• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What 5 items must every stylish man have?

RainCityClotheshound

Reaction score
Gentlemen, Inspired by an article I read not long ago,I thought it would be fun to discuss what 5 items you believe every stylish man should have? .
biggrin.gif
Thank you in advance for your responses.

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
In no particular order.....

1. A nice watch (doesn't have to be name brand, just something sylish and classy)
2. A pair of stylish, black, polished shoes with nice socks.
3. An alligator/croc belt with a shiny silver buckle.
4. A "skin" wallet or, better yet, a silver money clip.
5. A tailored (no, not to slender) trench coat.

As you can tell, I believe that it is the details that make the man.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Wow, only 5. GQ lawyer got most of what I'd consider the top 5.

I'd add:

1. stylish. comfy pair of jeans
2. black blazer to dress up or down
3. black solid knit (polo or mock) to do same
4. Ivory/off white wide ribbed turtle neck sweater
5. khaki to mid brown slacks- all weather, dress up or down

FRATERNITYSTUD

Reaction score
Ok, here are my five items every stylish man should have:

1) Nice watch (completely agree with you GQ Lawyer)
2) Lacoste polo shirt
3) An tailored black suit that screams style
4) A good hair-dresser
5) Confidence (hopefully these items don't have to be tangible..)

GatorStyle

Reaction score
Here's my five (I wish I had 10, because the weeding-out process was tough), in no particular order:

1.)  Black turtleneck (preferably cashmere, but anything will do if it's well-fitting; maybe the most flattering thing a guy can wear)

2.)  The perfect pair of blue jeans (not too baggy, not too tight; well-worn; can be dressed up or down)

3.)  Like GQ Lawyer said, stylish, well-polished black shoes  (emphasis on the "well-polished"; a nice shine makes cheaper shoes look expensive, while dull and dirty shoes never look good; the simplest way to demonstrate your sense of style, and the easiest way to look unstylish is all in the shine)

4.)  A nicely tailored dark suit (doesn't have to be too expensive, but does have to be versatile- can be worn at work or on the town; navy, black or gray will do; pinstripes or solid; can be worn with button down shirt and tie, button-down shirt open at the neck, turtleneck, etc.)

5.)   A leather jacket/coat  (the style speaks for itself; everyone looks good in it)

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. A well-tailored, dark gray or navy, suit.
2. A quality tie--the kind that holds a knot and makes that perfect dimple with braces and/or pocket square to enhance
3. Good hosiery--over the calf. The kind that stay up.
4. Polished black shoes
5. A good fitting, well cut shirt with french cuffs and links

Abe2

Reaction score
I just can't limit this to 5. In order of importance, from least to most:

10) A hot looking watch
9) A well-fitted dark blue shirt
8) At least one beautiful tie
7) A cashmere topcoat
6) A cashmere turtleneck
5) A pair of great-fitting jeans
4) Quality black wool trousers
3) A well-made single-breasted navy suit
2) polished black shoes

And (almost) everybody forgot:
1) The black leather jacket. Come on, people, you can have NONE of the above, but if you're wearing a kickass black leather jacket, NOBODY's gonna question your style.

RainCityClotheshound

Reaction score
Excellent suggestions gentlemen. I know that choosing only 5 is difficult; I wanted to challenge the forum to really pick only the most quintessential items. We're beginning to see a consensus: -In no particular order: a) A nice watch b) Well polished dress shoes,with quality socks c) Dark colored knit sweater(polo or mock) d) Dark colored suit-well tailored           and e)Black leather jacket -Special mention to: Confidence,Good Hair Stylist-important intangiables-and great-fitting denim jeans. ___ Now, are there specific brands of these items you'd like to recommend?  Â
biggrin.gif

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You all still forgot the most important thing. Every stylish man MUST have a stylish women to compliment himself. Why else are we trying to look so cool; for other guys, i doubt it.

Plus:
-A slim fitting black button up shirt (Even ugly guys look good in one of these)
-Vintage jeans
-Distinctive cologne
-Bad ass sunglasses

These are just my five with the lady being the most important. I'm sure you'll all agree.

Timothy

Reaction score
I'll throw in my two pieces of copper on this, mainly with what I think is missing from the posts.

First off I think everyone forgot what should be the numero uno on the list, and that is a well rounded, personal fashion sense. I think from there everything else follows suite for you may have all the items listed and more, but if you don't know what works for you then you're still not "fashionable", just trendy. I agree with GQ Lawyer that it's those little details that go a long way. As to the other items I see missing, in no particular order, one is your favorite vintage T-shirt. If you know how to work it then it screams style, but in that relaxed, "I don't give a damn" sort of way, think James Dean or all the other standards people mention for their cool. Another is good underwear, keeps you comfy, everything in its proper place, and women can tell a lot about a man by such details as this too. Another item I think a man needs is a day-planner, or pda. In some circles it may fashionable to be late, but many people see it as just sloppy and irresponsible on most other occasions, besides why even be dressed to the T if you don't even know what event you're dressing for. What I also feel goes along with said day-planner that exudes refinement, but may not be so necessary to be on the list, is a good pen. I think also what needs to get a mention is also a good tailor/cleaner for you may leave a store with style, but she/he keeps your clothes in good shape so you can be stylish every day.

Timothy

Reaction score
I'll throw in my two pieces of copper on this, mainly with what I think is missing from the posts.

First off I think everyone forgot what should be the numero uno on the list, and that is a well rounded, personal fashion sense. I think from there everything else follows suite for you may have all the items listed and more, but if you don't know what works for you then you're still not "fashionable", just trendy. I agree with GQ Lawyer that it's those little details that go a long way. As to the other items I see missing, in no particular order, one is your favorite vintage T-shirt. If you know how to work it then it screams style, but in that relaxed, "I don't give a damn" sort of way, think James Dean or all the other standards people mention for their cool. Another is good underwear, keeps you comfy, everything in its proper place, and women can tell a lot about a man by such details as this too. Another item I think a man needs is a day-planner, or pda. In some circles it may fashionable to be late, but many people see it as just sloppy and irresponsible on most other occasions, besides why even be dressed to the T if you don't even know what event you're dressing for. What I also feel goes along with said day-planner that exudes refinement, but may not be so necessary to be on the list, is a good pen. I think also what needs to get a mention is also a good tailor/cleaner for you may leave a store with style, but she/he keeps your clothes in good shape so you can be stylish every day.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course you need a beautiful, classy woman to stand by you, confidence and personal style, etc..., but in the spirit of things material, I think that you need:

1) Your favorite jeans
2) A well-tailored, beautifully fitted black suit
3) The simplest white shirt (goes with the suit or the jeans)
4) Well-kept black shoes
5) A classic watch.

If there were an earthquake in LA, I would hope to have at least those things - plus water and a flashlight.

If I were allowed to expand the list, I would add:

6) As many pairs of cool sneakers as you can possible afford
7) Vintage T's - and I mean ones that you've kept since your college days of rescued from thrift shops, not $500 replicas
8) A grey or navy suit
9) Some great shirts and ties that dimple
10) A vintage leather jacket - something that you can wear anywhere and not be afraid of spilling anything on.
11) A leather messenger or saddlebag.

Europe's Finest

Reaction score
1. Black leather shoes

2. Nice Belts (in the same color as the shoes)

3. A pair of Chinos and Jeans

4. Polo Shirt (La Coste)

5. V-Neck Sweater

gregory

Reaction score
In no particular order.....

1.  A nice watch (doesn't have to be name brand, just something sylish and classy)
2. A pair of stylish, black, polished shoes with nice socks.
3. An alligator/croc belt with a shiny silver buckle.
4. A "skin" wallet or, better yet, a silver money clip.
5. A tailored (no, not to slender) trench coat.

As you can tell, I believe that it is the details that make the man.
Just to revive an interesting topic. I really like your list, GQ. What do you mean by 'skin' wallet though (crocodile skin etc?)

scot

Reaction score
1. Brenda
2. Stephanie
3: Jennifer
4: Suki
5: Heather

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads