or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › NO PURCHASE CLUB for SEPTEMBER 2011
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NO PURCHASE CLUB for SEPTEMBER 2011 - Page 8

post #106 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post


OK, here's a pic of all my shoes that could be worn to work, and this is including the tan pair, which have been described as "the ugliest shoes in SF history":

Are those tan shoes AE Charlestons? They look a lot like Charlestons, only with some weird sole extension on the front. +1 to getting those filed down, if you can make them look more like Charlestons, they'll be a reasonable casual shoe.

As for your busted-ass shoes, just take MoL's free pass and buy a pair of Park Avenues. You can get the other shoes repaired later, especially if the repairs cost almost as much as a pair of new (seconds) Park Avenues.
post #107 of 269
I know it's heresy on SF, but I'm not a huge fan of the PA last. I think I might try to get by on what I have now for a while and save up for some G&Gs
post #108 of 269
Also tan shoes are Stefano Branchini
post #109 of 269
You could just wear your black shoes.
post #110 of 269
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTO View Post

Are clothing related books banned as well, or can I still buy them?
-TTO

I had not considered this. Well a book is not clothing itself and is not a proper accessory so I have to say this is OK, because by the same reasoning, someone else is going to ask me if buying a movie on DVD is ok because the characters wear clothes and that is also clothing-related. Well..you found an angle, may as well buy your book, Well done TTO. ...do we get to know what book(s) you had in mind?
post #111 of 269
I failed. I must admit a purchase of 1 pair of cords and 1 pair of moleskins for £75. The deal was too much for me...shog[1].gif
post #112 of 269
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellionheart View Post

I failed. I must admit a purchase of 1 pair of cords and 1 pair of moleskins for £75. The deal was too much for me...shog[1].gif

Thank you for your honesty Marcel. ....you are not allowed to wear them for the rest of the month.

I am sensing there are others who have been spending and not confessing...if so, please confess!
post #113 of 269
September 15 - to quote the famous poet Jon Bon Jovi "We're halfway there . . . livin' on a prayer"

I am starting to feel a sense of accomplishment. I threw away the card from Last Call that was 35% off your entire purchase.

MOL- did I read one of your earlier posts correctly - have you not purchased anything yet this year?
post #114 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post


Thank you for your honesty Marcel. ....you are not allowed to wear them for the rest of the month.

I am sensing there are others who have been spending and not confessing...if so, please confess!

Agreed. At least that gratification will be delayed. lol
post #115 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAboutPlaid View Post

I threw away the card from Last Call that was 35% off your entire purchase.

I haven't bought yet but that NM 35% may be my undoing. I picked up a Hickey Freeman suit there a few weeks ago that fit me perfectly! Since I've dropped over 30lbs since spring I definitely could use another. With that coupon I could get one for $389 if they have any 40Rs. That said, I've definitely spent way too much $$ on clothes the past couple months which is why I joined this thread in the first place.
Fred
post #116 of 269
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAboutPlaid View Post

MOL- did I read one of your earlier posts correctly - have you not purchased anything yet this year?

During NPC periods this year I have purchased nothing but if you will recollect, there was no NPC for July & August, so I took that opportunity to buy new socks, undershirts & underwear. My budget was $600 for that list and I stayed within that budget. I have so many clothes that it would be virtually impossible to wear any of it out. I am determined to make it through to the end of the year but I admit I have been tempted dozens of times. Whenever I am tempted for something new I wear crap that day as punishment so I am more appreciative of what I have. wink.gif
post #117 of 269
this is really hard. there are quite a few sales going on right now. i'm struggling. still alive though...
post #118 of 269
It's easy enough for me not to buy anything right now, because I've reached my "almost-perfect" wardrobe. I have a good sense of what my style is and what's enough to last me through the next decade or so. I may purchase a shirt or a tie every now and then, or even a pair of shoes if a great deal comes my way, but overall I have no desire to constantly browse online stores or b&s anymore. Therefore, my participation in this group is unimportant, but I like the sense of common struggle for a greater good. As a cured man, I'd like to offer a piece of advice to those struggling from a shopping addiction. If you ever watched your better half/mom/sister dieting to lose weight, you will relate. We are weak, if you deny yourself something, it will come back and hit you later, and it will be worse. Don't deny fully, merely set limits and attainable goals, meanwhile finding new ways to bring meaning into your life. It may be any other hobby, like wrestling, making car models and dancing, a relationship or a new job. Anything works if you find yourself sufficiently immersed in it. And you will be the most stylish dude among your new friends, too. That must mean something!
post #119 of 269
Thread Starter 
^^ Wise words Ace. +1
post #120 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow View Post

It's easy enough for me not to buy anything right now, because I've reached my "almost-perfect" wardrobe. I have a good sense of what my style is and what's enough to last me through the next decade or so. I may purchase a shirt or a tie every now and then, or even a pair of shoes if a great deal comes my way, but overall I have no desire to constantly browse online stores or b&s anymore. Therefore, my participation in this group is unimportant, but I like the sense of common struggle for a greater good. As a cured man, I'd like to offer a piece of advice to those struggling from a shopping addiction. If you ever watched your better half/mom/sister dieting to lose weight, you will relate. We are weak, if you deny yourself something, it will come back and hit you later, and it will be worse. Don't deny fully, merely set limits and attainable goals, meanwhile finding new ways to bring meaning into your life. It may be any other hobby, like wrestling, making car models and dancing, a relationship or a new job. Anything works if you find yourself sufficiently immersed in it. And you will be the most stylish dude among your new friends, too. That must mean something!

This is definitely something I strive for - and something whose existence I continue to question (one of the first SF threads I started was called "Satisfaction (?)"). I've been interested in clothes for quite a while, but having just finished grad school and gotten a real job and therefore graduated to the world of adult clothes, and having found SF, I've spent a lot of time, energy, and money over the past few months making huge steps in improving and redirecting my wardrobe. Hence the desire to take a month off to take a break, look back at how far I've come, enjoy that, and also take a look at the map again to see where I'm going. Being that I haven't been through fall/winter season since the new job/finding SF, there are still definite holes to fill. I still have only 7 pocket squares, the modest shoe collection shown earlier...I don't even have a fall/winter weight navy blazer. But this month is an opportunity to take stock of what I need so that I just don't go around grabbing everything that I like that's on sale, and also prove to myself that I can stop and slow down a bunch if I need to. Thanks for all of your support and guidance.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › NO PURCHASE CLUB for SEPTEMBER 2011