or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 14

post #196 of 1086
Thread Starter 
Hi All,

Sorry to have not seen the last few posts - I didn't get the normal notification emails and have been busy so haven't browsed as much as normal. My replies are below.


To Gerry - Fab, glad you like it! The Bakers Australian Nut is a lovely leather, you really can't go wrong with it. Very nice photo as well!

----

To Naive - We can certainly make a Hazel Lined and Raised with contrasting thread, be it white or another colour. The belt would all have to be hazel, including the edges though, we can't do differential lining colours with it unfortunately. Regarding the Italian leather belts, we're going to keep them as a special order item I think, bridle leather is what we do best and I think we're going to stick to that for our core products. The big advantage of the Italian leather is we can make a much thinner belt, the Italian Lined and Raised higher up in the thread is only about 4 1/2mm thick so much more of a summer suit belt than our normal Lined and raised belts are. We can custom make you a belt in that style perfectly happily if thats the kind of thing your looking for?

----

To Jay687

The first thing I'd say is I'm about your hight so have some first hand experience. I'll try to answer your questions in order -

1) Either the West End or Kensington are fine for casual wear - personally I wear west Ends in various metals for nearly everything. The West End in my opinion is probably the smart of the two so if your own style is more formal I'd probably recommend the West End, but either belt is very suitable and certainly people wear both styles for both casual and formal wear.

2) I think 1 1/8" is fine for casual if thats the width you like, but I would tend to wear 1 1/4" for smarter chinos/cords and 1 1/2" for more casual things personally. If you feel thats too wide for you then maybe 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" would be right for you? If you have jeans that have loops for 1 1/2" belts they might look a bit empty with 1 1/8". Just my opinion - I started out wearing 1" belts years ago (I still have it as well, it was the first belt I made 16 years ago) and have gradually worn wider belts over the years and I think that filling the belt loops isn't a bad rule of thumb.

3) We can aim for 31 3/4" without a problem, just let us know at the time you order thats what you want. I'd say a 3/4 gap is probably best between the holes if 1" is too far apart for you. We have done 1/2" holes before but I do think it will shorten the life of the belt. Maybe 5/8" as a compromise? 5 rather than 7 holes is fine

4) Both shoes are some where between Australian Nut and Dark Havanna, probably closer to Dark Havanna I'd say. I can happily send you samples to look at if you like?

5) The boots have brass fittings so brass would compliment them. I'd say satin is the less formal of the finishes, but the metal choice is down to your taste really and the rest of the metal you'll wear. The nickel is lovely and is my personal favourite, the stainless is extremely popular and the brass will give you the widest choice of buckles and widths. We have some very nice pewter 1 1/4" West Ends that might be worth a go - the colour of the stainless but the more refined shape and the lustour of the nickel. I always say buy the one that jumps out at you and gives you a gut feeling of I WANT THAT - doesn't matter what the rules say I don't think, buy what you love not what people tell you to have. The same advice goes on both leather type/colour and width. You should love what you own, not just be content with it

Hope this is some help,

Charlie
post #197 of 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus Leather View Post

Regarding the Italian leather belts, we're going to keep them as a special order item I think, bridle leather is what we do best and I think we're going to stick to that for our core products. The big advantage of the Italian leather is we can make a much thinner belt, the Italian Lined and Raised higher up in the thread is only about 4 1/2mm thick so much more of a summer suit belt than our normal Lined and raised belts are. We can custom make you a belt in that style perfectly happily if thats the kind of thing your looking for?

Good to see the Italian line & raised is still an option.
post #198 of 1086
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd I/O View Post

Good to see the Italian line & raised is still an option.

Definitely still an option either for belts or watch straps. We can also either try to source one off leathers or use leather applied by the customer. There a some rather nice photos somewhere higher in the thread of a Lined and Raised we made using a Norweigan Veg Tanned leather in a green/black that worked very well as an example of what can be achieved.

Charlie
post #199 of 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus Leather View Post

5) The boots have brass fittings so brass would compliment them. I'd say satin is the less formal of the finishes, but the metal choice is down to your taste really and the rest of the metal you'll wear. The nickel is lovely and is my personal favourite, the stainless is extremely popular and the brass will give you the widest choice of buckles and widths. We have some very nice pewter 1 1/4" West Ends that might be worth a go - the colour of the stainless but the more refined shape and the lustour of the nickel. I always say buy the one that jumps out at you and gives you a gut feeling of I WANT THAT - doesn't matter what the rules say I don't think, buy what you love not what people tell you to have. The same advice goes on both leather type/colour and width. You should love what you own, not just be content with it

Charlie -- for the West End, do you have a picture of the pewter alongside the nickel and stainless? Thanks.
post #200 of 1086
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullswin View Post

Charlie -- for the West End, do you have a picture of the pewter alongside the nickel and stainless? Thanks.

Hi Bull,

I haven't but will try and take some next week. The Pewter is identical in patern to the Brass and Nickel and is cast in the same mould but is a bright white, if that helps in the meantime though.

Charlie
post #201 of 1086

I got my belt in the mail earlier this week and I've worn it three times since then.  It's really gorgeous and I'll definitely be ordering more in the future.  I've included a two pictures, sorry for the crappy quality, it was taken with my best camera, an iPhone 3GS :(  The quality of the leather is fantastic and I have no doubt it will serve me well for years to come.

 

 

IMG_0504.JPG

 

IMG_0505.JPG

 

 

post #202 of 1086
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCleverName View Post

I got my belt in the mail earlier this week and I've worn it three times since then.  It's really gorgeous and I'll definitely be ordering more in the future.  I've included a two pictures, sorry for the crappy quality, it was taken with my best camera, an iPhone 3GS frown.gif  The quality of the leather is fantastic and I have no doubt it will serve me well for years to come.


350x263px-LL-53a135fa_IMG_0504.jpeg

350x263px-LL-e6d59453_IMG_0505.jpeg


Really pleased you like it, thank you for the kind words smile.gif

Charlie
post #203 of 1086
Thread Starter 
As promised but rather belatedly I'm attaching a photo of all the 1 1/4" base metal West Ends we carry so people can see the differences. I should say its really difficult to take a group shot that does justice to the constituent parts so this is more for an overview and I hope people forgive the less than awesome photography!

233

From right to left we have

Solid Brass - Traditional and a really nice casual buckle
Solid Nickel - My own favourite. Highly lustrous yellow white that tends to take its colour from its surroundings but is somewhere between brass and stainless in colour. It looks a little yellower here than a freshly polished buckle would as its next to brass. The tounge is stainless steel for longevity.
Pewter - A range we're developing. Very nice bright white and highly lustrous. Identical in pattern to the brass and nickel. This also has a stainless tounge for the same reasons.
Solid Stainless Steel - Bright white. Lacks some of the lustour of the nickel and pewter and a very slightly heavier pattern but maintenance free, shiny and very popular.

We can satin finish any of these (or any other buckles) for those who aren't shiny buckle people..

Hope this helps!

Charlie
post #204 of 1086
Thread Starter 
Hi All,

I know some of you have been waiting for an 1 1/2" version of our Stainless Steel West End buckle - after much nagging of the foundry we have now get them which is great news as the 1 1/4 is one of our most popular buckles. We've been working hard plugging some of the gaps in our buckle range and this is a big one plugged - my apologies to those who've had to wait.

Quick photo - this is actually the 1 1/4" version, the 1 1/2" are so new in they haven't been photographed yet but they are identical in shape and finish (polished or satin)

233

The buckle is mostly used for our West End belt, but we also use them on our Bakers and Lined and Raised ranges

Charlie
post #205 of 1086
Thread Starter 
Hi All,

I haven't posted any of our watch strap development work for a little while so i thought I'd share a photo or two of prototype Oak Brown watch strap made yesterday. This is made using hand stained oak bark tanned leather from Bakers of Colyton. It has a lovely grain pattern from the tanning process which is great in a belt but really special in something like a watch strap thats much more visible - the texture really catches your eye while its being worn. I'm a big fan of the hand colouring process Bakers use for this colour, every butt of leather and every strap that comes from it is unique because of the variation in tones and marking - lovely, proper artisan made leather. One or two wrinkles to work out but I think we'll make this into a formal product very shortly

Anyway, some photos on my plebeian but faithful strap testing Victorianox..

With my own 1 1/2" Oak Brown belt

233

Strap showing the grain pattern

249

Keepers

233

Comments as always welcome!

Charlie
post #206 of 1086
Thread Starter 
More watch straps! This one is in Bakers Australian Nut, the same leather we used for the SF limited edition run last year. It makes a really nice, soft comfortable and flexible strap and is fully lined and hand stitched. We've done a lot of work on the mechanics of the design and we've got bot this and the Oak Brown down to about 3 - 3 1/2 mm thick which is spot on for a medium weight strap. We haven't got them on the website yet but they will be up here shortly.

Couple of photos - I think out would go beautifully with any of the Bakers Australian Nut belts..

233

233

Charlie
post #207 of 1086
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus Leather View Post

More watch straps! This one is in Bakers Australian Nut, the same leather we used for the SF limited edition run last year. It makes a really nice, soft comfortable and flexible strap and is fully lined and hand stitched. We've done a lot of work on the mechanics of the design and we've got bot this and the Oak Brown down to about 3 - 3 1/2 mm thick which is spot on for a medium weight strap. We haven't got them on the website yet but they will be up here shortly.
Couple of photos - I think out would go beautifully with any of the Bakers Australian Nut belts..
233
233
Charlie

Just an update to say all three styles of watch strap are live on the website now, their home page is here Bridle Leather Watch Straps

Remember the coupon StyleForum10% will get you 10% discount at checkout and the website will automatically deduct the 20% VAT for non EU people!

Charlie
post #208 of 1086
Wow, amazing straps! Good to have a place if one need ANYTHING made of leather.
post #209 of 1086
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian B View Post

Wow, amazing straps! Good to have a place if one need ANYTHING made of leather.

We haven't got quite as far as that yet but we keep working on it smile.gif

Glad you like the straps,

Charlie
post #210 of 1086
Thread Starter 
Hi All,

I thought I'd share some customer photos we've just received. This a black bridle leather strap with contrast white thread attached to the customers Chopard. The photos where very ably taken by Stefan L, the owner of the watch who is a better photographer than I am!

262

262

262

262

Charlie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread