or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 6

post #76 of 1595
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolecho View Post

I received my Baker Russet belt a while back. I have used it a couple of times, and also applied some bridle feed on it. The feed does not darken the belt much but I think the belt should age very nicely with use over time. If I compare my Segwick Australian Nut belt with Baker Russet belt, I'd say that Baker is thicker and a bit stiffer at first (but softening with use). The Baker belt has some natural marks that is quite attractive for its intended use with jeans. Sedgwick is a lot more consistent in colour and lacks the natural markings that is present in Baker's Russet. I like both belts for what they are. Now, if I do not already have a Sedgwick Australian Nut, I would get Baker's version that everyone seems to rave about. Thanks for the great work and service, Charlie.

Thats a really good summation of Bakers v Sedgwick. Sdegwick have a much wider colour range, more consistency between batches and less natural marks on the leather, but the Bakers leather has more character to it , both in the colour but also the leather itself and is much more artisan in its feel. Horses for courses, but the Bakers is definitely one to have for those who love leather for its own sake.

I'm more than happy to send an off cut of the Bakers Australian Nut to anyone who wants to make sure it isn't a duplicate of the Sedgwick Australian Nut if they already have belts in that. Despite the names they are a quite different colour - the Sedgwicks is brown with a hint of red about it, kind of a milk chocolate colour. The Bakers is an oxblood type colour, a deep reddy/black with variations of colour along the length of a strap, closer to the Sedgwicks Burgundy than anything else.

Charlie
post #77 of 1595
Thread Starter 
Just a quick post - we've been snowed under with the Bakers belts recently so I have been around as much as I'd like

This is a quick photo of a watch strap made to match a (my) British Racing Green Sterling Silver Kensington - made because I wanted it - its nice to make something for its own sake from time to time, but maybe a new product line if enough people were interested. Its the same bridle leather as the belt, effectively 2 v small lined and raised belts and is around 4 mm thick once the edges have been burnished so nice and chunky visually but comfortable.

233
post #78 of 1595
I received the Fillis last week and I have to say that I'm very pleased. The belt is very well made and it looks fantastic. But even better is the costumer service they provided, with an outstanding communication. And the package was amazing, with very nice details.
post #79 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus Leather View Post

Just a quick post - we've been snowed under with the Bakers belts recently so I have been around as much as I'd like
This is a quick photo of a watch strap made to match a (my) British Racing Green Sterling Silver Kensington - made because I wanted it - its nice to make something for its own sake from time to time, but maybe a new product line if enough people were interested. Its the same bridle leather as the belt, effectively 2 v small lined and raised belts and is around 4 mm thick once the edges have been burnished so nice and chunky visually but comfortable.
233

Unleash the hounds! As a crazy watch collector with numerous custom straps under my belt (no pun intended happy.gif) I am surely interested. I am thinking about several oversize bronze case Anonimo watches I have that would look great with mini "lined and raised" straps. A few things to consider. Will you offer buckles or just straps? You may need to thin your otherwise substantial leathers near the bar for watches with tight spacing between lugs and cases. Expect all the usually questions around customization. I'll PM to see if you are willing to take on a test project...
post #80 of 1595
Thread Starter 
Hi Kauai,

I'll send you a PM in a mo, certainly be something we'd be interesting on doing. The buckle on that strap is a stainless steel bridle buckle, which seems appropriate! I've seen some of the Pre-Vs etc, I'm sure we can get and use them if we can find a source. I quite like the idea of a simple sterling silver buckle as well will have to think about how the design would work..

Charlie
post #81 of 1595
teh lined and raised
in 1.5 inches
with nickle buckle
should be made mandatory
for it is the perfect jeans belt
post #82 of 1595
Why is the Baker Russet stiffer than the Australia Nut? Is the tannage different or does the dyeing have additional softeners? Or some other reason?
post #83 of 1595
Thread Starter 
Hi Dopey,

The Russet we have is intentionally thicker, 4+mm as opposed to 3.5mm which will make a difference. I believe it is processed in a slightly different way though, the finishing of the Australian Nut must involve quite a bit of oil/grease which will make it more flexible and is responsible for the "pull up" effect it has. It strikes me each colour they have is nearly a different product rather than a different colour, the London Tan is quite different in nature to the Australian nut as well. All three leathers are more flexible than equivalent Sedgwick leathers which I put down to the longer tanning process involved.

Hope this helps,

Charlie
post #84 of 1595
Please, please start making custom watch straps.
post #85 of 1595
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

Please, please start making custom watch straps.

Leave it with me, some prototypes are being discussed with a beta tester at the moment smile.gif
post #86 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauai View Post

Unleash the hounds! As a crazy watch collector with numerous custom straps under my belt (no pun intended happy.gif) I am surely interested. I am thinking about several oversize bronze case Anonimo watches I have that would look great with mini "lined and raised" straps. A few things to consider. Will you offer buckles or just straps? You may need to thin your otherwise substantial leathers near the bar for watches with tight spacing between lugs and cases. Expect all the usually questions around customization. I'll PM to see if you are willing to take on a test project...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus Leather View Post

Just a quick post - we've been snowed under with the Bakers belts recently so I have been around as much as I'd like
This is a quick photo of a watch strap made to match a (my) British Racing Green Sterling Silver Kensington - made because I wanted it - its nice to make something for its own sake from time to time, but maybe a new product line if enough people were interested. Its the same bridle leather as the belt, effectively 2 v small lined and raised belts and is around 4 mm thick once the edges have been burnished so nice and chunky visually but comfortable.
233

great!
post #87 of 1595
Dear Charlie, Beltmaker,

Please forgive my delay in acknowledgment of your shipment of belt leather colour samples which arrived a few days ago. I intended to send you an English translation of what that German beltmaker (mentioned above) wrote describing his belt manufacture, but I haven't had time to do so. I thought such evaluation of his procedures and materials on your part would provide me as belt wearer more knowledge. Since I'm presently in Internet, I wanted to at least express my gratitude for the beautiful leather samples here. There are several colours which I find attractive - for sure Hazel. London tan is remarkable blond, bottle green is deep sea dark. The sooner and more income I get, the sooner and more belts I shall order.
post #88 of 1595
Hi Charlie, I received all 3 belts (green and black Sedgewicks), one Bakers, and the conditioner today.
Thanks so much they are beautiful, and thoughtfully packed. The 2 Sedgewicks remind me of my dad conditioning brand new tack with Ko-Cho-Line leather dressing out of a can when I was younger.
And the Bakers smells just like a new pair of Edward Green shoes when you first open the box, maybe even stronger -- that pleasant sting of well tanned leather.
Thanks again,
I am so glad we can find hand made products like yours in this day and age with many goods mass produced, and the quality of many once-great brands diluted.
Already thinking of another order...
post #89 of 1595
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedCrab View Post

Hi Charlie, I received all 3 belts (green and black Sedgewicks), one Bakers, and the conditioner today.
Thanks so much they are beautiful, and thoughtfully packed. The 2 Sedgewicks remind me of my dad conditioning brand new tack with Ko-Cho-Line leather dressing out of a can when I was younger.
And the Bakers smells just like a new pair of Edward Green shoes when you first open the box, maybe even stronger -- that pleasant sting of well tanned leather.
Thanks again,
I am so glad we can find hand made products like yours in this day and age with many goods mass produced, and the quality of many once-great brands diluted.
Already thinking of another order...

Thank you for the kind words!

Just a heads up for people, our VAT exemption is going to run out at the end of this month I think. Sadly that means that we will have to add 20% VAT for our European customers. For those outside the EU there will be no change, the website will automatically deduct the VAT at checkout when it knows you have a non EU address. I've kept us out as long as I can to keep the prices down for people, but we aren't allowed to any longer sadly. This month might be a good time to buy for EU people..

Charlie
post #90 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus Leather View Post

Thank you for the kind words!
Just a heads up for people, our VAT exemption is going to run out at the end of this month I think. Sadly that means that we will have to add 20% VAT for our European customers. For those outside the EU there will be no change, the website will automatically deduct the VAT at checkout when it knows you have a non EU address. I've kept us out as long as I can to keep the prices down for people, but we aren't allowed to any longer sadly. This month might be a good time to buy for EU people..
Charlie

Is the Bakers belt part of your permanent offerings, or is this a limited time thing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread