Hello - My wedding is coming up, and I don't know if I should get a skinny black wool tie / or a skinny black silk tie. My tux has regular lapels, and I will be wearing my own white shirt. I also plan on wearing a silver tie clip. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- Black Suit, Black Shirt, Black Tie Last post on 12/14/09 at 1:15pm in Classic Menswear
- What's the Worst Getup You've Been Forced to Wear as a Groomsman? Last post on 8/11/11 at 8:17pm in Classic Menswear
- Look at me! Last post on 5/28/11 at 3:03am in Classic Menswear
- Girls in Guys Garb Last post on 1/20/15 at 9:14am in Classic Menswear
- Striped Tie with Striped Shirt? Last post on 9/20/13 at 2:19am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Tuxedo Do I Need For A Black Tie Event?Last edited: 10/12/12
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- the-basics-of-wedding-attireLast edited: 9/16/11
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 198/8/11 at 7:41pmIf the lapels aren't faced, it's not a tuxedo, it's a black suit. And if you don't want to look like a clown, you wear a bowtie with a tuxedo.
If you want a tuxedo, wear a tuxedo. Shiny lapels. Self tie bow tie. Classic cut that you won't hate yourself for in 20 years. If you want to wear a suit, wear a suit. Nice wool, nicely made, tailored to fit you. White shirt, no skinny ties, and not black. Patterned silver would be a nice choice, and a 3" width is slim, but still within the range of classic- back to the whole not hating yourself in 20 years bit.
Your wedding is not a time to be stupidly trendy. Trendy's fun on a day to day basis, but those wedding photos are (hopefully) permanent.
If you don't want to look like this to your kids, stay away from the trendy stuff.post #3 of 198/8/11 at 7:46pmpost #4 of 198/8/11 at 8:09pmThread Starterpost #5 of 198/8/11 at 8:41pmQuote:
One wears a black bow tie with a tuxedo, preferably made of the same silk grosgain of the tuxedo's facings. One does not wear a necktie with a tuxedo.post #6 of 198/8/11 at 10:24pmpost #7 of 198/8/11 at 11:04pmpost #8 of 198/9/11 at 12:55ampost #9 of 198/9/11 at 12:58ampost #10 of 198/10/11 at 5:27ampost #11 of 198/10/11 at 6:08ampost #12 of 198/10/11 at 8:16ampost #13 of 198/10/11 at 8:17ampost #14 of 198/10/11 at 8:23ampost #15 of 198/10/11 at 8:24amQuote:
+1 but also must mention that you should get a real bow tie, not pre-tied.
I'm sure you (OP) think that a skinny tie will look really cool with your tux, but you will really just look like a tool. This is one of the most important days of your life - do it right.
- Tuxedo Tie
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Tuxedo Do I Need For A Black Tie Event?
Currently, there are 1767 Active Users (432 Members and 1335 Guests)
- › ***Story Et Fall Thread*** 54 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › XS and Small Shirting USA Made (Epaulet, NE Shirt Co, Gitman Vintage) 4 minutes ago
- › Double Breasted Style. 4 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 5 minutes ago
- › ***....Falcon Garments - Official Affiliate Thread....*** MTM/MTO... 6 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 7 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 12 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015