or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Salary vs Suit prices
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Salary vs Suit prices - Page 8

post #106 of 263
Assuming a family of four

60k $350 or less
100k $500 or less
200k $800 or less
500k $1500 or less
1m $3-4k
2+m >$5k
post #107 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post


bullshit to the max.

Obviously a $500 suit will not have quite the same construction or handiwork as a $1,500 suit (in some cases anyway), but there are plenty of $500 suits that are acceptable. Lets also consider that what is acceptable for a person making $50,000 is not the same as whats acceptable to C-suite executives.

For example, the fully canvassed Benjamin suits offered by ehaberdasher. $495. Nice look, decent fabrics, pretty solid construction...easily acceptable, and definitely nicer than what 70% of the men in the working world wear.

I know you're trying to sell your little tailoring service, but don't act like you can't get an acceptable suit for $500.

I don't see why someone who bothers to participate in a clothing forum, would think this about suits. Surely someone who goes on a forum like this would value clothing and prioritize it as a spend more than the "average joe"?

I really cant see a $500 suit being acceptable for all kinds of reasons, 1k on sale yes but anything else forget it. I was wearing $500 (and thats what i paid) suits when I was an art student, I was 19 and it was the 90s. Your talking about little boys suits, or suits for people that don't care about clothes.
Edited by David Reeves - 8/31/11 at 10:22pm
post #108 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post


I don't see why someone who bothers to participate in a clothing forum would think this about suits.

QFT.

You get what you pay for.
post #109 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post


I don't see why someone who bothers to participate in a clothing forum would think this about suits.

not everyone visiting a clothing forum thinks having more handiwork/construction is worth the premium that it comes with. If the suit fits you well and makes you look good; what other criteria are necessary for a suit to be acceptable? does it need to be hand crafted by someone on savile row to be considered acceptable? the reason that most people go bespoke is for the fit - if you have average proportions, and can get an OTR suit that fits you well, what's wrong with that?
post #110 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post

You get the people who care immensely about clothing yet aren't in the financial position to afford what they know to be appropriate. That was me until very recently ago. Why must you prod him so fiercely? His point is valid. Young people or the less-well-to-do among us do not enjoy the privilege of much disposable income, and when someone sees how much they can get for their money versus an expensive suit, sometimes people don't make the same decision you would.
post #111 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclam View Post


not everyone visiting a clothing forum thinks having more handiwork/construction is worth the premium that it comes with. If the suit fits you well and makes you look good; what other criteria are necessary for a suit to be acceptable? does it need to be hand crafted by someone on savile row to be considered acceptable? the reason that most people go bespoke is for the fit - if you have average proportions, and can get an OTR suit that fits you well, what's wrong with that?



I think you need to test drive to tell the difference. The economics of producing a $500 suit just don't make sense and are a big reason for why I think its unacceptable. Someone in that relationship is getting short shrift whether it be buyer or maker. I believe in good product and being paid a fair wage for it, i don't think theres anything wrong with that. Im not going to get suckered into an argument over $500 suits and justifying what I do or what Savile row does because its distasteful and rather beneath me to be fair.
Edited by David Reeves - 8/31/11 at 10:47pm
post #112 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post




I think you need to test drive to tell the difference.

I never said there wasn't a difference, but are you suggesting that someone on SF just out of college needs to buy bespoke in order to have an acceptable suit? What is the average age of your clientele? I would say that your position is unreasonable for anybody with limited financial means, which is going to be a large percentage of this forum.
post #113 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post




I think you need to test drive to tell the difference. The economics of producing a $500 suit just don't make sense and are a big reason for why I think its unacceptable. Someone in that relationship is getting short shrift whether it be buyer or maker. I believe in good product and being paid a fair wage for it, i don't think theres anything wrong with that. Im not going to get suckered into an argument over $500 suits and justifying what I do or what Savile row does because its distasteful and rather beneath me to be fair.

The economics of producing a $500 suit - Manufactured and cut to fit a generic shape/figure. Quality of the construction is not going to be as high, and it will not be tailored for the customer. That doesn't mean that there don't exist people for whom those suits do fit with minimal altering, and for the people in that group, this suit is certainly acceptable.

I'm not saying that bespoke does not have its place, it certainly does, and there is value in it for people who have the means to afford it. That doesn't mean you have to look down at anything less than bespoke as being unacceptable.
post #114 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellodocks View Post

You get the people who care immensely about clothing yet aren't in the financial position to afford what they know to be appropriate. That was me until very recently ago. Why must you prod him so fiercely? His point is valid. Young people or the less-well-to-do among us do not enjoy the privilege of much disposable income, and when someone sees how much they can get for their money versus an expensive suit, sometimes people don't make the same decision you would.

Hey, hey don't get me wrong. I understand all that. I don't ever wear it on my sleeve but I was brought up on a council estate (you'd call it the projects). when I was at school the best job you could get for boys was driving a bread van and the girls expected to be knocked up and get a free flat. When I was 19 I was in college and I worked at a Savile row tailors during the day (the nerve) and at night I worked as a bar back. Thing is though you get older wiser and your salary increases so you can buy things that are more "appropriate", you have to aspire to better things and sample all things that are good in life. If you read my post you will see that I was wearing rather cheap suits at 19. They were horrible too.
post #115 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclam View Post


The economics of producing a $500 suit - Manufactured and cut to fit a generic shape/figure. Quality of the construction is not going to be as high, and it will not be tailored for the customer. That doesn't mean that there don't exist people for whom those suits do fit with minimal altering, and for the people in that group, this suit is certainly acceptable.

I'm not saying that bespoke does not have its place, it certainly does, and there is value in it for people who have the means to afford it. That doesn't mean you have to look down at anything less than bespoke as being unacceptable.

Im not saying that at all. I have no problem with someone buying a zegna on sale OTR. You can only slice things so thin before someone gets exploited and thats something to think about.
post #116 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanzana View Post





That's the way a kid thinks. Now, I'm not saying that you should live like a miser and save every penny, that wouldn't be really living but there must be a balance.Let's say that you have $5k leftover at the end of the year after paying expenses.Spending it all on clothes is ridiculous.

 


Unless you live full time in a nudist colony clothing is an essential expense.
post #117 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclam View Post


I daresay that unless you are in sales, you also need to be careful not to out-dress your role. .

If you're in sales you need to worry about this even more.

If the car salesman telling you the deal is killing him and he won't be able to feed his kids is wearing $10K between suit and shoes you're going to feel differently then if he looks like he shops at Walmart.

Or how about this.

A few months ago a panhandler asked for money. Telling me he hadn't eaten in weeks. The guys was 5'6 and around 300lbs. I'm being kind on both.
post #118 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

I believe there was a similar thread a few months back asking how much should you make to justify an expensive suit, and it was all but conclusive. As some stated, to justify getting a $5,000 suit, some would only require $5,001 of income. Personally, i am in the $50,000 bracket, and i will have no hesitation in spending $5,000 - $6,000 on a suit from Savile Row, just my personal dream is all. I will add that i do currently have no dependents though. I have always said that as long as i have no children, i can pretty much even justify owning a Ferrari one day, last i checked it cost the average middle class family $200,000 to raise a child to the age of adulthood. Maybe that's the real tip here, don't have kids and get yourself 10 bespoke suits instead biggrin.gif

$5K is less then $14 a day. How much do two Starbucks cost these days?

How many people do you know that have at least one every day?

Or how many people still smoke a pack a day.

If a guy wants a SR suit instead of starbucks I don't see the issue.
post #119 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post


$5K is less then $14 a day. How much do two Starbucks cost these days?

How many people do you know that have at least one every day?

Or how many people still smoke a pack a day.

If a guy wants a SR suit instead of starbucks I don't see the issue.
post #120 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post


If you're in sales you need to worry about this even more.

If the car salesman telling you the deal is killing him and he won't be able to feed his kids is wearing $10K between suit and shoes you're going to feel differently then if he looks like he shops at Walmart.

Or how about this.

A few months ago a panhandler asked for money. Telling me he hadn't eaten in weeks. The guys was 5'6 and around 300lbs. I'm being kind on both.

Fair enough, you've got to be aware of your environment on both sides. Goes for everything, I think.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Salary vs Suit prices