• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This site is full of stupid people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erickus32

Reaction score
I started coming here cause i thought that this site was a site with adults. And i thought that we may have a civil discussion about fashion. There are some people like that here. But they are also a lot and i mean a lot of people here who show no respect or are so full of themselves that they make my computer stink.

I mean i make a posting asking for advice on a web site then i go to check some answers i got and i find people talking to each other about other subjects. Talk about respect. Start you're own topic if you like but dont go on other people's topic to talk to each other's. That is called respect.

Also some people here are what i call flashers. Come on is it really necessary to name every brand you have in you're closet. And i even read that someone has something like ten Brioni suits and a lot more other stuff. Now i am sorry but at about 5 to 6 thousand a piece and that guy say's he as a lot more stuff??? So let's say that this guy as for over 100000$ worth of close? I mean what is he a baseball player? C'mon..... Also only a CEO would have that much money invested in clothing. And i am sorry to say this but in real life CEO's dont come to web site's such as this to bragg about their wardrobe. And if you do that then you are lacking something very important class.
If you have nice suits it is ok to say so. But having class is also not bragging about everything. That shows that either you dont have what you say or have no class for hotdogging about it.

There i said my piece. I am disapointed in this site. Let's say i hope this changes. Thank you.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I wrote 5 Brioni suits, and 10 Richard James suits, but the difference is academic. I'm not sure whether there is a language problem, but I guess that my joke was lost on you. If you're read my many other posts, you'll find that own of my own gripes are similar to some of yours, and that I'm casual, jeans and untucked shirts, west-coast funky type of guy and not the Imelda Marcos of sevenfold ties (although, I'll admit, it would be entertaining to wear a different pair of shoes and accessorize them with a different suit every day.)

As for the alleged "hijacking" of posts, I'm sorry, but I think that people on this forum generally have fun, and aren't so concerned with staying on topic as with sharing our enthusiasm for style and men's fashion.

On an unrelated note, I remember reading somewhere that Bill Gates makes something like $1000 a minute, so he could probably do the "buy Barneys - no, the whole store" thing, although he really doesn't look like the type to do so. Um, and the Sultan of Brunei also comes to mind. He'd probably be more into it.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heh, on that note, I think the Sultan of Brunei holds the record for most Brioni suits purchased in a month. It was around 100 heh. It was him or some other sultan, but it was a sultan
tounge.gif

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think this forum is full of stupid people, I think just the opposite. While some people like to boast about what they own (which is not that big of a deal, it's gonna happen so get over it), most questions are always answered in a mature and informative manner. As one of the original members on this forum I have learned more than I ever could anywhere else from all the posters here. I appreciate everyones responses, even though some may be a little off. The point of a forum of this nature is to exchange opinions and get collected advice from various people from all walks of life; from those fortunate to never buy off the rack to those who are just looking for a bargain for thier first interview suit.

It is just recently that people have brought up so called "problems" they are having with other posters. Instead of getting offended, just take it in stride. For example if someone tells you that a bespoke cashmere suit is rediculous for a job interview, be thankfull that your hearing it here first, not after you wear it.

davei

Reaction score
I usually wouldn't reply to a troll, but you seriously need to let go of your . key. This is a fun, fashion oriented forum (NOT the GQ forum) and threads will get "hijacked". If you're looking for hardcore technical information, pick up a copy of Flusser or talk to your favorite personal shopper.

In other words, chill out, and have fun.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quite fankly I do not think this forum has unintelligent people. Also boasting is not such a bad thing as in example, you starting to put enneuendoes into your posts.

In your statement, it alludes that boasting signifies vacuity but what about people like Oscar Wilde, Slavador Dali, and such?

It seems you need to rethink your statements, and thoughts.

thc

Reaction score
I agree with davei. Erickus, you really need to relax.

Erickus32

Reaction score
I see that by you're answer's i am wrong..Well first off i said that they were a lot of nice people here. But i still say that they are a lot of people here full of themselve's. But off course asking someone who think's he's the next best thing to God if he is concealed is pointless. As for class well responding in a manner of calling one a troll in the beginning is well...Ohhhh It is not even worth a respond. Now for those who say i must chill out i am chilled out you just read the message but seem to lack the intelligence to understand it. And i still say that bragging about the fact that you have that many suits is well a show of you're lacking in class to proove this try walking up to a women or a new work place and start telling them how much Brionni suits you own watch for their reaction. Saying you own a Brionni is fine but having to specify how many of them you own is unnecessary and become's hotdogging. Oh and by the way for those who said i use too much . Well here's for you ........................................
tounge.gif
By the way a human being is an emotional creature and . Expresses in writing an emotion. I made a comment again i did not say that there are only stupid people here. But yes they are a few and to say that they are none here is in my opinion well stupid. Now those of you who will take offense in my response (you know who you are.) there is no need to answer this with insulsts i can already here you type something like : you are the stupid one , you should find somewhere else to go blablabla. So i know you and you're comments so just go away and i will pray for God to give you class and intelligence( boy do i have my work cut out.) As for the people here who i respect please continue giving you're advice for i really like to read you're comments. Thank you.

pstoller

Reaction score
I realize it's unsportsmanlike to take aim at a sitting duck, but sometimes, to some people, even the most obvious things must be said.
i still say that they are a lot of people here full of themselve's. But off course asking someone who think's he's the next best thing to God if he is concealed is pointless.
I'm going to assume by "concealed" (which means "hidden") you actually mean "conceited." May I remind you that your entry into this forum was to complain to all of us how poorly other men dress compared to yourself, and also that you sign every message with the statement, "Erickus one of the last few well dressed man." (sic) To date, your posts are the most conceited I have ever seen on StyleForum.
As for class well responding in a manner of calling one a troll in the beginning is well...Ohhhh It is not even worth a respond.
And yet, respond, you did. Once again, you need to be reminded that you were only called a "troll" after you accused most of the people here"”people whom you do not know nearly well enough to judge"”of being stupid, disrespectful and arrogant. To do such a thing is, well, stupid, disrepectful and arrogant. Furthermore, you decided we were "stupid" and "disrespectful" because, in response to your questions, we allowed our conversation to drift to subjects other than you and your issues. Believe it or not, this is not a sign that our minds are so feeble that we can't remain focused on a simple question, nor that we are so rude that we are deliberately ignoring your vitally important queries. It's just that, unlike some people, we are sufficiently nimble-minded to engage in tangential discourse without losing sight of the original point. Since English is obviously not your first language"”at best, it's a distant second"”let me point out that "troll" does not only mean a dumb and ugly person (which description is derived from a mythical Scandinavian cave-dwelling humanoid creature), but also to fish by trailing one's bait or lure along in the water. Specifically in internet parlance, a "troll" is someone who posts inflammatory messages designed to get other people riled enough to "bite" (respond), as a fish on a big, fat hook. It was this last type of "troll" you were accused of being. The implications about my own intelligence for "biting" are not lost on me, but, after thirteen years online, I'm used to pulling hooks out of my mouth.
you just read the message but seem to lack the intelligence to understand it. And i still say that bragging about the fact that you have that many suits is well a show of you're lacking in class to proove this try walking up to a women or a new work place and start telling them how much Brionni suits you own watch for their reaction. Saying you own a Brionni is fine but having to specify how many of them you own is unnecessary and become's hotdogging.
It is you who lack the intelligence to understand that the gentleman who "bragged" about how many suits he owned was, in fact, joking...even after he told you he was joking. He was exaggerating to make a point about how silly it is to be so obsessively proud of one's own wardrobe. Of course, you didn't mind when it was you, bragging about your Ralph Lauren Purple Label clothes. It was only when you thought you were being one-upped by guys with Brioni (not "Brionni") suits that you got upset.
a human being is an emotional creature and . Expresses in writing an emotion.
It doesn't express an emotion, but rather a high level of emotional intensity. It does this in much the same way as yelling does when one is speaking. Ending every single sentence with an exclamation point is the written equivalent of shouting everything you say in conversation. Which is to say, it's rude, it's counterproductive (people pay less attention to you, not more), and it makes you seem not so much "emotional" as "emotionally unstable." It is, of course, possible that everyone around you is wrong, and you alone are right; that you are simply so much smarter, more cultured, more civil and refined than the rest of us, that you can discern the errors of our ways while we our lowly selves are blind. On the other hand, it might behoove you to weigh the odds, and then consider that perhaps it is we who are onto something about you, and that it is your own behavior that warrants some quiet, constructive reflection. Personally, I think you're going to type a bunch of exclamation points and leave in an offended huff, but I'd rather you simply stopped taking either us or yourself so damned seriously, and hung around for a while. We shall see.

High_Roller

Reaction score
No one's forcing you to stay here.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Let's not forget one thing, this is a web forum and like everything on the web it is virtual. I have never met anybody who posts on this forum and I probably will never meet anybody. For all I know and for all I care, they might not be real people, just virtual characters.

Just as when you enter a chat room, the players (depending on one's preference) "buxom young blonde" or "hot stud" might not be who or what they claim. The players at this forum might not be the person they try to come across. I don't know and I'm not likely ever to find out. It's a bit of fun to post here; reality does not come into it. Some people might have the gear they claim; others might just have the manufacturers catalogues on their bookshelves. Someone else might have the stuff, but has no social live (can't afford to go out, all the money goes on Hermes belts) and just has to stand in front of the bathroom mirror admiring himself. So what?

Most people, unless they work in the industry, have not many people to talk about fashion. Joe Average might have heard of Armani or Versace, but certainly never of Kiton or Brioni. They also might be tired of trying to explain to friends or family, why anyone wants to pay $ 1000 for something when one can get "almost the same thing" for $ 200. Here they have a willing audience. It's all a bit of fun and this forum, definitely, will not solve the problems of the world.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm... I don't really know what to say. I find this rather amusing actually. Since you were actually trying to get advice, Erickus, and not flaming (posting offensively) for the sake of flaming, I suppose I'll let it go this time. However, please refrain in the future from using ungentlemanly titles (e.g., 'stupid') when referring to the other posters on the Styleforum. While it shouldn't really offend anyone with any feeling of self-worth, it does make my Forum look bad, and make you look like a boor. In the future, please discuss any misunderstandings in a polite and reasonable fashion.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While it's certainly true that it is improbable, if not impossible, to verify the identity of the participants on the forum, I for one try to portray myself as accurately as possible, and prefer to believe that others do so as well.

It just makes the posts that much more interesting, in the same way that a sporting event is more interesting if you believe that it is fair rather than fixed.

Besides, despite all the hyperbole that may be written by various participants, I find it difficult to understand why someone would go to the trouble of creating a character with realistic environs (unless you'd lived in LA a while, you would be hard pressed to know that Maxfield Bleu on Robertson is about a 5 minute walk from the Beverly Center, or that the Ritz-Carlton in Pasadena lies at the top of a hill about 6 minutes running from the corner of California Blvd and Lake Avenue,) without wanting to eventually reveal what you've done and how cleverly you've done it. Bengal, I'll bet you, let's say, the cost of a brand new Burberry Prorsum sweater/jacket from the F/W collection (I really want it, but can't justify the cost right now) that I could pick out 2 players who are not bluffing, first attempt.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong; I have never accused anybody of inventing a personality or telling fibs. I just said that I don't know and that I don't care. That's a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads