• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

French Cuff Consignment

Reaction score
Are there any Scotch drinkers out there?

And by Scotch I am not referring to Johnny Black, Johnny Red, Grants, Teachers, J&B, Cutty Sark, Black & White or Vat 69

What are your favorites?

How do you take yours?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Laphroaig 15-year neat.

Macallan 18-year is also quite good.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Laphroaig 15-year neat.
Laphroaig fan as well. (Also drink it neat, of course.) I tend towards the 10 year old, though, for economic reasons. Has anyone ever tried their Cask Strength stuff?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
I've never met a single malt I didn't like.
Even the McClelland?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Laphroaig fan as well. (Also drink it neat, of course.) I tend towards the 10 year old, though, for economic reasons. Has anyone ever tried their Cask Strength stuff?
I have some at home now; it's good, but I think I prefer the regular 15. The McCallan cask strength, on the other hand, rocks. Right now the Laphroig, McCallan, and Lagavulin are in my regular rotation.
The splash of water with the cask strength, otherwise neat.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
My two favs are Balvenie, the 12 year old double cask and the 21 year old port cask.

12 year old for normal sipping. I put in one ice cube. I know this is not the "proper" way for tasting, but it is how I like it. (As an aside, apparently "neat" is not proper either for tasting. I have been told and read that several drops of distilled water is the taster's way.)

21 for use similar to a port. Either desert time, outside with a cigar, etc.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
For single malts, I like Suntory "Yamazaki" 12 & 18 year, Macallan 12 & 18, Glenlivet 18 & 21. For blended, my favorite is Suntory "Hibiki," which is labeled as 17 year but I'm sure many of the whiskies it contains are much older than that. It would be my drink of choice ahead of all but the finest single malts and cognacs. Unfortunately it is not sold in the U.S. and I've exhausted my supply.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
For single malts, I like Suntory "Yamazaki" 12 & 18 year, Macallan 12 & 18, Glenlivet 18 & 21. For blended, my favorite is Suntory "Hibiki," which is labelled as 17 year but I'm sure many of the whiskies it contains are much older than that. It would be my drink of choice ahead of all but the finest single malts and cognacs. Unfortunately it is not sold in the U.S. and I've exhausted my supply.

Sounds like a trip to Tokyo is in order.

I haven't tried the Hibiki yet, but I've had Yamazaki and also one called The Hakushu. Both are excellent. The Japanese do some things completely whacky, but they got whisky right.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmph, my glass has the last swallow of Macallan 12 in it. I prefer Speysides, but make frequent forays to Islay, the Islands, and the rest of the Highlands as well. My favorite is probably Mortlach 16, but I am pleasured by Dalwhinnie 15, Cragganmore 12 (?), Macallan 12 & 18, Lagavulin 16, Talisker (whatever it is), Caol Ila 12, & Cardhu with alarming regularity.

So far, the only malts that I've met and don't like are Glenfiddich (reminds me entirely too much of hay) and Oban (had this menthol thing going on which may have been an adulterant courtesy the restaurant).

The 'this Christmas season' hitlist is for the Dalwhinne and Craganmore distillery reserves (1990 and 1992 IMMSMC). Perhaps JW Green, Blue, or Swing. I have this need for a bottle of d'Yquem to celebrate my impending graduation so I have to curtail my malt money.

Regards,
Huntsman

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps buoyed by this thread, and some minor cause for celebration, I have delved into my (very) small supply of very-hard-for-me-to-ever-replace Mortlach 16.

Damn. As in damn.

Water of life indeed -- an hour ago I was feeling seriously crappy, and now after a little relax, some good tunes, a little bloody good scotch, I feel so much better. Not lit, I haven't had 3oz, it's just that I swear the stuff sings to your soul sometimes.

Regards,
Huntsman

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Sounds like a trip to Tokyo is in order.

I haven't tried the Hibiki yet, but I've had Yamazaki and also one called The Hakushu. Both are excellent. The Japanese do some things completely whacky, but they got whisky right.

I think "Hakushu" is an 18 year single malt sold only in Japan. In the U.S. both the 12 and 18 (the only ones available here) are labeled "Yamazaki." I'm not sure if the 18 sold in the U.S. is identical to the "Hakushu" sold in Japan.

DEFINITELY try the Hibiki. 21 and 30 (!) year old versions are available as well. Maybe someday...

Re: trip to Tokyo, I'd settle for a layover at any Japanese airport with a decent duty-free shop.
smile.gif
Probably not in my immediate future, alas.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How important is age? Are there are any 10 years worth drinking? I've been drinking some Speyburn 10 year but it is much less mature than the JW Black that has been my benchmark. I am only beginning my foray into the world of scotch. It's such an expensive hobby that I'm afraid to but dip my toes in the waters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads