or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Salary vs Suit prices
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Salary vs Suit prices

post #1 of 263
Thread Starter 
Just out of interest, what do you guys reckon?

Salary USD$ xxx - <1k suit
Salary USD$ xxx - 1k - 2k suit
Salary USD$ xxx - 2k suit
Salary USD$ xxx - 2k - 3k suit
Salary USD$ xxx - 3k+ suit
post #2 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdongbell View Post

Just out of interest, what do you guys reckon?

Salary USD$ xxx - <1k suit
Salary USD$ xxx - 1k - 2k suit
Salary USD$ xxx - 2k suit
Salary USD$ xxx - 2k - 3k suit
Salary USD$ xxx - 3k+ suit

Sure, I'll play: (I'm talking about how much you actually spend, not MSRP)

<1k suit $0 to $25,000
1k - 2k suit $25,001 to $50,000
2k suit $50,001 to $100,000
2k - 3k suit $100,001 to $150,000
3k+ suit[/quote] $150,001 to $200,000 and up
post #3 of 263
You should write down how insecure you are then add that number to how much your peers spend. That's how much you should spend.
post #4 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlongano View Post


Sure, I'll play: (I'm talking about how much you actually spend, not MSRP)

<1k suit $0 to $25,000
1k - 2k suit $25,001 to $50,000
2k suit $50,001 to $100,000
2k - 3k suit $100,001 to $150,000
3k+ suit
$150,001 to $200,000 and up

[/quote]

Too much suit for too little salary, IMO. I wouldn't buy $3K suits if I made $150K a year, I'd be buying <$1000 suits still. I don't know if your rent should even be $3K (a month) if you make $150K.
post #5 of 263
From my perspective which is not from a big city so less people are concerned about clothes.

Salary USD$ $75,000 to $100,000 - 1k - 2k suit
Salary USD$ $100,000 to $200,000 - 2k suit
Salary USD$ $200,000 to $500,000 - 2k - 3k suit
Salary USD$ $500,000 plus - 3k+ suit
post #6 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianVarick View Post

From my perspective which is not from a big city so less people are concerned about clothes.

Salary USD$ $75,000 to $100,000 - 1k - 2k suit
Salary USD$ $100,000 to $200,000 - 2k suit
Salary USD$ $200,000 to $500,000 - 2k - 3k suit
Salary USD$ $500,000 plus - 3k+ suit

That's probably more representative, although my MD who is on more than $1m wears M&S suits costing about $500. I'd say your interest in MC would be as much of a factor on how much you spend when you get past about $100k than your salary.
post #7 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianVarick View Post

From my perspective which is not from a big city so less people are concerned about clothes.

Salary USD$ $75,000 to $100,000 - 1k - 2k suit
Salary USD$ $100,000 to $200,000 - 2k suit
Salary USD$ $200,000 to $500,000 - 2k - 3k suit
Salary USD$ $500,000 plus - 3k+ suit

+1 from me
post #8 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

$150,001 to $200,000 and up



Too much suit for too little salary, IMO. I wouldn't buy $3K suits if I made $150K a year, I'd be buying <$1000 suits still. I don't know if your rent should even be $3K (a month) if you make $150K.

I guess your age comes into play here also...

...if you are 55 years old and making $150k per year you can probably afford more for a suit compared with a person who is 35 years old...the younger person probably has other priorities including wife, house payments, car payments, children, furniture, family vacations, household purchases, etc.
post #9 of 263
FWIW my father is in your highest income category, 59 years old, a year and a half from retirement and stands to get two pensions of his own plus a separate one for my mother, has no mortgage payments or substantial expenses, but I'd be lucky to get him to buy a $300 suit from a BB outlet. He also has worries about whether his pension and retirement funds will take him into old age safely.
post #10 of 263
Credt cards were invented so the insecure can look rich too and try to fit in.
post #11 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

FWIW my father is in your highest income category, 59 years old, a year and a half from retirement and stands to get two pensions of his own plus a separate one for my mother, has no mortgage payments or substantial expenses, but I'd be lucky to get him to buy a $300 suit from a BB outlet. He also has worries about whether his pension and retirement funds will take him into old age safely.

I don't doubt your response but I thought the OP was trying to get a feel for what people of various salary levels could afford, as opposed to what they actually spent.

Most men today spend very little on suits as they are no longer required to wear them, and don't care to get dressed up anymore.

Perhaps the OP can chime in here and clarify the original intent of the thread?
post #12 of 263
...
Edited by robinsongreen68 - 8/29/11 at 10:23am
post #13 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlongano View Post


I don't doubt your response but I thought the OP was trying to get a feel for what people of various salary levels could afford, as opposed to what they actually spent.

Most men today spend very little on suits as they are no longer required to wear them, and don't care to get dressed up anymore.

Perhaps the OP can chime in here and clarify the original intent of the thread?

You think people earning $25k per year can afford $1k to $2k suits.

Thats a full month's income.

I say:

Under 25K> $300 suits
$25k-$50k> $500 suits
$50k-$100k> $800-$1000 suits
$100k-$150k> $1k to $2k
$150k+ $2k+

This assumes things like living expenses are commensurate with income. Obviously someone who scrimps on other stuff to buy a nicer suit could afford more.
post #14 of 263
This is GREAT news - wait until my better half finds out I'm spending way to little for my suits based on my income bracket!!!!!!!

It's off to Naples for me - as apparently I can have a brand new fully bespoke wardrobe!!!!!!!!

lol8[1].gif
post #15 of 263
Income is not the only factor in purchasing high end suits. What are your other expenses? i.e. higher morgage payments on a more expensive house, a better car (or a fleet of cars), emphasis on savings etc ... it is all relative. Kids can quickly turn a high salary into a comfortable living rather than one of lascivious impulsiveness. If you have priorities that are directed at clothing, then even a $100K salary will afford the utmost luxury if one sacrifices a nice car for a beat up old one, or a nice house for a $900pm appartment.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Salary vs Suit prices