or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Any One for a Scotch?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any One for a Scotch? - Page 215

post #3211 of 3274
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGimpy View Post


I haven't tried the 12 but did go through a bottle of the 21 in short order. To me, the defining characteristic was balance, though it absolutely had maritime traits. I'd love to get more but it's outrageously expensive in Ontario.

It's a much mellower scotch than both the Lagavulin (16) and the Talisker (10). Not sure how it compares to the Talisker 18--haven't sampled that one yet.

I'm in Ontario as well... doesn't appear to be much selection of OP at LCBO either

Do you ever buy scotch from anywhere other than the LCBO?

post #3212 of 3274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Michael View Post

I'm in Ontario as well... doesn't appear to be much selection of OP at LCBO either
Do you ever buy scotch from anywhere other than the LCBO?

Not often. I get the occasional bottle from other provinces, travel retail, and south of the border. There are still some things from LCBO that I'd like to try, though their selection is poor.
post #3213 of 3274

I believe LCBO does sometimes have some interesting stuff (especially through Vintages) but its often madly expensive.

I find any Scotch they sell that's older than 15 years is far too expensive. I could be wrong... perhaps they're equally as expensive in the US, but I doubt it.

post #3214 of 3274
have you guys checked out the Summerhill location? Just went there and started looking closer and they have a pretty good selection, especially of specialty beers


but yeah agreed the older scotches and stuff are considerably overpriced compared to the usa.

just incase anyone's interested, I'm a little OCD about this, or maybe I have more time than money but I've got a self-compiled list of bourbon, scotch and general liquor and the prices at LCBO and 2-3 NYC stores for comparison so I know which ones to get while I'm there versus here. If any of you Toronto guys want a copy just PM me with an email address
post #3215 of 3274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

have you guys checked out the Summerhill location? Just went there and started looking closer and they have a pretty good selection, especially of specialty beers


but yeah agreed the older scotches and stuff are considerably overpriced compared to the usa.

just incase anyone's interested, I'm a little OCD about this, or maybe I have more time than money but I've got a self-compiled list of bourbon, scotch and general liquor and the prices at LCBO and 2-3 NYC stores for comparison so I know which ones to get while I'm there versus here. If any of you Toronto guys want a copy just PM me with an email address

PM sent. This would be useful.
post #3216 of 3274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

have you guys checked out the Summerhill location? Just went there and started looking closer and they have a pretty good selection, especially of specialty beers


but yeah agreed the older scotches and stuff are considerably overpriced compared to the usa.

just incase anyone's interested, I'm a little OCD about this, or maybe I have more time than money but I've got a self-compiled list of bourbon, scotch and general liquor and the prices at LCBO and 2-3 NYC stores for comparison so I know which ones to get while I'm there versus here. If any of you Toronto guys want a copy just PM me with an email address

PM'd you- thanks!

post #3217 of 3274

Finally got a bottle. Mmm..I missed this. Aged in oak, light, with an enjoyable nose and with creaminess, fruit and spice all present in the smooth, long finish.
post #3218 of 3274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltricks View Post


Finally got a bottle. Mmm..I missed this. Aged in oak, light, with an enjoyable nose and with creaminess, fruit and spice all present in the smooth, long finish.

Ow, you lucky beast! The orange zest is something special.

I'm lucky that my local cigar bar carries it, because it's sold out everywhere i have looked for it...
post #3219 of 3274
Tried Ardbeg Ardbog last night



There's always a lot of hype around Ardbeg releases but this one was really good!
post #3220 of 3274
Gentlemen, don't know if you're aware of this but it is a popular auction site. Certainly worth a look.

http://www.mctears.co.uk/departments/whisky.aspx
post #3221 of 3274
post #3222 of 3274
On my second bottle of Glenfarclas 12… God this thing is soooo smooth… It's thick and the end is spicy but also sweet as honey… I like it better than Macallan 18… shog[1].gif
post #3223 of 3274


came across this a couple months ago - couldn't manage to expense the macallan 57 unfortunately...

i will put in a good word for the caol ila muscatel distiller's edition - certainly in the running for my best bottle for the money.
post #3224 of 3274
What currency is that menu listed in?
post #3225 of 3274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

What currency is that menu listed in?

I thought it looked high myself, but for a full bottle of the stuff it's not so bad...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Any One for a Scotch?