or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Not all Hong Kong tailors are good.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Not all Hong Kong tailors are good. - Page 2

post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

This place was it?
700

Excellent Indian canteens throughout the place. Nigerians will sell you smack, too. You may find a decent flying carpet. But don't use Indians and Nigerians for your tailored clothing.

Avoid the pitfalls of shopping while white.
post #17 of 37

Did you end up buying a suit from them? there is another wag jag out there to buy their suits.... To be honest this is the only forum that I found negative responses about the suits.

post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bowron View Post

Don’t be a fool like me and buy from Hi Mark Martin Tailors Hong Kong who come to town from time to time.  Both Aroon (Aaren) Mahtani and Sushil (Sam) Kumar are charlatans.

Indian guys who feel like they have to change their name to sound white are generally shadier.
post #19 of 37
I like that about a third of the posters here (including the OP) have one post to their name.
post #20 of 37

I just received the suit I'd ordered for my teenaged son (he went and got measured for it).  It was a Wagjag, $399 for a 100% British Wool suit, 2pc, with shirt as well.  Valued at $1500.  I thought, what a deal!  It arrived, and felt cheap.  Took it to the dry cleaners to get it pressed, they said it is NOT wool.  It also looks a little too small for my son (pants shorter than they should be, and a little tight in the bum).  Am currently trying to get in touch with them and Wagjag.  Shouldn't all suits, even if custom-made, have something on them saying what they are made of?

post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by genie66 View Post

I just received the suit I'd ordered for my teenaged son (he went and got measured for it).  It was a Wagjag, $399 for a 100% British Wool suit, 2pc, with shirt as well.  Valued at $1500.  I thought, what a deal!  It arrived, and felt cheap.  Took it to the dry cleaners to get it pressed, they said it is NOT wool.  It also looks a little too small for my son (pants shorter than they should be, and a little tight in the bum).  Am currently trying to get in touch with them and Wagjag.  Shouldn't all suits, even if custom-made, have something on them saying what they are made of?

Yes they should.
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGrotius View Post

I like that about a third of the posters here (including the OP) have one post to their name.

 

So I have about a year before people will trust anything I have to say ?

post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by genie66 View Post

I just received the suit I'd ordered for my teenaged son (he went and got measured for it).  It was a Wagjag, $399 for a 100% British Wool suit, 2pc, with shirt as well.  Valued at $1500.  I thought, what a deal!  It arrived, and felt cheap.  Took it to the dry cleaners to get it pressed, they said it is NOT wool.  It also looks a little too small for my son (pants shorter than they should be, and a little tight in the bum).  Am currently trying to get in touch with them and Wagjag.  Shouldn't all suits, even if custom-made, have something on them saying what they are made of?

Not surprising - why on earth did you not direct him to one of the few decent houses?
post #24 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by curzon View Post

Excellent Indian canteens throughout the place. Nigerians will sell you smack, too. You may find a decent flying carpet. But don't use Indians and Nigerians for your tailored clothing.

 

There's every reason to warn against particular tailors, but no need for racism from anyone here.

 

I've had things done by Raja in the past, who are an Indian Hong Kong firm who also do the flying visits thing, and never had any problems, in fact they have always been excellent.

post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon8 View Post

Yes they should.

Sometimes they don't, my bespoke suits from NSM and Steed don't have tags that say "100%" wool, or even which company they came from come to think about it i think mina forgot to put my date of commission and even my name on my suit from her lol not that i care though. But i have seen some with a "zegna wool", "loro piano" tag besides the tailor name/customer name tag so i guess its hit or miss. Did they use the same fabric that you picked at the store to make the suit? When i got an asian custom suit they cut out a sample of the fabric i picked and stapled it to the receipt so i could make sure it was the same when i picked up the finish product.
post #26 of 37

I have bought two suits from Himark Martin, hopefully they are alright

post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

Quote:

There's every reason to warn against particular tailors, but no need for racism from anyone here.

Perhaps he should have said, don't go to Indians, Pakistanis and Nigerians touting on Nathan Road for your tailored clothing..OK for "copy watchy" though
Edited by MikeDT - 6/6/12 at 6:46am
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post


Perhaps he should have said, don't go to Indians, Pakistanis and Nigerians touting on Nathan Road for your tailored clothing...or your "copy watchy" for that matter.

 

I don't think I'd buy tailored clothing off anyone touting on any street!

post #29 of 37

I think W.W. Chan is one of the rare gems among the so-called Hong Kong tailors. I like to try a few tailors and read some good reviews of them here on SF. I tried them out last time they were here in NY annd purchased 2 oxford shirts and a herringbone suit. Really nice quality and finish although I had to follow up with the delivery a few times, I was a happy camper when I received the items in good condition.

post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraiche View Post

Indian guys who feel like they have to change their name to sound white are generally shadier.

Well almost all Hong Kong Chinese have an English name, it's just to make things easier to work around.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Not all Hong Kong tailors are good.