or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Any One for a Scotch?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any One for a Scotch? - Page 181

post #2701 of 3205
hit up a few good liquor stores and see if they have tastings. read up on the characteristics of the regions and see which ones you like by going to a bar and trying a few of them
post #2702 of 3205
Get a taste for the basics first. Glenmorangie 10 yr, Macallan 12, highland park 12, talisker 10, Laphroaig 10 and Bunnahabhain 12. Once you start to find your region of preference you'll want to dabble more in those areas and start to see what age does them and so on.

There is a lot of interest that some of the younger scotches have that their 18 yr counterparts do not, and vice versa, so there is no need to get caught up in older scotches immediately, they'll add interest once you have refined your preference.
post #2703 of 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelscott7 View Post

Tried the Hazelburn 8 tonight, it's ok with a nice sweet aftertaste, but it doesn't last very long. I think that this would be much better aged for a few more years. There is a 12 year that I think would be really good. Overall it was worth buying, but I don't think that I'll be buying another bottle.
IIRC it's one of the LCBO clearance ones? I think they were like $25-30 off retail, but at $60-70 it's too much of a blind risk for me. I guess you'll never really get a bad Scotch for $50+ but who really can just guess if they'll be good or not.
post #2704 of 3205
Knowledge is power, and teh great this about this is that knowledge is drinking it! You can read a lot on the internet, but your palate is always going to be your palate. As much as "try this at a bar" may work for some, it doesn't work for me. But I like whiskey, so from all of the bottles I bought, I really on DISLIKED one...Angels Envy Rye.

If you find a liquor store with a decent selection, chances are they will have a few bottles, from across the spectrum, open for samples.That'd be the best bet for me. I feel in a bar, there are so many other things in the air that may affect your palate, and since I usually drink at home, I find tasting at a liquor store to be a far better representation of what the drink will be like for me.
post #2705 of 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

IIRC it's one of the LCBO clearance ones? I think they were like $25-30 off retail, but at $60-70 it's too much of a blind risk for me. I guess you'll never really get a bad Scotch for $50+ but who really can just guess if they'll be good or not.

I like Rob's suggestion to try them at a place which has or will open bottles for you. The canals local to me will go through the basics with you and let you try stuff from every region.

For me, I have a large variety of likes that all strike me depending on my mood. So I will revisit a bottle that I didn't like and find that at another point I enjoy it.

Sometimes I think searching for what you are looking for is better than finding it, so enjoy the hunt.
post #2706 of 3205
woah. didn't know liquor stores did that. need to find better stores around me
post #2707 of 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post


IIRC it's one of the LCBO clearance ones? I think they were like $25-30 off retail, but at $60-70 it's too much of a blind risk for me. I guess you'll never really get a bad Scotch for $50+ but who really can just guess if they'll be good or not.

Yes, it was one from that list. I figured I would give it a try and I read some reviews online and thought that it may be something I like. I don't regret buying it, but wouldn't recommend it to others. If you are in Toronto,both the Sumerhill and Queens Quay stores have tasting bars where you can try a sample for roughly $2-3 each. I had the Bunnahabhain 18 at summerhill last weekend and it was really good, although maybe not worth the 150 they want for it. Definitely a great way to try some different scotch. Usually each store will have a different selection available as well.

post #2708 of 3205
Humble whiskey sampling last night:



I picked up a sampling pack from my local store, i had wanted to try the Lagavulin 16 as well as the Talisker 10, but i had no knowledge of the Cragganmore. The Lagavulin was fantastic, more subtle peat than the Laphroaig i have, but with some fruity and cherry notes to my tongue. I smelled something medicinal in the Talisker, not sure i liked it, but will give it another try later. The Cragganmore was ok to me, gentle and sweet.

As a bonus, my buddy brought over his Dewar's blends. I enjoyed the 12 more than the 18, it had this great dark honeycomb smell and taste. Nice time all around.

I also discover a local cigar bar earlier (which served whiskeys as well), and took the opportunity to sample the MAC 18. I like the 12, but i thoroughly enjoyed the 18, it was fantastic and i took my time with it. Will invest in a bottle now...
post #2709 of 3205
I like macallan 18 but generally refuse to pay 180-200 for an 18yr scotch. The 12yr and 15yr are both fairly reasonable.
post #2710 of 3205
My local store has it at 150 for the 18, so it's still expensive, but a little easier to swallow...
post #2711 of 3205
My brother got me a 375mL bottle of the 18 for Christmas in 2012. It's the only Scotch I have in the house right now. Thanks to you folks, I think I'll have to pour myself some when I get home.
post #2712 of 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelscott7 View Post

Yes, it was one from that list. I figured I would give it a try and I read some reviews online and thought that it may be something I like. I don't regret buying it, but wouldn't recommend it to others. If you are in Toronto,both the Sumerhill and Queens Quay stores have tasting bars where you can try a sample for roughly $2-3 each. I had the Bunnahabhain 18 at summerhill last weekend and it was really good, although maybe not worth the 150 they want for it. Definitely a great way to try some different scotch. Usually each store will have a different selection available as well.
Good to know, thanks! I'll see if I can swing past the Summerhill location one evening on the way home (hic!). At least you read some reviews, I was assuming you just dropped the $70 as a blind buy, not that it's a huge amount of money, but there's plenty of stuff I know is good at that price already. I've got so many to try since I'm just starting out and have bought 4-5 full bottles without even having tasted them, so the LCBO taste tests is probably the way to go from now on...
post #2713 of 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post


Good to know, thanks! I'll see if I can swing past the Summerhill location one evening on the way home (hic!). At least you read some reviews, I was assuming you just dropped the $70 as a blind buy, not that it's a huge amount of money, but there's plenty of stuff I know is good at that price already. I've got so many to try since I'm just starting out and have bought 4-5 full bottles without even having tasted them, so the LCBO taste tests is probably the way to go from now on...

 

The Summerhill location is great for tasting. Unfortunately, you can only taste what they have opened at the time, but it changes once the bottle is finished (about once a month they said). Got to try JW Blue, Macallan Ruby, Lavagulin 18, and some others.

post #2714 of 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

I have a bottle of gold that was a gift, but I generally avoid blends. Looking for one off casks more than anything.

 



Green is completely acceptable if you can find it. Unlike other Walker blends, they actually tell you where it came from on the box:
"1) Talisker - The Power
2) Linkwood - The Finesse
3) Cragganmore - The Heart
4) Caol Ila - The Mystery"

Say what you will about the descriptors, all of this balances out to a nice blend with pronounced Islay/Skye character.
post #2715 of 3205
Any thought on the Edradour Distillery? Just found out my Glenforres Glenlivet is actually Edradour Whiskey...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Any One for a Scotch?