or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Any One for a Scotch?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any One for a Scotch? - Page 5

post #61 of 3301
Wow, I just noticed you are located in Tokyo! My timeline is not defined but my friend will be leaving for Japan tomorrow and will be there 9 days. I just wanted to make sure I took advantage of this opportunity. If I wasn't clear in my request, I was trying to get an idea of what I should ask my friend to purchase on my behalf. Looking for stuff I cannot get here of course. Would Hakushu be readily available everywhere in Japan?
post #62 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy
Wow, I just noticed you are located in Tokyo! My timeline is not defined but my friend will be leaving for Japan tomorrow and will be there 9 days. I just wanted to make sure I took advantage of this opportunity. If I wasn't clear in my request, I was trying to get an idea of what I should ask my friend to purchase on my behalf. Looking for stuff I cannot get here of course.

Would Hakushu be readily available everywhere in Japan?

Hakushu is widely available, though you might not find it at the local supermarket. It depends how easily your friend can get around in Japan, since it might take a few stops to locate. Hakushu will run you about 8000 yen or $65-$70 equivalent.

Where will your friend be traveling in Japan?
post #63 of 3301
I am assuming Tokyo and neighboring cities that can be accessed via train. $65-70 is fine price. I'll try to order the Suntory "Yamazaki" 12 or 18 here so I can compare it. For future reference, would you be able to help out getting a bottle if necessary?
post #64 of 3301
sygyzy - PM sent.

8000 yen is a very good price for 18 year old Suntory. When the 18 year Yamazaki was first introduced to the U.S., I managed to score a bottle for about $90 but prices seems to have stabilized in the $100-110 range. For comparison the 12 year old is about $35.

edit: sorry if I'm being unclear. Calling NR to the rescue. Is the 8000 yen price for the 12 year old Hakushu?
Let me know and I'll edit accordingly.
post #65 of 3301
PB - I don't believe there is a 18 year old Hakushu. I believe they just have 12. 18 year old Yamazaki's go for under $100 online.
post #66 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy
PB - I don't believe there is a 18 year old Hakushu. I believe they just have 12.

Check this out: http://www.suntory.com/about/news/2006/9500.html

But according to Suntory it's 20,000 yen (!). That's pricier than I would have expected. The 21 year old Hibiki for the same price might be a better value.
post #67 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
Check this out: http://www.suntory.com/about/news/2006/9500.html

But according to Suntory it's 20,000 yen (!). That's pricier than I would have expected. The 21 year old Hibiki for the same price might be a better value.

Agreed. If I was paying 20,000 yen (About $200 USD, right?) I'd get the 21 year blended Hibiki.
post #68 of 3301
Assuming that price is accurate, the 21 year old should be about 11 - 12,000 yen at a duty free shop. If purchased at a department store at full price it would come in ridiculously nice packaging though!
post #69 of 3301
Never bought anything from a Duty Free shop. Why wouldn't it also come in similar packaging?
post #70 of 3301
In a DFS the packaging will be less fancy. (The bottle will of course be the same.) Ever bought anything in a Japanese department store? It's unreal.

Japanese are really into packaging. Even if you just buy some little trinket in a small shop, they go all out.
post #71 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy
I am assuming Tokyo and neighboring cities that can be accessed via train. $65-70 is fine price.

I'll try to order the Suntory "Yamazaki" 12 or 18 here so I can compare it. For future reference, would you be able to help out getting a bottle if necessary?

Yes, definitely. I live within walking distance of Tokyo Station on the Yaesu side and know of an excellent liquor store called Hasegawa in the underground shopping mall there. Hasegawa lets you taste most of the bottles they have for about 100 yen. They also have some of the best prices I've found in Tokyo.

If your friend is going to be passing through Tokyo Station and has time to stop there briefly, I'll be glad to meet and act as a guide/interpreter for the Hakushu purchase. If that sounds doable, we can trade contact information by PM.
post #72 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
In a DFS the packaging will be less fancy. (The bottle will of course be the same.) Ever bought anything in a Japanese department store? It's unreal.

Japanese are really into packaging. Even if you just buy some little trinket in a small shop, they go all out.

With every purchase, they ask you if it's for yourself or a gift. If it's a gift, they'll wrap it like it's the crown jewels. The Japanese make some of the most exquisite paper in the world and can fold it like nobody's business.
post #73 of 3301
The contrast between that and the gift-wrapping in an American department store could not be more acute.
post #74 of 3301
Well, MacSanta was very good to me this year! Not only did he get me a bottle of 21 y/o portwood ages Balvenie, he got me a 30 y/o fine oak Macallen. I have already cracked the first one, which is a very nice smooth drink, but will wait for NY Eve to open the Macallen.
post #75 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
Check this out: http://www.suntory.com/about/news/2006/9500.html

But according to Suntory it's 20,000 yen (!). That's pricier than I would have expected. The 21 year old Hibiki for the same price might be a better value.


I was at a business function at Suntory a few years ago and the spirits were flowing freely. One of the members of the group (an exec at Suntory) noticed a display cabinet that held the really good stuff, including the 30 year Hibiki, and demanded that someone find the key. A key was located and the Hibiki was ours! Pure heaven!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Any One for a Scotch?