or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Post SF Tumblr's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Post SF Tumblr's - Page 14

post #196 of 247
#menswear tumblr has turned into a social network more than an "inspiration board". Tumblr can 1) appoint totally new editors, mostly not related to the current menswear clique or 2)be cool with it because it generates hits. That's a point well made by Jason. Maybe fewer words next time, though.
post #197 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

I'm just waiting for #bespoke. Just wait to see what Suit Supply will do with that...

laugh.gif
post #198 of 247
I have no idea why several Tumblr #menswear editors are still editors. It would seem to be a simple matter to just give editors a 6 month term and then rotate in some new and fresh perspectives.
post #199 of 247
BB Black Fleece was supposed to regularly change designers, too. I guess people get lazy when things work just well enough.
post #200 of 247
Realistically the #menswear tag was started (and moderated) by dudes who have moved from being passionate bloggers into guys trying to make a living off of blogging. Not that that's necessarily bad. Power to them. But, this means that it's more-or-less a big circle jerk of cross-promotion. When they're all grinding to make a name, no one wants to be the douche that doesn't scratch his buddy's back. And all of them want to be famous (if for no other reason than to fuel their ironic memes of "blog life").

So, once these dudes actually get a gig (say, at 4 Pins) they immediately begin trying to catch a wave of hype. Realistically tumblr is only one or two steps away from being just as product and reputation driven as GQ or Esquire. It's just kind of weird (and unprecedented) that you get to see the evolution unfold naturally.
post #201 of 247
Gus, thanks for pasting the text from the post here (and hookem12387, sorry for the overwrought and overly-long presentation...I have a tendency to overwrite, especially when I'm not editing, like right now...biggrin.gif). I think hookem and bourbonbasted are absolutely on point here, and have distilled the essence of my post in far fewer words.

I wasn't necessarily trying to cast stones in my letter, just point out that whatever utility #menswear used to have (and it did have some, to me at least) as a place of inspiration has been eclipsed by the fact that it really is, as bourbonbasted says, "more-or-less a big circle jerk of cross-promotion." But, to be fair, tumblr doesn't really pretend to be anything other than a social networking site, and one that (if it isn't already) wants to successfully monetize. It just happens to be really easy to use and great for hosting a blog on--I know if it weren't for the ease of tumblr's use, I wouldn't likely have a blog at all.

I try not to look for more from tumblr than it proclaims to offer, but I do think there's value to be gained from highlighting the fact that the #menswear tag is decreasingly filling the space it used to fill for many of its faithful followers, and I can't but think that tumblr ought to be interested in knowing that the tag now, in the eyes of many, serves little purpose other than to generate hype for a select number of bloggers/designers/photographers and their friends, and that this is a turn off to a lot of people. Really, 'reforming' #menswear isn't really the issue either, since it is what it is, and that is determined by tumblr, and they are clearly in the "cool with it because it generates hits" mode right now. But, I know there's a ton of tumblrs out there doing awesome stuff, and it's just going to be harder to find and follow them now, but not impossible.
post #202 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

So, once these dudes actually get a gig (say, at 4 Pins) they immediately begin trying to catch a wave of hype. Realistically tumblr is only one or two steps away from being just as product and reputation driven as GQ or Esquire. It's just kind of weird (and unprecedented) that you get to see the evolution unfold naturally.

In its defense, Tumblr isn't GQ or Esquire because anyone can join and publish whatever they want. There is some excellent, unique content out there (written and photos).
post #203 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post

In its defense, Tumblr isn't GQ or Esquire because anyone can join and publish whatever they want. There is some excellent, unique content out there (written and photos).

Very true. I should have been more clear. I meant the #menswear tag (and it's moderators) are headed in that direction. Certainly not the platform as a whole. And obviously the interface/collaboration opportunities make it completely different from print. But still, I get the definite feeling that the majority of what receives the #menswear tag comes from designers or personalities that have a direct or indirect influence over those that maintain the tag.
post #204 of 247
I wish Vox was here for this discussion....smile.gif
post #205 of 247
Jason, just giving you crap about the length (assumed you posted here). Well written, and you're right.

I want the editors to change just, mostly because the tag is the easiest way to find new, good blogs.
post #206 of 247
I was just given some interesting insight from a current #menswear editor, and I am increasingly under the impression that tumblr must just have bigger things to focus its attention on than the assiduous maintenance of its #menswear board. Apparently this editor was supposed to have been rotated out in the summer, but hasn't heard anything from tumblr regarding their tenure coming to a close. And what leads me even closer to my conclusion about tumblr having more f@$&s to give elsewhere than wasting one on #menswear is that the rules of being a #menswear editor explicitly state that one should not use the position of editor to promote their friends' posts...
Edited by jchosko - 2/11/13 at 3:37pm
post #207 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchosko View Post

I was just given some interesting insight from a current #menswear editor, and I am increasingly under the impression that tumblr must just have bigger things to focus its attention on than the assiduous maintenance of its #menswear board. Apparently this editor was supposed to have been rotated out in the summer, but hasn't heard anything from tumblr regarding their tenure coming to a close. And what leads me even closer to my conclusion about tumblr having more f@$&s to give elsewhere than wasting one on #menswear is that the rules of being a #menswear editor explicitly state that one should not use the position of editor to promote their friends' posts...

who are the "editors?"
post #208 of 247
I contacted Tumblr about 2 months ago (out of general curiosity) to inquire into their advertising costs and policies. They are shooting for the moon, like most tech companies, to find ways to maximize revenue. And, except for the Ralph Laurens, Armanis, Zegnas, D&Gs and a handful of other menswear advertising giants, the vast majority of menswear advertisers are small timers and don't have anywhere near the potential revenue or clout to get a platform like Tumblr's attention. Except in extremely rare cases the big bucks just don't flow from menswear advertising the way they do from travel, liquor and autos.
post #209 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

who are the "editors?"

+1
post #210 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

who are the "editors?"

Go to Tumblr, type in "menswear" in the "search tags" box and then a list of menswear editors will appear. You will need to click on "see more editors to see the entire list.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Post SF Tumblr's