or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it? - Page 5

post #61 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetybug View Post

I have been reading this thread since day one and I must say that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do support local designers and I will definitely support their products if it is affordable to me. Some guys/gals that make $36,000 a year may not have the same spending ability as others who earn significantly more. I for one will NOT buy a FAKE Rolex even though the name "Rolex" is printed on the watch. That is a counterfeit. On the other hand, if SEIKO created a watch similar to a ROLEX, would it be said that I am buying a counterfeit/knock-off?? Absolutely not.

A quick history lesson about Honda and Toyota. They began with copying designs of other well made American cars. At this point in time, it can be said that their cars surpass the quality of their US competitors.

Personally, I own a couple pieces of licensed copies, but for some items, i.e. the Eames Plywood Chair and the Eames Plastic Molded Chair, I just refuse to pay $800 or $300 respectively. Recently, I bought an Eames Lounge Chair from MCMclassics because my client was not interested to spend hundreds of dollars for a chair. I bought one to test it out and it's an almost exact replica. The base price compares to Rove, but I also got a 5% designer discount. My client is happy as hell and he ended up getting two. Of course, I am happy whenever my client is happy. The point is, wherever a replica is produced, it has to be so close to the original. Reproducers certainly have come a long way to producing nearly exact replicas of MCM furniture.

Brittany, please don't feel bad about buying the chair just because it is a reproduction, I have done the same and I am sure a lot of people out there would have done the same as well. Can you please let me know if Rove's version has the rubber shock mounts under the arms such as this http://www.instructables.com/id/Eames-Lounge-Chair-rubber-shock-mount-repair/

Appreciate your help.
Thank you!!! Whew, I was beginning to feel like I was crazy or something! Haha! I will most definitely let you know if it has the shock mounts. The rep I talked to said that yes, they have the rubber shock mounts and also the zippered leather but we'll see. I don't trust anything until I have it in my house and am able to go over it with a fine toothed comb. PS: They gave me a huge discount for delayed shipping. I paid $1261 total and that was for shipping and everything. Buuuuuuut I did have to wait 2 months and still haven't gotten a shipment confirmation email. :/ So, I will let you know what happens. They said I should receive it before May 9th.
post #62 of 736
Also, the rep said that it is so close to the original that it looks almost exactly the same side by side. The same quality materials are used and the leather is directly from Italy, supposedly. They promise a lot so I hope it's all legit.
post #63 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

The chair and ottoman together cost $578 in 1956. I regularly see originals selling for $2500-$3500 today.

Where does the loss of $2000 over 20 years occur?

Compare to the auction prices of plycraft knockoffs of the chair for a much more accurate comparison of past data.
Just throwing this out there, I will bet you that in 10 years, everyone is going to find a new style to be obsessed over and MCM style will be burnt out. So I doubt the original will still fetch that much cash in the future.
But what do I know.
post #64 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevron View Post

If it were the case that the fake were as enjoyable as the real Eames, your logic is faulty as the real chair is going to lose 1-2k of value in 20 years while the fake will lose 500-800. And you'd have had a larger opportunity cost for the duration with the HM Eames.

I doubt it's as enjoyable, though.

As Skinny has mentioned. Over time the Original Eames have proven themselves to be able to counteract somewhat the effect of inflation.
To be honest the "Fake buying" mentality could be applied to everything from watches to cars. You get what you pay for and as you say yourself
it won´t be as enjoyable. You can sit in any chair but the Eames lounge chair is all about enjoyment.. Yes its difficult putting a price on something
as intangible as enjoyment but the only enjoyment that comes from having a fake it tricking people who think it may be real.
No man wants to be informed that this woman is faking it nod[1].gif
post #65 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Paris View Post


Just throwing this out there, I will bet you that in 10 years, everyone is going to find a new style to be obsessed over and MCM style will be burnt out. So I doubt the original will still fetch that much cash in the future.
But what do I know.

I will gladly put 100$ down on that wont happen.
post #66 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetybug View Post

I for one will NOT buy a FAKE Rolex even though the name "Rolex" is printed on the watch. That is a counterfeit. On the other hand, if SEIKO created a watch similar to a ROLEX, would it be said that I am buying a counterfeit/knock-off?? Absolutely not.

A quick history lesson about Honda and Toyota. They began with copying designs of other well made American cars. At this point in time, it can be said that their cars surpass the quality of their US competitors.
Well said! So true, who would voluntarily buy a counterfeit Rolex? Unless they thought it was real. And the Rove Concepts chair I just bought doesn't have a fake Eames sticker on the underside of the chair. They even state that they have no affiliation to Herman Miller. And their upgraded chair may very well be just as good quality as the original. So again, I feel great about my decision and will also add that the people at Rove are very easy going and have answered every OCD question I have and let me tell you, I'm pretty sure I have contacted them more than I should. Very good customer service. I just contacted Art about an update and he was more than willing to track down that info. So if everything goes well, I will be getting the chair sometime next week.
post #67 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

I will gladly put 100$ down on that wont happen.
I would totally put $100 down on that. Guess I'll see u in ten years. Lol
post #68 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

I will gladly put 100$ down on that wont happen.
And I'm totally gonna love MCM style in 10 years, just saying. I will love it for the rest of my life here on earth. But the world will find other fads to replace it, guaranteed. It's how the world works.
post #69 of 736
The most amazing part of this discussion IMO, is that you have not actually received the thing yet. However, you are still raving about how great it is.
post #70 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

The most amazing part of this discussion IMO, is that you have not actually received the thing yet. However, you are still raving about how great it is.
If you read some of my comments, you would realize that I have said a few times that I hope it's all legit and that they promise a lot, we'll see.
Maybe I'm just not an antagonist like you. smile.gif
post #71 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

The most amazing part of this discussion IMO, is that you have not actually received the thing yet. However, you are still raving about how great it is.

Thats because he´s a spammer touting the knockoffs of this company. They try to pull the wool over customers eyes with lingo like "We wish to demonstrate the difference we believe to exist between 'knock-off' and 'reproduction' furniture. A 'knock-off' copy is a version intended to imitate appearance while making do with as little input as possible in terms of material source, labor skills, and even the design process itself."

The reality however looks like this:-
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2012/11/herman_miller_sues_canadian_co.html
post #72 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistoffat View Post

Thats because he´s a spammer touting the knockoffs of this company. They try to pull the wool over customers eyes with lingo like "We wish to demonstrate the difference we believe to exist between 'knock-off' and 'reproduction' furniture. A 'knock-off' copy is a version intended to imitate appearance while making do with as little input as possible in terms of material source, labor skills, and even the design process itself."

The reality however looks like this:-
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2012/11/herman_miller_sues_canadian_co.html
Bahahahahahaha!!!!! That's a new one. Wow. I'm actually a girl and I work at Ace Hardware. Good god. Thanks for schooling me on who I am though, since you know everything. You guys seriously need to get a life and open your minds a little. Peel your bodies out of those computer chairs and get some vitamin D.
post #73 of 736
PS if I ever find someone asking a question on here again, I'll refrain from trying to help them out. Don't want to get y'all's panties in a bunch. And with your logic, you work for Herman Miller. Geez
post #74 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Paris View Post

Bahahahahahaha!!!!! That's a new one. Wow. I'm actually a girl and I work at Ace Hardware. Good god. Thanks for schooling me on who I am though, since you know everything. You guys seriously need to get a life and open your minds a little. Peel your bodies out of those computer chairs and get some vitamin D.

LOL, I ate at Ralph Lauren with Ray Griffith recently. I must send him a link to this to let him see what his employees get up to nod[1].gif
post #75 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Paris View Post

And I'm totally gonna love MCM style in 10 years, just saying. I will love it for the rest of my life here on earth. But the world will find other fads to replace it, guaranteed. It's how the world works.

MCM is not a fad, as fads are trends not strong enough to become trends and as MCM has been in style since the 60's, we are far far beyond the fad stage.


I work in Interior design, so I should know. wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?