or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Please Explain Hong Kong
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please Explain Hong Kong - Page 2

post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmann View Post


Chungking Mansions? Holy shit.

It's rather tame. Some say the world's best Indian food is cooked there, btw. Pity HK's walled city isn't around anymore; there was a perilous place.
post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmann View Post


Chungking Mansions? Holy shit.

Oh Chungking Mansions is great, you can get everything you need there, room for the night, food, booze, hookers, hashish, a new Rolex, couple of new suits perhaps.
post #18 of 42
I've stayed on both the Island side and Kowloon side. I have to say I prefer to stay on the Island. Kowloon is perhaps a bit more "authentic" in that you can hit Mong Kok and the street markets and such but the nightlife is not as good and I prefer to be closer to home base after a night of drinking and carousing. You can always head over to Kowloon side during the day for its more daytime-oriented attractions.

I have often stayed in Wan Chai which is nice for its easy access to Causeway Bay and Central, but my last few trips I've been staying at the Butterfly on Wellington in Central which is pretty inexpensive and well-located. It's a 3-minute walk or escalator ride to Lan Kwai Fong and Soho, and it's a short walk to the Star Ferry and Central MTR station. An easy stumble home from the bars at the end of a night of heavy drinking.

Don't underestimate the economy and availability of taxis though. They're cheap and plentiful, so you can head to CWB and get plowed and still get home for a song.
post #19 of 42
Pondering what I'm going to do in Xianggang for two days and nights? Chungking Mansions maybe, what else?
post #20 of 42
Chungking mansions?!? Have you ever been there? uhoh.gif
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

Chungking mansions?!? Have you ever been there? uhoh.gif

Yeh I know Chungking Mansions, been there before. crazy.gif

Making a shopping list .

1) A couple of new HK t-shirts..
517
...the old one is becoming rather worn.

2) ??
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

Pondering what I'm going to do in Xianggang for two days and nights? Chungking Mansions maybe, what else?

Could do so. I'm a big fan of the Mansions, and for a few days nothing beats it. Obviously the Y and the Mariner's Club are alternatives (that book up quickly) though more expensive and the Mariner's is tricky because you have to be a mariner or shipper. One could have some business cards made to show one is employed by a shipping company such as Maersk or one could obtain fake seaman's certificate / merchant mariner's documents on Khao San Rd in Bangkok. Anyway, you could also do something a bit off the beaten path, too. The last few times I passed through I stayed on Lamma Island which is a 30 minute ferry from Central - there's a guesthouse or two. Here's a comprehensive guide to the place. If you're into Central's nightlife the ferry to Lamma may not be for you.
post #23 of 42
how can anyone on here seriously consider staying at Chungking Mansions. the place is a shit hole
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855 View Post

how can anyone on here seriously consider staying at Chungking Mansions. the place is a shit hole

Because staying at the Conrad or the Peninsula would be an unnecessary expense for this visit. Probably be staying in Sincere House, Mong Kok, like I usually do.


Location: Hong Kong BTW cdmoore do you have any spare rooms to let for a couple of nights? smile.gif
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon View Post

Could do so. I'm a big fan of the Mansions, and for a few days nothing beats it. Obviously the Y and the Mariner's Club are alternatives (that book up quickly) though more expensive and the Mariner's is tricky because you have to be a mariner or shipper. One could have some business cards made to show one is employed by a shipping company such as Maersk or one could obtain fake seaman's certificate / merchant mariner's documents on Khao San Rd in Bangkok. Anyway, you could also do something a bit off the beaten path, too. The last few times I passed through I stayed on Lamma Island which is a 30 minute ferry from Central - there's a guesthouse or two. Here's a comprehensive guide to the place. If you're into Central's nightlife the ferry to Lamma may not be for you.

Hey thanks for that curzon, will certainly checkout Lamma, looks interesting. BTW I'm not a fan of Central at all, or much of TST for that matter.
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855 View Post

how can anyone on here seriously consider staying at Chungking Mansions. the place is a shit hole

It's like Kowloon's version of Wan Chai's version of Thailand. If that makes sense.

HK has everything though it's stock is quite low. 2 days will get you 2 days of whatever you want to experience. You probably want some quiet time in a non-polluted area so hiking Ma On Shan, Lantau, or Lamma island would be nice.
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855 View Post

how can anyone on here seriously consider staying at Chungking Mansions. the place is a shit hole

Considered? Actually stayed there a few times in the late 80s and early 90s, i.e., long before it was refurbished into the lovely gem it is today. wink.gif If you take the time to inspect the rooms before paying you can always find a decent, clean and safe guesthouse. Was a cheap place to stay before picking me load of gold and Hasselblads. Excellent canteens there, too. Every time I pass through HK I still stop by for a meal - I'm starting to salivate just thinking about 'em. The major hassle of the place is the elevators' glacial pace.
post #28 of 42
ah... the lovely Chung King Jungle
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

Because staying at the Conrad or the Peninsula would be an unnecessary expense for this visit. Probably be staying in Sincere House, Mong Kok, like I usually do.
Location: Hong Kong BTW cdmoore do you have any spare rooms to let for a couple of nights? smile.gif

Sorry no room at the inn at this time
post #30 of 42
If you realy want a cheap place to stay and you are travelling light and you can find somewhere to stash your bags, late evening you could go to one of the saunas around Jordan/Yau Ma Tei area. Stones throw from CKM, you can get a massage, fuck and then stay in there afterwards in a room for a sleep, all for about HK$ 400. You can have a shower in the morning

I know people that do this in Macau also. Its way cheaper than getting a room, but you can only really get away with if you go there very late/early morning
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Please Explain Hong Kong