Hello - My wedding is coming up, and I don't know if I should get a skinny black wool tie / or a skinny black silk tie. My tux has regular lapels, and I will be wearing my own white shirt. I also plan on wearing a silver tie clip. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- Black Suit, Black Shirt, Black Tie Last post on 12/14/09 at 1:15pm in Classic Menswear
- What's the Worst Getup You've Been Forced to Wear as a Groomsman? Last post on 8/11/11 at 8:17pm in Classic Menswear
- Look at me! Last post on 5/28/11 at 3:03am in Classic Menswear
- Girls in Guys Garb Last post on 1/20/15 at 9:14am in Classic Menswear
- Striped Tie with Striped Shirt? Last post on 9/20/13 at 2:19am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What to Wear: The Black Tie WeddingLast edited: 4/26/16
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?Last edited: 3/18/16
- Should I wear a Tuxedo if my Groomsmen are wearing navy business...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where should the points on my shirt collar lie in relation to my...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Tuxedo Tiepost #2 of 198/8/11 at 7:41pmIf the lapels aren't faced, it's not a tuxedo, it's a black suit. And if you don't want to look like a clown, you wear a bowtie with a tuxedo.
If you want a tuxedo, wear a tuxedo. Shiny lapels. Self tie bow tie. Classic cut that you won't hate yourself for in 20 years. If you want to wear a suit, wear a suit. Nice wool, nicely made, tailored to fit you. White shirt, no skinny ties, and not black. Patterned silver would be a nice choice, and a 3" width is slim, but still within the range of classic- back to the whole not hating yourself in 20 years bit.
Your wedding is not a time to be stupidly trendy. Trendy's fun on a day to day basis, but those wedding photos are (hopefully) permanent.
If you don't want to look like this to your kids, stay away from the trendy stuff.post #3 of 198/8/11 at 7:46pmpost #4 of 198/8/11 at 8:09pmThread Starterpost #5 of 198/8/11 at 8:41pmQuote:
One wears a black bow tie with a tuxedo, preferably made of the same silk grosgain of the tuxedo's facings. One does not wear a necktie with a tuxedo.post #6 of 198/8/11 at 10:24pmpost #7 of 198/8/11 at 11:04pmpost #8 of 198/9/11 at 12:55ampost #9 of 198/9/11 at 12:58ampost #10 of 198/10/11 at 5:27ampost #11 of 198/10/11 at 6:08ampost #12 of 198/10/11 at 8:16ampost #13 of 198/10/11 at 8:17ampost #14 of 198/10/11 at 8:23ampost #15 of 198/10/11 at 8:24amQuote:
+1 but also must mention that you should get a real bow tie, not pre-tied.
I'm sure you (OP) think that a skinny tie will look really cool with your tux, but you will really just look like a tool. This is one of the most important days of your life - do it right.
- What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
Currently, there are 1274 Active Users (263 Members and 1011 Guests)
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 3 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 6 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 6 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 10 minutes ago
- › RLPL shearling coat 80% off retail. 11 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Beckman 9011 7D US Black Cherry 11 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 14 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding