or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Double monk straps with a suit?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Double monk straps with a suit? - Page 4

post #46 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddieriley View Post


Not a fan of the stitching.

+1
post #47 of 70
bout the only double doesn't look clunky to me is the Chapel.
post #48 of 70
EG Westminster with suit
1108172.jpg
1108171.jpg

JL2010 St Crepins with suit last week
110801SF158.jpg

Or just go here http://mostexerent.tumblr.com/tagged/DubMunks
post #49 of 70
Thread Starter 
I saw your blog PG, those double monks you have are flawless.

It's making me give a second thought to the PS monks. I actually didnt even try them on, I'll probably go there today and give it a second shot.
Edited by CharlesAlexander - 8/18/11 at 6:57am
post #50 of 70
500
post #51 of 70
Double monk shoes are classic, but for so many people who don't know the origin, they looks just trendy, I think.
So, I personally prefer a round toe or not pointy DB monk shoes with classic-fit suits.
Even Lowndess looks too pointy with my slim Boglioli suit.

800
800
post #52 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by molayo View Post

Double monk shoes are classic, but for so many people who don't know the origin, they looks just trendy, I think.

what's the origin? i wanna know.
post #53 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post


what's the origin? i wanna know.

What do you exactly want to know?
post #54 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander View Post

I saw your blog PG, those double monks you have are flawless.

It's making me give a second thought to the PS monks. I actually didnt even try them on, I'll probably go there today and give it a second shot.

I would trust your initial impression. Phat Guido's shoes all look great, but they have a different shape than the Paul Stuart shoes. If you want the PG look then seek out those same shoes or a similar shape and don't settle for a more narrow toe.
post #55 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by molayo View Post


What do you exactly want to know?

why are they classic and where do they come from(origin)?
post #56 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post


why are they classic and where do they come from(origin)?

I'm kind of curious myself.
post #57 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post


why are they classic and where do they come from(origin)?


The Original comes from John Lobb (a long time before there were two firms). I believe, the original design is from the 1920s and was named after William Lobb (son of the founder) who was the MD at the time.

I don't know if the design with or without toe cap, is the older of the two.

pMS28.JPG

pSS7174.JPG.

Here is a picture (might be the same sample shoe) from a late 60s/early 70s JL catalogue.

1128.jpg
post #58 of 70
Nice post, thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post


why are they classic and where do they come from(origin)?


The Original comes from John Lobb (a long time before there were two firms). I believe, the original design is from the 1920s and was named after William Lobb (son of the founder) who was the MD at the time.

I don't know if the design with or without toe cap, is the older of the two.

pMS28.JPG

pSS7174.JPG.

Here is a picture (might be the same sample shoe) from a late 60s/early 70s JL catalogue.

1128.jpg
post #59 of 70
The William is my favorite Lobb
post #60 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post


why are they classic and where do they come from(origin)?

I don't believe you don't know what I know, but anyway, here's what I know.
A monk shoe was of course a shoe worn by monks in the Alps around the 15th century.
In the 19th century, Lobb made monk shoes for Prince Edward who had wide feet.
Later in 1945, John Lobb started to produce double monk shoes 'William.'

Unlike blutcher(derby) which was designed by Prussian general Blutcher and widely used for outdoor activities such as hunting,
monk shoes were worn with suits. Hence, considered more formal than derby shoes.

Correct me if there are incorrect ones.
Edited by molayo - 8/18/11 at 7:43pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Double monk straps with a suit?