or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it? - Page 61

post #901 of 933

Congrats on your chair. I'm loving mine! Writing this message from it now.

 

Love to see some pics and initial impressions once you have it unboxed.

post #902 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernalonga View Post

One week later:



I'll have to wait for my wife to come back from work and help me assemble and review this, but so far I'm happy with the matching code as everyone else who got their reproduction from Yadea (PV021-1-D). IFN did an outstanding job in delivering this before I even got the shipping confirmation from their warehouse. The chair was CAD$1396 with free shipping for anyone interested.

Interesting picture that. The Original has the measurements 84X84X85-91. What does it matter if you are a few centimeters short when comparing sizes.
post #903 of 933

The website actually indicates a different measure for same chair (Dimensions(cm): 82(L)*87.5(W)*83.5(H)), so I'm not sure how useful the comparisons are.

 

Bottom line is that the chair appears to be a near exact replica of the current HM version. if both chairs were side by side in a dark room, and you sat in both, you would not be able to tell which one you were sitting in. They are exactly the same feel. Turn the lights on and you will still not be able to tell which is which without looking under the seat shell for the HM logo.

post #904 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestaviascott View Post

The website actually indicates a different measure for same chair (Dimensions(cm): 82(L)*87.5(W)*83.5(H)), so I'm not sure how useful the comparisons are.

Bottom line is that the chair appears to be a near exact replica of the current HM version. if both chairs were side by side in a dark room, and you sat in both, you would not be able to tell which one you were sitting in. They are exactly the same feel. Turn the lights on and you will still not be able to tell which is which without looking under the seat shell for the HM logo.

Yes because that website is also peddling a now conform fake. There are people who wouldn´t recognize their own partners in a dark room. Once again I am even more convinced that you have a vested interest in these fakes.
post #905 of 933

I became vested in it when I purchased it sight unseen. I'm now an advocate for it based on actual experience.

post #906 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestaviascott View Post

I became vested in it when I purchased it sight unseen. I'm now an advocate for it based on actual experience.

Maybe I´m just skeptical but my gut feeling says I´m right. Anyway I did like the pictures of your living room area. Simplicity is always nice and a lack of clutter is good.
post #907 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistoffat View Post
I did like the pictures of your living room area. Simplicity is always nice and a lack of clutter is good.

 

Glad we can find something we agree on :) We recently purchased and remodeled a 1961 MCM home. The original design of the living areas was pretty chopped up and compartmentalized around the central area. We dropped several walls and installed beams in the attic to support a more open plan. We also vaulted half the ceiling over the kitchen area. FWIW, here's a few before/after pics of the space...

 

 

 

 

 



Edited by vestaviascott - 6/17/16 at 7:41am
post #908 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestaviascott View Post

Glad we can find something we agree on smile.gif We recently purchased and remodeled a 1961 MCM home. The original design of the living areas was pretty chopped up and compartmentalized around the central area. We dropped several walls and installed beams in the attic to support a more open plan. We also vaulted half the ceiling over the kitchen area. FWIW, here's a few before/after pics of the space...












Nice, the only thing that I don´t like is the major contrast between the wood on the floor and the wood in the stairwell going down stairs. You were probably tring to match it to the lighter wood down stairs. Id have stained the wood dark on top with lighter as it gets near the bottom like a spectrum. Thats just me though.
post #909 of 933

As a larger human (6'4", 190) I actually prefer the over-size nature and titling mechanism of the Plycraft knockoffs to the Eames themselves.

 

I can do through the trouble of buying a vintage plycraft and reupholster it etc but it would cost about $2,000 to do that locally. 

 

Are there any companies selling plycraft knockoffs? (Knockoffs of knockoffs haha)

post #910 of 933
Why not just find a different chair at that point? There are plenty of comfortable chairs that aren't trying to be an Eames, but failing at it.


Plycrafts to me look like someone tried to copy the Eames but didn't understand what made the design work in the first place. It's some weird Frankenstein chair. The proportions don't end up working, and the effect is jarring. Doubly so for people who are expecting the traditional Eames proportions.
post #911 of 933
This thread and the State Farm thread is most posted in by folks with less than 20 posts. Sort of interesting.
post #912 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Why not just find a different chair at that point? There are plenty of comfortable chairs that aren't trying to be an Eames, but failing at it.

Then people wouldn't know what you have and you would have to enjoy it for yourself, which is a drag.
post #913 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

This thread and the State Farm thread is most posted in by folks with less than 20 posts. Sort of interesting.

This is one of the first results on Google for Eames knock-offs, so it kind of makes sense. No doubt many of them are shills (a couple of these companies are notorious for planting forum posts), but there are a lot of real people who are interested in knockoffs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

Then people wouldn't know what you have and you would have to enjoy it for yourself, which is a drag.
Plycrafts are pretty obviously not Eames though, at least for anyone who is going to recognize an Eames.


I guess some people might just like the Plycraft on its own merits, but it's hard to figure there isn't something better if you're not beholden to pretending to have an Eames.
post #914 of 933

knock-off furniture for knock-off humans. i'm not knocking anybody tho.

post #915 of 933
I was given an Eames lounge chair reproduction for my office recently as a gift. This "ultra premium" model came from urbanfurnishing.net. It's nice enough to look at, but it's really uncomfortable. The back is too short and doesn't fully support my head and neck (and I'm only 5' 11"), the leather is so-so, and the padding is stiff. It's not relaxing at all to sit in.

It would cost nearly $400 to return (shipping plus restocking fee) a $1000 chair, so it's not worth the effort. It's awfully nice for piling mail on, however. ;-)
Edited by TMMKC - 8/23/16 at 7:14pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?