or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Black-faced watch -> can this go with a shirt and tie?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Black-faced watch -> can this go with a shirt and tie? - Page 2

post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post


plain.gif

why not wear tom ford suits and drive a 1988 crown vic ($250) ?

why go on the internet and make-up stupid rules
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde View Post


why go on the internet and make-up stupid rules

there isnt a rule, but its common sense.
just like you dont buy a car thats worth more than your house, or wear clothes that are worth more than your car.
if you get $50 shirts, 20 times $50 is only $1000.
i think if you can afford $50 dress shirts, you should be able afford a 2nd hand tag heuer.
just like your quality of life cannot be revolving around one particular subject... its only proper to live a balanced life.
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post


Because with the crown vic, you sacrifice function and appearance. With a quartz watch, you sacrifice neither. I hate to break it to the watch snobs, but quartz keeps better time, and is capable of looking just as nice. The only thing they really can't do is a skeleton watch, because the guts aren't quite as pretty.

so? who cares if it keeps better time?
are you going to buy a car just because its the best performing or the fastest?
then why so many more thousands of people buy entry level BMW 3 series or Audi A4s at $35000 instead of mitsubishi evolutions and subaru STi's?
everyone knows that an EVO would smoke an audi a4 2.0T, but why not many people buy those cars?
then you must understand why people all around the world spend so mamy billion dollars every year on wrist watches - its because no one cares if its the most accurate.
just like when people buy a nice car they dont just go for a GTR or an EVO. they buy a ferrari or a lamborghini, or a Porsche - knowing the fact that a GTR costs less and performs better.
and that is the same way watch people look at quartz - it sucks, its not a real watch.
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post


there isnt a rule, but its common sense.
just like you dont buy a car thats worth more than your house, or wear clothes that are worth more than your car.
if you get $50 shirts, 20 times $50 is only $1000.
i think if you can afford $50 dress shirts, you should be able afford a 2nd hand tag heuer.
just like your quality of life cannot be revolving around one particular subject... its only proper to live a balanced life.

what's common about niche products and interests?

the average decent shirt is 30$ and the average decent watch is 150$

anything more than that is for hobbyists

to have a good quality of life... everyone should shop for 2nd hand tag heuers... lol
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde View Post


what's common about niche products and interests?

the average decent shirt is 30$ and the average decent watch is 150$

anything more than that is for hobbyists

to have a good quality of life... everyone should shop for 2nd hand tag heuers... lol

facepalm.gif
post #21 of 30
there are reasons why houses should and do cost more than cars (that should and do cost more than garments), and by how much

not because of some absurdist notion you hold and at an arbitrary ratio with zero grounding in economic/manufacturing/utilitarian realities. uhoh.gif

lets make up more fun common sense rules: your bicycle should cost 10x your dress shoes.

my stowa, limes, meistersinger, and 4 sinns dont make me a balanced person. they make me a hobbyist with germanophilic tastes
post #22 of 30
Thread Starter 
I wear $50-80 shirts, and could afford a 2nd-hand Tag, but I like quartz watches. It's not the SF-approved thing to say, but I like their accuracy. To get a mechanical watch as accurate as a quartz, I'd probably have to spend significantly more.
post #23 of 30
I've got an IWC with a black face and most people think it's blue when I wear it with a shirt. The dial must reflect colour or something...so yes, you can wear it!
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valproate View Post

I wear $50-80 shirts, and could afford a 2nd-hand Tag, but I like quartz watches. It's not the SF-approved thing to say, but I like their accuracy. To get a mechanical watch as accurate as a quartz, I'd probably have to spend significantly more.

like i said, no one cares if quartz is more accurate. who cares if you are late 5 seconds to your dinner date? how do you even know that your dinner date has the correct time? maybe she has an automatic watch and was running -2 seconds a day and its been 3 days since she adjusted it - so you are technically 1 second early.
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post


if your one of your shirts costs more than that watch... you need to up the price range a bit.
imho, your watch should be around 20 times your best shirt's cost

While this is your opinion and you're entitled to it, I respectfully disagree. Utility from goods/services is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone is faced with a unique situation and has different wants and needs. My watch retails for only around 3x my best shirt, but I need to buy my shirts MTM because of freakish proportions, and with shirts at 65 bucks a pop, which I NEED to go to work and pay for tuition (still a student), I can't really afford a 1300 dollar watch, when my 200 dollar seiko (which I bought for like 50 used) gets the job done.

I mean I suppose you could argue that I just buy 30 dollar ill fitting shirts...but with a 16 inch neck and 37 inch sleeves It's harder than you think (plus I dont like looking like I'm wearing a tent!)
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post


imho, your watch should be around 20 times your best shirt's cost

As a watch geek... I seem to have unwittingly followed this rule. I get anxious spending $200 on a shirt... but am happy to spend a few grand on a watch. Lately... I've been really itching for a new pair of Alden's... and the thought of spending 400+ for a pair makes me nervous.

I'm weird...
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post


so? who cares if it keeps better time?
are you going to buy a car just because its the best performing or the fastest?
then why so many more thousands of people buy entry level BMW 3 series or Audi A4s at $35000 instead of mitsubishi evolutions and subaru STi's?
everyone knows that an EVO would smoke an audi a4 2.0T, but why not many people buy those cars?
then you must understand why people all around the world spend so mamy billion dollars every year on wrist watches - its because no one cares if its the most accurate.
just like when people buy a nice car they dont just go for a GTR or an EVO. they buy a ferrari or a lamborghini, or a Porsche - knowing the fact that a GTR costs less and performs better.
and that is the same way watch people look at quartz - it sucks, its not a real watch.

How does any of that word vomit justify spending thousands extra on something for absolutely no quantifiable gain?

When something is cheaper AND performs better, the choice is obvious, no? Even if that performance gain isn't a big deal?

With cars, you can spend more to get more. With watches, you spend more to get less. How on earth does that make sense, unless you're spending more just to be a dick about how much money you have?
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post


How does any of that word vomit justify spending thousands extra on something for absolutely no quantifiable gain?

When something is cheaper AND performs better, the choice is obvious, no? Even if that performance gain isn't a big deal?

With cars, you can spend more to get more. With watches, you spend more to get less. How on earth does that make sense, unless you're spending more just to be a dick about how much money you have?

facepalm.gif
tell that to the millions of people who spend thousands to millions on a watch, or anything.

with cars you can spend more to get more?
so you spend $150k on a Porsche turbo or a $250k lamborghini and get LESS performance than a Nissan GTR that cost about 1/2 as much?
sarcasm.gif
In terms of wardrobes...
The $6000 Tom Ford is how much better than the $1595 RLBL Anthony?
minuscule?
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonF View Post


As a watch geek... I seem to have unwittingly followed this rule. I get anxious spending $200 on a shirt... but am happy to spend a few grand on a watch. Lately... I've been really itching for a new pair of Alden's... and the thought of spending 400+ for a pair makes me nervous.

I'm weird...

even at $200 as your best shirt... 20x is only $4000, barely scratch the surface in terms of quality watches.
I can promise you that there are less people with $200+ shirts than people who own $4000+ watches for sure.
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post


tell that to the millions of people who spend thousands to millions on a watch, or anything.


Big Mama's House took in $174 million at the box office.

Argumentum ad populum is a fallacy for a reason.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Black-faced watch -> can this go with a shirt and tie?