or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Any One for a Scotch?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any One for a Scotch? - Page 262

post #3916 of 4254
While I have not tried it myself, I would see no reason from the notes to not like the Oban Distillers Edition. It looks to be a fruity and smoky one with some peat. All of the other DE bottles I have tried have turned out to be excellent and affordable. Most online reviews have been good as well.
post #3917 of 4254
Oban DE is my weekly. I love it. It has a great sea air saltiness, which is balanced by the slightly sweet, yet savory character that the Madeira casks give it. Wonderful whisky. I have long been a fan of the Diageo DEs, but the Crag, Oban, and Lagavulin are the best.

- Huntsman
post #3918 of 4254
My favorite has been the Talisker DE.
post #3919 of 4254
I'm another big fan of Oban DE, it's a major step up from baseline Oban.

Huntman nailed the profile.
post #3920 of 4254
@jcman311 and @huntsman thank you for the responses!
I should have stated that nothing really led me to believe that I wouldn't like it, just looking for feedback. So with that said I will look to open it as one of my currently open bottles run out.
Cheers!

Edit after the fact: additional thanks to @gibonius
post #3921 of 4254
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman311 View Post

My favorite has been the Talisker DE.

How would you say the DE compares against Storm? Provided you have tried both, I'm going off the assumption you have.
Regards,
Ben
post #3922 of 4254
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLeaman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman311 View Post

My favorite has been the Talisker DE.

How would you say the DE compares against Storm? Provided you have tried both, I'm going off the assumption you have.
Regards,
Ben

I have not tried Storm. Although I probably should because I rather like the 10yo and the tasting notes seem similar between the two.
post #3923 of 4254
I need more Talisker in my life. The DE is fantastic, but a friend says that he's tried both the 10 year and the DE side by side and wasn't able to tell the difference. The Lagavulin DE is good, too. Almost finished that bottle.
post #3924 of 4254
i popped open the michters american whiskey and am pretty happy, gonna be a go to bottle for me now.
post #3925 of 4254
I have been really getting into the Glendronach distillery releases for at least the past 6 months. Amazing stuff, and exactly right up my alley in terms of what I am looking for in a whiskey.

Also, ready for it? Ready? Glenfiddich. My local store sold me their only bottle of the Bourbon Barrel release and it was a thing of beauty. Have also been snapping up their limited releases of the 18 year old that appear from time to time (not the garden variety 18s, which are also quite good) as well as the original recipe experiment..
post #3926 of 4254

Decided to join the SMWS.  You used to get a bottle along with the dues; now that's been reduced to 3 100ml tasters and a welcome pack.  A couple of the tasters, all enjoyable:

 

And picked up some independent bottlings recently too.

post #3927 of 4254
Not exactly scotch, but Tullamore DEW Phoenix is quite pleasant as a sherried daily drinker. It's bottled at 55%, so it's got pretty good punch and quite a bargain.
post #3928 of 4254
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrown85 View Post

I need more Talisker in my life. The DE is fantastic, but a friend says that he's tried both the 10 year and the DE side by side and wasn't able to tell the difference. The Lagavulin DE is good, too. Almost finished that bottle.

 

I shudder to think what the LCBO would charge for a bottle of Talisker DE given they charge $100 for Talisker 10.

 

Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of Talisker Storm and Talisker 10? I've never tried the Storm as I heard it wasn't as good and it was the same price as 10, but it's now $10 cheaper so I'd be curious to know.

post #3929 of 4254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
 

 

I shudder to think what the LCBO would charge for a bottle of Talisker DE given they charge $100 for Talisker 10.

 

I have a bottle of Talisker DE and I purchased it from the LCBO. It was a while back now, but I remember it to be in the neighbourhood of $140.

 

Lagavulin DE is $160 at the LCBO and Oban DE is $140.

 

They DE releases are rarely available at the LCBO, and when they are, they go quickly.

post #3930 of 4254
Opened this up last night



Very strong and alcoholic. A few drops of water really opened it up. Vanilla and fruitcake notes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Any One for a Scotch?