or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › 5' 7" what's your jacket length?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

5' 7" what's your jacket length?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
I'm about 5' 7" and I was wondering what jacket length other people my height wear.

I'm still struggling with the proper length but for me it seems to be around 29".

My last tailor shortened a jacket to 28.5" which felt too short, but it's really difficult to get a gauge of your own suit length even with a mirror. Using the height/2-4 I get 29.5"...I have shortish arms and legs.
post #2 of 22
What are you measuring from? My suit length measurements are stated to be around 29-28.5" but really seems to vary from suit to suit. I still don't understand where the point of reference is supposed to be for a jacket length measurement. I just know where the length seems to look the best on me based on where it lines up with my knuckles. I'm 5'7" as well.

Edit: Nevermind, I just googled it. Interesting. I'll measure my jackets tomorrow.
post #3 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylenewbie View Post

I'm about 5' 7" and I was wondering what jacket length other people my height wear.

I'm still struggling with the proper length but for me it seems to be around 29".

My last tailor shortened a jacket to 28.5" which felt too short, but it's really difficult to get a gauge of your own suit length even with a mirror. Using the height/2-4 I get 29.5"...I have shortish arms and legs.

Take pictures with the camera about 20 feet away from you, and wear a pair of trousers that fit well and contrast with the jacket. I've found that gives a much clearer idea of how the length looks on you than just looking in the mirror.

FWIW, I'm a little under 5'7", and 28.75" to 29" seems to be my sweet spot. 28.5" is a tad short; 29.5" a tad long.
post #4 of 22
Does half an inch really make that much of a difference?
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus View Post

Does half an inch really make that much of a difference?

I think if half an inch is in your acceptable range, it won't matter but out of the range, it will. I am 5'8" and 29.5'' to 30'' seems ok. But with 29'' I feel it's short and 30.5" appears to be too long.
post #6 of 22
I'm 5'8" I go for 28.5". But seriously, your height is not the only factor in determining length of your jacket.
post #7 of 22
rough guide to the second knuckle, agree that mirror view is subjective - if u take a photo you'll see yourself as others do. total height is misleading - we all have diff leg to body proportions.
post #8 of 22
Not that simple as you need to factor in:
- your proportion - leg, body & arm ratio etc.
- your build
- type of suit
- cloth

FWIW - I'm the same height.

Have a click at all my suits for visual cues http://mostexerent.tumblr.com/tagged/WWIW
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by molayo View Post


I think if half an inch is in your acceptable range, it won't matter but out of the range, it will. I am 5'8" and 29.5'' to 30'' seems ok. But with 29'' I feel it's short and 30.5" appears to be too long.

+1, heck .025" out of the range can throw things off.
post #10 of 22
29 is about right. Go with your preference from there but go gradual, 1/4" increments, longer or shorter.

Doesn't camera angle distort the accuracy of the image? I am more comfortable judging by looking in a mirror. Stand at different distances from the mirror and different angles.
post #11 of 22
^^ The thing with mirror is that if you're standing too close, say if your room is small, the jacket would seem longer than it really is since you're looking down.
post #12 of 22
28.5''-29'' works for me.
post #13 of 22

Depends on proportion, doesn't it. I find 27" is best.

post #14 of 22

My jackets are all about 29" (from collar seam to hem down the back). But I have a long torso and arms relative to my legs. The mirror, non-distorted photos and someone else with a good eye can all help you judge. Agree it helps to look from a bit of distance.

 

It's also not just about the exact back measurement. Some jackets are balanced differently (e.g., longer in front than in back) and that can affect the overall look. So, it might look short from behind but fine from another angle.

post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Guido View Post

Not that simple as you need to factor in:
- your proportion - leg, body & arm ratio etc.
- your build
- type of suit
- cloth

This.

I've found I need a little extra length to get around my, erm, significant derriere.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › 5' 7" what's your jacket length?