or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › "Made in USA" clothing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Made in USA" clothing - Page 5

post #61 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridium7777 View Post

what is still made in the usa, besides some quilted blankets and teddy bears in vermont?
the things I can think of off the top of my head:
AE shoes
Alden Shoes
New Balance (probably not even all of them?)
Anyone in specific seek out things made in America? If so, please share...


Gokey shoes. Subsidiary of Orvis. They also have a "custom option" which is necessary for my
size. A self-measurement kit is available, but I don't trust myself to do it correctly. So I relied
on the Cretins at the San Francisco store to measure me. Didn't work. Shoes mis-sized egregiously.
If you are a normal size, these are distinctly American:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_directory_showcase3.aspx?dir_id=885&group_id=17439&cat_id=5174&subcat_id=6116
post #62 of 73
It's true that for the most part clothing isn't made in the US. But a crapload of other stuff is. We're still the world's largest manufacturing economy by a comfortable margin.
post #63 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLA View Post

It's true that for the most part clothing isn't made in the US. But a crapload of other stuff is.

Isn't it mostly aerospace, defence products and guns, rather than consumer products though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLA View Post

We're still the world's largest manufacturing economy by a comfortable margin.
post #64 of 73
Brooks Brothers has factories in America.

BrooksBrothersElephantTie.jpg
post #65 of 73

That American list is a great help. Thank you.

post #66 of 73
The current Brooks homepage features an easy to use Made in USA product guide that even lists names of factories and how many people work there. Hopefully they keep this information up even after they move on to the next promotion.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/

Belts, Accessories, and Shoes don't mention the names of the companies. Weird because it's a very open secret who makes their American shoes, they even allow people to talk about it in the comments on the page. Why not just come right out about Alden and AE?

Saved for posterity:
41

141

137

236

...whoa... do they really operate a tie factory in Manhattan? seems like a bizarre luxury to continue doing that. Why not move out to New Jersey or something...?
post #67 of 73
post #68 of 73
Thread Starter 
Thanks for keeping the post active. Myself found a pair of Danner boots. Quality of leather and construction is fantastic. Although a real true hiking boot, looks great casual also.
post #69 of 73
You know, I've been going through all my 1980s-1990s Nautica-and-the-like ties to donate. They're all USA made, and I've got to say, the quality is nowhere near as good as some of the Made in China stuff I've gotten in more recent years. I look at my new AE shoes and think "yeah, I can see how we still make good stuff' but these old ties (and some of the other shirts and pants that I bought at the same time) give off a very different vibe, one that is less "why did we give this up" and more "we didn't deserve these jobs."
post #70 of 73
BillyKirk bags made by the Amish

Two USA only to shop:

http://shop.ballandbuck.com/
http://www.hickorees.com/category/made-in-the-usa
post #71 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesdance View Post

The current Brooks homepage features an easy to use Made in USA product guide that even lists names of factories and how many people work there. Hopefully they keep this information up even after they move on to the next promotion.
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/
Belts, Accessories, and Shoes don't mention the names of the companies. Weird because it's a very open secret who makes their American shoes, they even allow people to talk about it in the comments on the page. Why not just come right out about Alden and AE?
Saved for posterity:
41
141
137
236
...whoa... do they really operate a tie factory in Manhattan? seems like a bizarre luxury to continue doing that. Why not move out to New Jersey or something...?


Close to Manhattan = Skillman Avenue, Long Island City, Queens, New York (Over the 59th St. Bridge)
post #72 of 73
I think it might be a bad idea to blanket statement the quality of Made in USA products based off a few Nautica ties from years past. Every brand has their own opportunity to inspect the quality of the product they put out there... I can say hands down that the quality of shirts like Gitman, etc, blows away overseas products at the same price... But again, I would not blanket statement that this means that all USA shirting is superior. It's always going to come down to the brand, and what's actually going on "behind the label".
post #73 of 73
I didn't make any blanket statements and in fact specifically called out a counterexample, so I'm not sure where that's coming from.

Anyhow, my point was that maybe the stuff that got outsourced "deserved" to be outsourced.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › "Made in USA" clothing