or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › So... I made a tie.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So... I made a tie. - Page 5

post #61 of 124
Great thread.
post #62 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievddr10 View Post

how long does it take to make a tie from beginning to end?

I think this took me about two-three hours to make, beginning to end.
post #63 of 124
Well I will say it is well made, but I do not care for that material for a tie.
post #64 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockwellDay View Post

Seriously, great job -- all the way down to the packaging. Very impressive.

+1 icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #65 of 124
After seeing this thread, I decided to give it a go myself. I bought some fabric from downtown LA, and I just took apart a cheap tie to study the construction.

Just about to start construction of the tie...wish me luck!
post #66 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saltricks View Post

After seeing this thread, I decided to give it a go myself. I bought some fabric from downtown LA, and I just took apart a cheap tie to study the construction.

Just about to start construction of the tie...wish me luck!


post your progress please, i and many others love the DIY threads

post #67 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post

Quote:


post your progress please, i and many others love the DIY threads


+ 100000
One of my favourite SF threads of all time is one posted by a guy making his own shoes. Please post it.
post #68 of 124
And here's what I got yesterday... icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

233

220

162

It makes a nice knot quite easily + the quality of handwork and the fabric are really nice.
post #69 of 124
Great work on the ties. I like your tumbler too.
post #70 of 124

^ He has my initials on those boots!! haha

 

tumblr_lrz6ixQGjq1qj8deno1_500.jpg

post #71 of 124
^ Beatiful, unfortunately not for me..

Waiting for mine though... smile.gif
post #72 of 124
ok so I didn't take picture of the DIY process this first time through. I will definitely do it when I try again in a week or two. Here are some pics of the finished product, very low quality stitching, the tip is kinda wonky, lumpy etc IMO, but honestly I think I did pretty good for my first time touching a needle and thread in my life.

197
197
622
197
post #73 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltricks View Post

ok so I didn't take picture of the DIY process this first time through. I will definitely do it when I try again in a week or two. Here are some pics of the finished product, very low quality stitching, the tip is kinda wonky, lumpy etc IMO, but honestly I think I did pretty good for my first time touching a needle and thread in my life.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
197
197
622
197

Man, that looks like an awesome fabric! I think the handiwork looks pretty solid considering it's the first tie.
post #74 of 124
Some problems I ran into (any advice would be helpful for attempt 2):

I used a rotary cutter (a new blade) to cut the fabric but it was unbelievably hard to do so. Do you think this was because of a dull blade or the thickness of the material? I thought it would have cut much easier.

The tip got a bit bulky and blobby...any techniques for keeping the tip nice and pointy?

I don't think I'm sewing the tie up correctly, I can still somewhat see the stitches, and I don't think I'm supposed to.
post #75 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltricks View Post

I used a rotary cutter (a new blade) to cut the fabric but it was unbelievably hard to do so. Do you think this was because of a dull blade or the thickness of the material? I thought it would have cut much easier..

I never have any trouble cutting wool or cotton fabrics with my rotary. Sometimes it misses a few threads, but that's probably because I havn't changed the blade since I bought it.

What surface are you cutting on?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › So... I made a tie.