or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Any One for a Scotch?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any One for a Scotch? - Page 133

post #1981 of 3253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

For teh first time ever on SF, I shall write: TL; DNR. Massive reading for my last overloaded semester of law school limits my ambition....

I regret to note that I read at least 30 pages of journal writing about scotch chemistry.


I don't think it should be a source of regret -- was the article good?

post #1982 of 3253
I enjoy the Nectar D'or as well, great scotch. I'll fallow up with you guys after giving the Ruban. I also usually really enjoy scotches with a second maturation.

Do you guys also have the habit of keeping something for special purpose if you really enjoy it? All of my favourite scotches are nearly full on my bar, where the lesser ones are more often nearing their end. I generally won't drink through it until I get a backup or two.
post #1983 of 3253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

 
Hope you have tried the 'Distillery Edition' Diageo's, each of: Oban, Cragganmore, Lagavulin, Caol Ila, Talisker, Dalwhinnie, and, oh, a Lowland I forget (listed in order of my preference). I also love the Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or --

I had the Talisker last night...it was delightful. I also love the Nectar D'Or and Balvenie CC. The Oban I believe has a significantly higher % which I'm not too crazy about, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

I enjoy the Nectar D'or as well, great scotch. I'll fallow up with you guys after giving the Ruban. I also usually really enjoy scotches with a second maturation.

Do you guys also have the habit of keeping something for special purpose if you really enjoy it? All of my favourite scotches are nearly full on my bar, where the lesser ones are more often nearing their end. I generally won't drink through it until I get a backup or two.

I just drink what I like, to be honest I'd rather have more of a variety at all times than backups of what I love. Although, i did buy a second bottle of the Balvenie Caribbean Cask.
post #1984 of 3253
sorry for the odd double post (thanks iPad),

I have a couple of bottles on the bar that I'm less excited about, I often catching myself wanting to drink through so that their spot can be replaced with something better. Just a strange idiosyncrasy I guess.

You guys keep reminding me that I need to buy a bottle of Caribbean cask, hehe.
Edited by SkinnyGoomba - 2/3/13 at 9:01am
post #1985 of 3253
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

I enjoy the Nectar D'or as well, great scotch. I'll fallow up with you guys after giving the Ruban a taste. I also usually really enjoy scotches with a second maturation.

Do you guys also have the habit of keeping something for special purpose if you really enjoy it? All of my favourite scotches are nearly full on my bar, where the lesser ones are more often nearing their end. I generally won't drink through it until I get a backup or two.

 

I keep HP 18 in stock at all times. Once the current bottle is half done, I get a backup. 

 

For 'special purposes' - A.D. Rattray bottling of Bunnahabain 30 yr old is definitely a special occasion Scotch.

post #1986 of 3253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post


I don't think it should be a source of regret -- was the article good?

One full article and skimmed several others. Good I suppose, but somewhat over my head. I'm the wrong kind of chemist for that stuff. Interesting anyway.
post #1987 of 3253
I think I need to get a bottle of HP 18, I've yet to try it, but it seems very well reviewed here.

My Aberlour is near death and it has been waiting for my local specialty shop to get in some stock.
post #1988 of 3253
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

I think I need to get a bottle of HP 18, I've yet to try it, but it seems very well reviewed here.
 

 

While I obviously am a fan of HP 18, why not try it (perhaps alongside the HP 15) at a local bar first? You're in Manhattan, so surely spoiled for choice. Palates vary so much like a needless gamble to buy on the basis of others' reviews unless you've calibrated yourself to them already through prior experimentation. 

post #1989 of 3253
Hah, thats where my avatar lives, I'm in NJ. But I agree, I will give it a shot at the bar next time out.
post #1990 of 3253

Do try it alongside the HP 15 - I prefer the 18 by a long shot but not everyone agrees, and the 15 is cheaper.

post #1991 of 3253
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

Hah, thats where my avatar lives, I'm in NJ. But I agree, I will give it a shot at the bar next time out.

If you're close to the city, take the PATH in and go to Hudson Bar and Books on Hudson between I think Jane and Horatio. They do a six tasting special of the high end scotch (lots of 25 year olds) for $49 (half an ounce of each) and the same for the middle end stuff for about $42 that would include the HP18. It's the easiest way to try a bunch of good scotch. Awesome place and if you like a cigar as well, then hard to match.
post #1992 of 3253
Thanks fellas. Ps...Quinta Ruban is good!
post #1993 of 3253
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

Thanks fellas. Ps...Quinta Ruban is good!

SG, if you have a Joe Canals by you (the one I visit is in Woodbridge on Rt 1) they sell the HP 12 with a free sampler of the 18 included.
post #1994 of 3253
Thanks rob, I've got one near by.
post #1995 of 3253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longmorn View Post

Do try it alongside the HP 15 - I prefer the 18 by a long shot but not everyone agrees, and the 15 is cheaper.

I agree with this. I don't even think that the 15 is as good as the 12.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Any One for a Scotch?