or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Salary vs Suit prices
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Salary vs Suit prices - Page 11

post #151 of 263
MC always brings the fail.
post #152 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtie View Post


Good for you! Next you can take reading lessions as that's not what I said.

awesome.

Now, where did I say I don't know how long a good suit lasts or that I don't own one?
post #153 of 263
quad: oh, thats right, I forgot only you can afford good suits right?

yacht: Not only me, but certainly not you; by your own admission.

quad: please share where I said that I can not afford a good suit?

yacht: Good for you! Next you can take reading lessions as that's not what I said.
post #154 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdongbell View Post

Just out of interest, what do you guys reckon?

Salary USD$ xxx - <1k suit
Salary USD$ xxx - 1k - 2k suit
Salary USD$ xxx - 2k suit
Salary USD$ xxx - 2k - 3k suit
Salary USD$ xxx - 3k+ suit


The New York City scale:


Salary USD$ under 800,000- Jos A Banks
Salary USD$ 800,000 - 1,000,000 - Men's warehouse
Salary USD$ 1,000,000- 2,000,000- Syms
Salary USD$ 2,000,000 -10,000,000- Macy's
Salary USD$ 10,000,000+ Orange jumpsuit
post #155 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtie View Post


No value judgment implied. I haven't bought RTW for a very long time so my suits are neither the look of 10 years ago nor are they the look of now. My "look" is to suit my aesthetic and the peculiarities of my body.

As to aesthetic sensabilities changing, sure. I ordered my older suits with significant cutaway on the fronts and now I'm trying square fronts. I still wear the older stuff but those desicions are mine, not some fashion designer's.

Yachtie this thread is like a train wreck ... Just DON'T...get...sucked...in... ffffuuuu.gif
post #156 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post


Yachtie this thread is like a train wreck ... Just DON'T...get...sucked...in... ffffuuuu.gif

he's pretty much to blame for it.
post #157 of 263

unbelragazzo:

Yachtie's post was in the context of why you would prefer a different suit every 5 years v. wearing the same one for 15.

You have raised different reasons to prefer cheaper, shorter duration suits. I put forward style (fashion, fad, evolving aesthetics, call it what you will) as one of the reasons because it drives my suit purchases. Nonetheless, in giving advice, and in the broader context of this thread, I am making the argument for cheaper, shorter lived, suits. Your arguments here -- and I find them convincing -- would support that assertion.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post



It's true that your taste may change over time, but (ideally) this is driven by your changing status, body type, and age, rather than changes in fashion trends. Since what looks good on you is determined by your personality, body type, and complexion, not what Prada is selling right now. The personal changes I mentioned generally move much slower than fashion trends. So to answer your question, personally, I never was into the boxy thick shouldered look...nor am I into the superskinny lapels now. I bought a fair number of suits 10 years ago when I was finishing college. With one exception which was a suit that was more for going out than for business, and doesn't really look right on the 30-year old me like it did on the 20-year old me, I would gladly put on any of these suits tomorrow. So I think yachtie had it right - if you're going for a look that's "edgy" or whatever you want to call a more fashion-type look, then yes, you'll have to change your wardrobe every 5 years to stick with the times. But if you're going for a classic men's look while avoiding the caricature of many fashion suits, your suits will likely not go out of style. Witness any number of fashion icons of yesteryear - when you look at pictures of, say, Cary Grant, do you ever think to yourself, wow, THAT would look terrible today....


 

post #158 of 263

I suppose it comes down to personal choice. I find my older suits -- they were very nice labels, but RTW -- not easy to wear.

 

And here is another argument: I find that the designers often have much better ideas about style, design, etc, than I do. So maybe part of the difference comes down to the fact that you may know what you want in a suit, whereas I would prefer someone put stuff together and I choose what looks good to me after. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtie View Post



No value judgment implied. I haven't bought RTW for a very long time so my suits are neither the look of 10 years ago nor are they the look of now. My "look" is to suit my aesthetic and the peculiarities of my body.

As to aesthetic sensabilities changing, sure. I ordered my older suits with significant cutaway on the fronts and now I'm trying square fronts. I still wear the older stuff but those desicions are mine, not some fashion designer's.


 

post #159 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtie View Post


No value judgment implied. I haven't bought RTW for a very long time so my suits are neither the look of 10 years ago nor are they the look of now. My "look" is to suit my aesthetic and the peculiarities of my body.

As to aesthetic sensabilities changing, sure. I ordered my older suits with significant cutaway on the fronts and now I'm trying square fronts. I still wear the older stuff but those desicions are mine, not some fashion designer's.

Yachtie this thread is like a train wreck ... Just DON'T...get...sucked...in... ffffuuuu.gif

No one is forced to take advice. :laugh.gif
post #160 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectrtown View Post

I suppose it comes down to personal choice. I find my older suits -- they were very nice labels, but RTW -- not easy to wear.

 

And here is another argument: I find that the designers often have much better ideas about style, design, etc, than I do. So maybe part of the difference comes down to the fact that you may know what you want in a suit, whereas I would prefer someone put stuff together and I choose what looks good to me after. 
 



 


It is true that sometimes designers can come up with great ideas you might not have thought of yourself. But at the same time, a lot of designers are just throwing a bunch of crap on the wall and hoping something sticks, or at least stands out from the crowd enough that some people like it and buy it at a ridiculous price, rather than really carefully considering aesthetics and making departures that they think are valuable. And, even then, these departures will look great on some people, and terrible on others (Tom Ford, for example)...so just because you see somebody else that looks awesome in it doesn't mean you should buy it. Not saying you do this, but people in general...hence "fashion victims"...
post #161 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectrtown View Post

I suppose it comes down to personal choice. I find my older suits -- they were very nice labels, but RTW -- not easy to wear.

 

And here is another argument: I find that the designers often have much better ideas about style, design, etc, than I do. So maybe part of the difference comes down to the fact that you may know what you want in a suit, whereas I would prefer someone put stuff together and I choose what looks good to me after. 
 



 


That's your choice too, but unbelragazzo has a good point- the farther you go from the mean (with things like cut, lapel width etc) the shorter the lifespan of "normalcy" of your suit. If you have your own look however, it's never in style and ,conversely, never out of it either.
post #162 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectrtown View Post

I suppose it comes down to personal choice. I find my older suits -- they were very nice labels, but RTW -- not easy to wear.

 

And here is another argument: I find that the designers often have much better ideas about style, design, etc, than I do. So maybe part of the difference comes down to the fact that you may know what you want in a suit, whereas I would prefer someone put stuff together and I choose what looks good to me after. 
 



 


It is true that sometimes designers can come up with great ideas you might not have thought of yourself. But at the same time, a lot of designers are just throwing a bunch of crap on the wall and hoping something sticks, or at least stands out from the crowd enough that some people like it and buy it at a ridiculous price, rather than really carefully considering aesthetics and making departures that they think are valuable. And, even then, these departures will look great on some people, and terrible on others (Tom Ford, for example)...so just because you see somebody else that looks awesome in it doesn't mean you should buy it. Not saying you do this, but people in general...hence "fashion victims"...

+1. Too often seen.
post #163 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenanyu View Post

quad: oh, thats right, I forgot only you can afford good suits right?

yacht: Not only me, but certainly not you; by your own admission.

quad: please share where I said that I can not afford a good suit?

yacht: Good for you! Next you can take reading lessions as that's not what I said.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc?

No I really couldnt care less what Quid can or can't afford. He could be Bill Gates and just as lacking in style.
post #164 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtie View Post


Post hoc ergo propter hoc?

No I really couldnt care less what Quid can or can't afford. He could be Bill Gates and just as lacking in style.

aww, are you still upset that I don't like your ugly double breasted monstrosities?
post #165 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtie View Post


Post hoc ergo propter hoc?

No I really couldnt care less what Quid can or can't afford. He could be Bill Gates and just as lacking in style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post


aww, are you still upset that I don't like your ugly double breasted monstrosities?

lurker[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Salary vs Suit prices