or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Double monk straps with a suit?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Double monk straps with a suit?

post #1 of 70
Thread Starter 
How do double monk straps look with a suit? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on these from Paul Stuart:

500




Please note: I am going to buy them and wear them with suits anyway
post #2 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander View Post

Please note: I am going to buy them and wear them with suits anyway

laugh.gif
I wear my double monks with heavier cloth. Aesthetically I think they are a bit too clunky for use with lightweight suits - but that's just my preference.
post #3 of 70
Hey Foo, looks great. Wouldn't hesitate doing so. Some of the more conservative folks will probably tell you how bad it looks, but I think it is generally SF approved, if it all matters.
post #4 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander View Post

How do double monk straps look with a suit? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on these from Paul Stuart:

500




Please note: I am going to buy them and wear them with suits anyway

I, and the people that compliment me on mine when worn with a suit ,think they look awesome.

I like the advice given here, and I've learned a shit load, about dressing better (correctly), but there are exceptions to every rule. Including that one.
post #5 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon View Post


laugh.gif
I wear my double monks with heavier cloth. Aesthetically I think they are a bit too clunky for use with lightweight suits - but that's just my preference.

That's a fairly sleek last and with the simple cap toe, I think it would be fine with light weight fabric. In fact, I think it may look a bit off with heavier flannel or so.
post #6 of 70
I plan on buying a pair of chocolate suede dub monks to wear with navy pinstripe and chalk stripe suits. Saw a pair on a dude in Rome a month ago with a navy suit and they looked pretty effing awesome. I think they are a cool way to put a spin on the suits that everyone else around you is wearing (as if the fit, construction, coordination with tie and PS, and materials of an SF member's suit wasn't enough). biggrin.gif
post #7 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddieriley View Post

Hey Foo, looks great. Wouldn't hesitate doing so. Some of the more conservative folks will probably tell you how bad it looks, but I think it is generally SF approved, if it all matters.

I am glad you guys agree. That way if anybody says anything I can go "It's SF approved, bitch!" Nothing else matters.
post #8 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander View Post


I am glad you guys agree. That way if anybody says anything I can go "It's SF approved, bitch!" Nothing else matters.

If someone gives you shit just say: "Fucking grazie, bro."
post #9 of 70
It's obviously not CBD, but for a night on the town do whatever you want.

As a side note, I give that toe shape another 5 years, tops.
post #10 of 70
I've worn double monks with suits for many years including lightweight and heavier cloth. I also wear them with jeans. Double monks are classic but are enjoying a recent rise in popularity. I think the Paul Stuart ones will look smart and also retain a certain classic style even after the fashionable trend fades. The two shoes where wI get the most compliments are brown suede cap toes and brown or black double monks. I like that I can wear them with anything. Get them!
post #11 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofcoffee View Post

I I give that toe shape another 5 years, tops.

I think toe shape, within reason is a personal thing. If you are a heavy, stocky guy a fuller, rounded toe seems to work best. If you are trim a narrower toe seems right. However it must be in harmony with the scale and cut of the rest of your clothing. If you suddenly want to wear full cut pants, a larger, rounder toe will look better.
post #12 of 70
I do it all the time.
post #13 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofcoffee View Post

As a side note, I give that toe shape another 5 years, tops.

This reminds me of a 2002 post I saw when I first started creeping on SF saying that dub monks were played out and soon to exit the style/iGent realm.

As pocketsquare comments, as long as things stay in proportion to flatter one's figure and cut of clothing, I don't think it's possible to say when something will no longer be seen as stylish. Especially when it is a classic like dub monks.
post #14 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post


I think toe shape, within reason is a personal thing. If you are a heavy, stocky guy a fuller, rounded toe seems to work best. If you are trim a narrower toe seems right. However it must be in harmony with the scale and cut of the rest of your clothing. If you suddenly want to wear full cut pants, a larger, rounder toe will look better.

I absolutely agree that that toe shape will be capable of objectively agreeing with certain body types regardless of time period; I just don't think it'll be fashionable, and I think it'll be sufficiently played out that people won't want to wear it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post


This reminds me of a 2002 post I saw when I first started creeping on SF saying that dub monks were played out and soon to exit the style/iGent realm.

As pocketsquare comments, as long as things stay in proportion to flatter one's figure and cut of clothing, I don't think it's possible to say when something will no longer be seen as stylish. Especially when it is a classic like dub monks.

It certainly is difficult to forecast trends, especially in higher-end men's clothing. I'm certainly no arbiter elegantium, and naturally it's all a matter of opinion. But I suspect that this kind of very thin, near-chisel, extreme-Anthony Cleverley-esque thing won't have a long shelf life.
post #15 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander View Post


Please note: I am going to buy them and wear them with suits anyway

Hahaha. That's brilliant.

As per your question though, they look good with a nicely cut suit. Enjoy them!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Double monk straps with a suit?