or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Any One for a Scotch?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any One for a Scotch? - Page 258

post #3856 of 4409
Foo - my first thought is similar to the above opinions.

What to replace - I'm not that familiar with all the itirations but I'd say drop one of the Laphroiags and replace it with an Ardbeg 10 (or special edition), a Laguvlin 12 (otherwise 16).
What you may not find - The Macallans are now unaged statements so not sure you'll find the 18.
Add a twist - also for the Balvenie there are a few nice versions like the Portwood or Carribean cask. I recall one of those being cheap and one being super expensive.
Additions - Would highly consider adding a Talisker in there like Dark Storm or yes, Springbank which is a bit different from the Laphroiags, Ardbegs, and Lagavulins. A Highland Park would be a great addition as an easier to drink rounder outer and also nice for a guest who may not like smoke/peat; the 18 is fantastic, and 12 is still very good too. Oh and just cause you're asking for recomendations, personally I find Auchentochen 3 wood a great easy to drink and pretty inexpensive addition.
post #3857 of 4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

Foo - my first thought is similar to the above opinions.

What to replace - I'm not that familiar with all the itirations but I'd say drop one of the Laphroiags and replace it with an Ardbeg 10 (or special edition), a Laguvlin 12 (otherwise 16).
What you may not find - The Macallans are now unaged statements so not sure you'll find the 18.
Add a twist - also for the Balvenie there are a few nice versions like the Portwood or Carribean cask. I recall one of those being cheap and one being super expensive.
Additions - Would highly consider adding a Talisker in there like Dark Storm or yes, Springbank which is a bit different from the Laphroiags, Ardbegs, and Lagavulins. A Highland Park would be a great addition as an easier to drink rounder outer and also nice for a guest who may not like smoke/peat; the 18 is fantastic, and 12 is still very good too. Oh and just cause you're asking for recomendations, personally I find Auchentochen 3 wood a great easy to drink and pretty inexpensive addition.

I'd second (or third) the Springbank recommendation. They're doing something unique and are the opposite of a chore to drink. I'm also with brp2 on the A'bunadh, though it's generally well rated and occupies a different place than the rest of the list.

The Talisker Dark Storm and HP Dark Origins disappointed me, and I like both distillers. They seemed a little one-dimensional to me, but I know others who enjoy them.

As for an addition, an Old Pulteney 21 is another nice, well rounded scotch that disappeared in short order after I opened the bottle.
post #3858 of 4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

The Macallans are now unaged statements so not sure you'll find the 18.
May I ask for your validation on this? I didn't know MAC was going all NAS now. The 18 is a little more difficult to find now, but the rest of their ages statement bottling a are readily available where I am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGimpy View Post

As for an addition, an Old Pulteney 21 is another nice, well rounded scotch that disappeared in short order after I opened the bottle.
Great recommendation, I'm a big fan of this underrated distillery.
post #3859 of 4409
I could be wrong on that but my understanding was that they had their lineup of 12, 15, 18, 25 etc and have now moved to NAS with those color schemes. I've looked at LCBO and various shops 'round the world and the age statement bottles seem to have disappeared from what I can tell. Are you seeing regular restocks or decent volume on shelf of the aged ones?
post #3860 of 4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

I could be wrong on that but my understanding was that they had their lineup of 12, 15, 18, 25 etc and have now moved to NAS with those color schemes. I've looked at LCBO and various shops 'round the world and the age statement bottles seem to have disappeared from what I can tell. Are you seeing regular restocks or decent volume on shelf of the aged ones?

That's strange indeed, even my local Walmart has MAC 10 and 12 at the ready. You can still get the full range at both TotalWine stores here central FL. Local shops carry the usual suspects MAC 10, 12, 15, and usually a bottle or two of 18 still as well.

The only NOS MAC i have seen is that Rare Cask bottling, which I refuse to believe is better than a similarly priced bottle of MAC 18. The only MAC I truly miss is the cask strength NOS version, but A'bunadh will do in a pinch for me. What other NOS MAC's have you seen out there, any CS versions?
post #3861 of 4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

That's strange indeed, even my local Walmart has MAC 10 and 12 at the ready. You can still get the full range at both TotalWine stores here central FL. Local shops carry the usual suspects MAC 10, 12, 15, and usually a bottle or two of 18 still as well.

The only NOS MAC i have seen is that Rare Cask bottling, which I refuse to believe is better than a similarly priced bottle of MAC 18. The only MAC I truly miss is the cask strength NOS version, but A'bunadh will do in a pinch for me. What other NOS MAC's have you seen out there, any CS versions?
I have the Edition No 1 which sells for $90 - $120 in NYC area. Numerous casks used to age. 48% strength. I think it's excellent for the money but I haven't tried many whiskeys in the $100+ range, only a few.
post #3862 of 4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

Foo - my first thought is similar to the above opinions.

What to replace - I'm not that familiar with all the itirations but I'd say drop one of the Laphroiags and replace it with an Ardbeg 10 (or special edition), a Laguvlin 12 (otherwise 16).
What you may not find - The Macallans are now unaged statements so not sure you'll find the 18.
Add a twist - also for the Balvenie there are a few nice versions like the Portwood or Carribean cask. I recall one of those being cheap and one being super expensive.
Additions - Would highly consider adding a Talisker in there like Dark Storm or yes, Springbank which is a bit different from the Laphroiags, Ardbegs, and Lagavulins. A Highland Park would be a great addition as an easier to drink rounder outer and also nice for a guest who may not like smoke/peat; the 18 is fantastic, and 12 is still very good too. Oh and just cause you're asking for recomendations, personally I find Auchentochen 3 wood a great easy to drink and pretty inexpensive addition.

Laphroaig is my favorite. Always have 18 stocked. Wanted to try 25 cask strength as well.

Talisker, Ardbeg and Laguvilin don't do much for me.

Balvenie 21 I also normally keep around. It is Port wood aged.

Highland Park I need to try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGimpy View Post

I'd second (or third) the Springbank recommendation. They're doing something unique and are the opposite of a chore to drink. I'm also with brp2 on the A'bunadh, though it's generally well rated and occupies a different place than the rest of the list.

Not familiar with Springbank. Will need to try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

That's strange indeed, even my local Walmart has MAC 10 and 12 at the ready. You can still get the full range at both TotalWine stores here central FL. Local shops carry the usual suspects MAC 10, 12, 15, and usually a bottle or two of 18 still as well.

The only NOS MAC i have seen is that Rare Cask bottling, which I refuse to believe is better than a similarly priced bottle of MAC 18. The only MAC I truly miss is the cask strength NOS version, but A'bunadh will do in a pinch for me. What other NOS MAC's have you seen out there, any CS versions?

Macallan 18 is readily available everywhere. I did read recently that many of the distilleries, including Macallan, are being forced toward NAS. Aged supply is thinning.
post #3863 of 4409
Well, I put in my initial order:

Bunnahabhain 25
GlenDronach 21 Single Cask (1994)
Glenglassaugh 30
Laphroaig 25 Cask Strength
Macallan 18

Never tried Glenglassaugh, but the price can't be beat for a 30-year-old whisky. Reviews are good. Interesting story. Revived mothballed distillery, etc.

Need to order Balvenie 21 separately. One of my favorites. Would kill for the non chill-filtered travel version.

The Macallan 18 is to make guests feel nice without dipping into my good stuff. Not cheap, but common enough I don't have to feel bad about sharing it with the uninitiated.

Standby bottles already in place: Laphroaig 18, Bunnahabhain 18, Aberlour A'Bunadh, Balvenie 15 Single Cask.

Going to be an awesome year!
post #3864 of 4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Macallan 18 is readily available everywhere. I did read recently that many of the distilleries, including Macallan, are being forced toward NAS. Aged supply is thinning.

This is my understand of the whole scotch industry in general. Demand is exceeding supply by a lot, not good for an industry that requires 12-25 years to produce it's best products.

The NAS strategy is a bandaid IMO, and i'm fearful for the future of quality scotch availability.
post #3865 of 4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Well, I put in my initial order:

Bunnahabhain 25
GlenDronach 21 Single Cask (1994)
Glenglassaugh 30
Laphroaig 25 Cask Strength
Macallan 18

Never tried Glenglassaugh, but the price can't be beat for a 30-year-old whisky. Reviews are good. Interesting story. Revived mothballed distillery, etc.

Need to order Balvenie 21 separately. One of my favorites. Would kill for the non chill-filtered travel version.

The Macallan 18 is to make guests feel nice without dipping into my good stuff. Not cheap, but common enough I don't have to feel bad about sharing it with the uninitiated.

Standby bottles already in place: Laphroaig 18, Bunnahabhain 18, Aberlour A'Bunadh, Balvenie 15 Single Cask.

Going to be an awesome year!

Looks pretty great. Don't forget, you can order small drams from masterofmalt if you're wanting to try something not on your list. I know people who have used the service before and it's an awesome idea.
post #3866 of 4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

That's strange indeed, even my local Walmart has MAC 10 and 12 at the ready. You can still get the full range at both TotalWine stores here central FL. Local shops carry the usual suspects MAC 10, 12, 15, and usually a bottle or two of 18 still as well.
The only NOS MAC i have seen is that Rare Cask bottling, which I refuse to believe is better than a similarly priced bottle of MAC 18. The only MAC I truly miss is the cask strength NOS version, but A'bunadh will do in a pinch for me. What other NOS MAC's have you seen out there, any CS versions?
Well look, I'll go double check on this then but I could have sworn they were fully moving into NAS style and the aged stock was running out. I haven't seen any aged versions around here or any duty free I've been to (3-5 of them in the past year around the world) so it was my understanding the supply was going very fast and all the years were being replaced by that color scheme version (amber, green, red etc). I don't know if those stores have backstock or it's still coming but I haven't seen aged Mac in quite a while. I did read an article oh probably 6 months ago about it and Mac said that they were in favor of it (eh who knows) becuase everyone gets so wrapped up in the exact year/age of a scotch when really it's only an indicator and there's stuff that's junk at 25-30 years and it's novelty and then things like QC that are only actually about 6-7 years and in the end as long as it's a good product and you trust the brand and blender, then who cares what exact number of 'years' it aged for. It's like picking a suit based on a brand name and chest size, really doesn't tell you anything you actually need to know about how it'll fit you. I only have a Mac 12 myself, would like to add the 18 and was bummed I missed out on that CS version a couple of years 'back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Laphroaig is my favorite. Always have 18 stocked. Wanted to try 25 cask strength as well.
Talisker, Ardbeg and Laguvilin don't do much for me.
Balvenie 21 I also normally keep around. It is Port wood aged.
Highland Park I need to try.
Not familiar with Springbank. Will need to try.
Macallan 18 is readily available everywhere. I did read recently that many of the distilleries, including Macallan, are being forced toward NAS. Aged supply is thinning.
Ah, I didn't realize you had actually tried all of these already. Figured you were just doing a big blind buy of the best known Scotches and picking fairly high age versions because why not. OK so if you've tried Talisker, Ardbeg and Laguvulin and don't really like them, then I'd say at least for now don't force it. You seem to know your own taste quite well. And a debatable point here but I'd say that if you don't like the standard expressions of those then for now don't bother trying their various editions either becuase at their core they're still more or less the house style just with a minor tweak. OK so if you know and love Laphroaig, then the 18 is a solid pick and if you're going through Duty Free, check out the P/X version which if you like a bit of sherry addition, and given that you have A'bunadh I'd assume you do, because that might be an interesting winner for you.
Highland Park - so keep in mind that it's sort of like the Jonny Walker of better level Scotch, meaning you might find the 12 or 18 actually a little underwhelming, but I think the point with these is that they're just good solid easy to drink Scotches that have a bit of everything going on and are nicely balanced and consistent. I've heard really mixed reviews about all of their many many 'special' versions, so IMO I'd say stick with the standard expressions for now. The HP's are great to give a guest who isn't really into scotch or doesn't want anything that'll bowl them over. 12 is a great cheap drinker and the 18 is a very nicely balanced classy glass IMO.
Springbank is definitely worth a try.... now if you liked Laphroaig but didn't like Ardbeg, Talisker, or Lagavulin, then I'm still not exactly sure what you'll make of it, but it is different enough from all of those others that one of them is definitely worth a shot. Perhaps a dram at a local bar is a good way to get a sense before buying a bottle. I think I have the 12 for now but have heard great things about the 15 and 18 as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

This is my understand of the whole scotch industry in general. Demand is exceeding supply by a lot, not good for an industry that requires 12-25 years to produce it's best products. The NAS strategy is a bandaid IMO, and i'm fearful for the future of quality scotch availability.
I hope that this sort of artisanal #menswear revival thing will pass over withing the next few years... the tight suits, the flashy shoes, the weird facial hair, and the cocktail mania etc and they'll move on to something else and leave all the good stuff to those who've been into it long before it was mainstream cool. And hopefully there'll still be some Pappy and single malts left for those of us that remain. #getoffmylawn
post #3867 of 4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

Well look, I'll go double check on this then but I could have sworn they were fully moving into NAS style and the aged stock was running out. I haven't seen any aged versions around here or any duty free I've been to (3-5 of them in the past year around the world) so it was my understanding the supply was going very fast and all the years were being replaced by that color scheme version (amber, green, red etc). I don't know if those stores have backstock or it's still coming but I haven't seen aged Mac in quite a while. I did read an article oh probably 6 months ago about it and Mac said that they were in favor of it (eh who knows) becuase everyone gets so wrapped up in the exact year/age of a scotch when really it's only an indicator and there's stuff that's junk at 25-30 years and it's novelty and then things like QC that are only actually about 6-7 years and in the end as long as it's a good product and you trust the brand and blender, then who cares what exact number of 'years' it aged for. It's like picking a suit based on a brand name and chest size, really doesn't tell you anything you actually need to know about how it'll fit you. I only have a Mac 12 myself, would like to add the 18 and was bummed I missed out on that CS version a couple of years 'back.
Ah, I didn't realize you had actually tried all of these already. Figured you were just doing a big blind buy of the best known Scotches and picking fairly high age versions because why not. OK so if you've tried Talisker, Ardbeg and Laguvulin and don't really like them, then I'd say at least for now don't force it. You seem to know your own taste quite well. And a debatable point here but I'd say that if you don't like the standard expressions of those then for now don't bother trying their various editions either becuase at their core they're still more or less the house style just with a minor tweak. OK so if you know and love Laphroaig, then the 18 is a solid pick and if you're going through Duty Free, check out the P/X version which if you like a bit of sherry addition, and given that you have A'bunadh I'd assume you do, because that might be an interesting winner for you.
Highland Park - so keep in mind that it's sort of like the Jonny Walker of better level Scotch, meaning you might find the 12 or 18 actually a little underwhelming, but I think the point with these is that they're just good solid easy to drink Scotches that have a bit of everything going on and are nicely balanced and consistent. I've heard really mixed reviews about all of their many many 'special' versions, so IMO I'd say stick with the standard expressions for now. The HP's are great to give a guest who isn't really into scotch or doesn't want anything that'll bowl them over. 12 is a great cheap drinker and the 18 is a very nicely balanced classy glass IMO.
Springbank is definitely worth a try.... now if you liked Laphroaig but didn't like Ardbeg, Talisker, or Lagavulin, then I'm still not exactly sure what you'll make of it, but it is different enough from all of those others that one of them is definitely worth a shot. Perhaps a dram at a local bar is a good way to get a sense before buying a bottle. I think I have the 12 for now but have heard great things about the 15 and 18 as well.
I hope that this sort of artisanal #menswear revival thing will pass over withing the next few years... the tight suits, the flashy shoes, the weird facial hair, and the cocktail mania etc and they'll move on to something else and leave all the good stuff to those who've been into it long before it was mainstream cool. And hopefully there'll still be some Pappy and single malts left for those of us that remain. #getoffmylawn

Goddamned hipsters with their moustsche wax, saison beer and craft whisky. #getoffmylawn

post #3868 of 4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post


I hope that this sort of artisanal #menswear revival thing will pass over withing the next few years... the tight suits, the flashy shoes, the weird facial hair, and the cocktail mania etc and they'll move on to something else and leave all the good stuff to those who've been into it long before it was mainstream cool. And hopefully there'll still be some Pappy and single malts left for those of us that remain. #getoffmylawn

Doesn't look like it. I can't even keep track anymore of the number of people, not having ever been whisk(e)y enthusiasts, who read some article about prices shooting up in auctions, and go out and buy random whiskies, and then come show off to me how well they did. A colleague the other day bought 3 bottles of Yoichi 10 yr, at the supermarket in HK no less, for double the retail price in Japan, and thought he made out like a bandit because he read that Yoichi is going to NAS bottlings. They are going to NAS, but there is little to no demand in the secondary market for this bottling, and there will be no price appreciation at the price he acquired the bottles. It's people like this who are driving up the retail prices and reducing the supply, without any appreciation for the product at all.
post #3869 of 4409
I'm all in favor of people really getting into something and enjoying it and learning about the craft etc, but it bugs me when someone just walks in and throws some cash at the problem and buys the 'top recommended' ones, or in this case, everyone wants to be a special unicorn so they're searching for the secret edition only known to true enthusiasts version of it and then they buy it, still not really knowing what it is or why it's beloved, just that it's the 'one' you're supposed to have when you're in the know and because it's the hard to produce stuff, the rest of us go back to the store one day and are like huh what wha, what happened to my beloved bottle's price and supply? Raffle, what the hell is that? I mean it's like going to go get a bespoke suit and just saying eh make me a whatever I don't really care, I just want a suit that's bespoke, you figure it out.

Also, I'm at the bottom of a rather large glass of rye, so might just be old man rambling here...
post #3870 of 4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

I'm all in favor of people really getting into something and enjoying it and learning about the craft etc, but it bugs me when someone just walks in and throws some cash at the problem and buys the 'top recommended' ones, or in this case, everyone wants to be a special unicorn so they're searching for the secret edition only known to true enthusiasts version of it and then they buy it, still not really knowing what it is or why it's beloved, just that it's the 'one' you're supposed to have when you're in the know and because it's the hard to produce stuff, the rest of us go back to the store one day and are like huh what wha, what happened to my beloved bottle's price and supply? Raffle, what the hell is that? I mean it's like going to go get a bespoke suit and just saying eh make me a whatever I don't really care, I just want a suit that's bespoke, you figure it out.

Also, I'm at the bottom of a rather large glass of rye, so might just be old man rambling here...

Well said Daniel.

 

I have a few views on this.  Yes, collectors as always suck.  I "collect" some bottles but I fully intend on drinking every one.  It might not be for another 30 years, but I will.  Despite my finds a couple of posts ago I will not be selling that Yamazaki anytime soon (unless to invest in childrens college education)  I also dont want to turn anyone away from a new hobby.  Who knows if some Stephen Hawking of whisky has yet to be turned on to the stuff.  What if they could solve the current stock shortage?

 

I can correlate my experience with my scent collection as well.  I just got into real fragrances a year ago and the experience has been crazy.  I have a drawer full of samples and a few bottles.  I literally had to emerge myself in it and I have barely touched the tip of the iceberg.  I can imagine it being the same for someone just starting single malts (or higher end blends)  There is a HUGE amount of whisky out there.  I remember stumbling onto the malt maniacs website and spending days there reading and looking through whisky lists.  What puzzled me is that there were all these weird bottles on there that I had never seen nor heard of.  And that is when I discovered independent bottlers.  That my friends is the tip of the iceberg of whisky.  One can get lost in all of the independent bottlers.  Independent bottlers may also help one stay away from the crazy Official Bottler prices as they have much lower overhead.

 

I dont want a unicorn (although I think I have several nice bottles)  I think thats why my daily is still A'bunadh or something else cheap, cs, and sherried.  I tried the peats and smokes and like them but I would get the worst headaches the next day because of all the "bad stuff" in them (impurities that come with the smoke and peat)

 

Anyways enough of the rambling.  What I think scotch companies should do (if they plan on continuing the NAS) is start buying factory space near the equator and start aging there.  I'll just state my now favorite non scotch single malt comes from Amrut which is an Indian whisky.  Their whisky ages quickly and they really do great things with their stuff.  If someone like a Talisker or Balvenie would team up with them it would be amazing.  

 

So  @mafoofan try some Amrut.  They have sherry and some peat ones that are great.  I'd recommend the Portonova if you can find it or the Intermediate Sherry.  Their cask strength regular stuff is super peaty as well.

 

And damn you people stop drinking all my whisky! :censored: 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Any One for a Scotch?