortening effects the look. Watch how the shorter length looks with the trouser too, especially If you wear trousers very low.
post #1963 of 5378
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyC View Post

Can anything be done to lapels that won't lay flat? Everything else fits, and while sizing up works, the shoulders are a spot too big and everything else is billowy. What do I do?

More than one cause to this. better to post a picture.
post #1964 of 5378
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanedamike View Post

Hi all,

I went to Indochino's traveling tailor when they came to SF and let them take my measurements, so this is the result. I took is to a tailor and he said the jacket is a size to small for me. I know the sleeve length is a little short too. I feel like I need to bring out the shoulders more, and I don't know if its just me, but it looks kind of funny when buttoned.

Does anyone have any recommendations on measurements to change for:

Jacket Length?
Chest Size?
Stomach Size?
Shoulder Size?

I was going to add 0.5" to the sleeve length.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Jacket looks skimpy in the chest, waist and back areas. Not sure if it can be altered, The left sleeve is shorter than the right.
post #1965 of 5378
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeth View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post

yeeth, the wrinkles and pulling on the right side of the jacket are from your low right shoulder. Jacket is pulling a little from the vents still being tacked closed. The shoulders are a little wide.
These pictures show the jacket more clearly but pictures from a distance and full length shots, no jeans and proper shirt to assess the length.


hm i'm assuming there's no cheap way to fix the wrinkles then, and it's more to do with my posture than the jacket itself?

are the shoulders too wide? I have narrow shoulders so I was looking for a little extension, but is this too much?

also i'd love an objective take on the lapels. does it look too dated even with the high gorge and silhouette of the suit? does it fit my smallish frame (i'm 5'7")?

i guess my main concern now is whether the imperfections look fixable/acceptable, because i'm trying to decide if i should keep or return this...

thanks!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

You will have similar issues with any jacket since it relates to your posture and low shoulder. Try other makes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions