or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Sitting down in a suit jacket...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sitting down in a suit jacket... - Page 2

post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post

Far too much sensitivity and too many history lessons here.

Traditionally you would be taught to unfasten when seated, fasten when standing etc. Now the former still remains appropriate for comfort, the latter, frankly, is quite outmoded. Bear in mind that at one tome offices were cold unheated places, now quite the reverse and wearing a coat safe when arriving or departing is too much. Board meetings these days lack the formality of days gone by and tend to be easier gatherings where those present are more equals with a job to be done and discussions held as opposed to being old fashioned wooden rubber stamping sessions. Few pompous chairmen might like to dwell on days gone by but that is more to do with their over-blown egos than reality. I would certainly never fuss and prefer those present to be comfortable than look like something from the 1950s for the camera.

It matters little whether it is double or single breasted although the extra bulk of a db is sometimes better managed with the inner button fastened.

Quoted for some damn sanity and common sense.
post #17 of 28
Surely adult males can figure out for themselves whether to button or not to button a suit. Of all the problems in the world, this is the least of them.
post #18 of 28
I will sometimes hang it on the chair behind me to keep it from getting too wrinkled, the general rule of thumb is to never to button the jacket when sitting because it causes tension in the mid section.
post #19 of 28
Always button standing, unbutton while sitting. It just feels natural to me.

When I was traveling, I notice at the air port that probably 90% of the man in sports coats/suits have their jacket open while standing. I guess I'm unique from the rest.
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post

Far too much sensitivity and too many history lessons here.

Traditionally you would be taught to unfasten when seated, fasten when standing etc. Now the former still remains appropriate for comfort, the latter, frankly, is quite outmoded. Bear in mind that at one tome offices were cold unheated places, now quite the reverse and wearing a coat safe when arriving or departing is too much. Board meetings these days lack the formality of days gone by and tend to be easier gatherings where those present are more equals with a job to be done and discussions held as opposed to being old fashioned wooden rubber stamping sessions. Few pompous chairmen might like to dwell on days gone by but that is more to do with their over-blown egos than reality. I would certainly never fuss and prefer those present to be comfortable than look like something from the 1950s for the camera.

It matters little whether it is double or single breasted although the extra bulk of a db is sometimes better managed with the inner button fastened.

Are you saying that you find it normal for businessmen to stand with their suit coats unbuttoned? That seems very unusual to me.

If you are saying they might remove their coats entirely - that I certainly see from time to time at meetings of all types - particularly in hot climates.

But I just can't say I see unbuttoned suit coats when standing very often at all. A couple of weeks ago I walked for 45 minutes in DC in 85 degree heat with a group of 10 business men from NYC and I specifically noticed not even so much as an unbuttoned coat. I remember - because I was waiting for someone more senior to me to loosen up a bit so I could too. I personally would have been glad to remove the coat completely and carry it. But no go. (There was a bit of white hanky forehead mopping going on occasionally though.) lol8[1].gif

I'll admit to travelling in pretty specific circles - but I don't think they are that rarified.
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post


Are you saying that you find it normal for businessmen to stand with their suit coats unbuttoned? That seems very unusual to me.

If I'll admit to travelling in pretty specific circles - but I don't think they are that rarified.

Commonly.
post #22 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post


Are you saying that you find it normal for businessmen to stand with their suit coats unbuttoned? That seems very unusual to me.

If you are saying they might remove their coats entirely - that I certainly see from time to time at meetings of all types - particularly in hot climates.

But I just can't say I see unbuttoned suit coats when standing very often at all. A couple of weeks ago I walked for 45 minutes in DC in 85 degree heat with a group of 10 business men from NYC and I specifically noticed not even so much as an unbuttoned coat. I remember - because I was waiting for someone more senior to me to loosen up a bit so I could too. I personally would have been glad to remove the coat completely and carry it. But no go. (There was a bit of white hanky forehead mopping going on occasionally though.) lol8[1].gif

I'll admit to travelling in pretty specific circles - but I don't think they are that rarified.

+1
post #23 of 28
Thread Starter 
I just wanted to share this since the TV show Mad Men has become such a go to for suits... they rarely button suits when they are walking/up.
post #24 of 28
Fuck Mad Men.
post #25 of 28
Unbuttoned or I take it off prior to sitting down depending upon where I am.
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman89 View Post

I just wanted to share this since the TV show Mad Men has become such a go to for suits... they rarely button suits when they are walking/up.

facepalm.gif
post #27 of 28
I don't work for anyone but myself, so I generally leave my suit unbuttoned at work.
post #28 of 28

Fantastic

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Sitting down in a suit jacket...