Hello - My wedding is coming up, and I don't know if I should get a skinny black wool tie / or a skinny black silk tie. My tux has regular lapels, and I will be wearing my own white shirt. I also plan on wearing a silver tie clip. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- Black Suit, Black Shirt, Black Tie Last post on 12/14/09 at 1:15pm in Classic Menswear
- What's the Worst Getup You've Been Forced to Wear as a Groomsman? Last post on 8/11/11 at 8:17pm in Classic Menswear
- Look at me! Last post on 5/28/11 at 3:03am in Classic Menswear
- Girls in Guys Garb Last post on 1/20/15 at 9:14am in Classic Menswear
- Striped Tie with Striped Shirt? Last post on 9/20/13 at 2:19am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Tuxedo Do I Need For A Black Tie Event?Last edited: 10/12/12
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- the-basics-of-wedding-attireLast edited: 9/16/11
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 198/8/11 at 7:41pmIf the lapels aren't faced, it's not a tuxedo, it's a black suit. And if you don't want to look like a clown, you wear a bowtie with a tuxedo.
If you want a tuxedo, wear a tuxedo. Shiny lapels. Self tie bow tie. Classic cut that you won't hate yourself for in 20 years. If you want to wear a suit, wear a suit. Nice wool, nicely made, tailored to fit you. White shirt, no skinny ties, and not black. Patterned silver would be a nice choice, and a 3" width is slim, but still within the range of classic- back to the whole not hating yourself in 20 years bit.
Your wedding is not a time to be stupidly trendy. Trendy's fun on a day to day basis, but those wedding photos are (hopefully) permanent.
If you don't want to look like this to your kids, stay away from the trendy stuff.post #3 of 198/8/11 at 7:46pmpost #4 of 198/8/11 at 8:09pmThread Starterpost #5 of 198/8/11 at 8:41pmQuote:
One wears a black bow tie with a tuxedo, preferably made of the same silk grosgain of the tuxedo's facings. One does not wear a necktie with a tuxedo.post #6 of 198/8/11 at 10:24pmpost #7 of 198/8/11 at 11:04pmpost #8 of 198/9/11 at 12:55ampost #9 of 198/9/11 at 12:58ampost #10 of 198/10/11 at 5:27ampost #11 of 198/10/11 at 6:08ampost #12 of 198/10/11 at 8:16ampost #13 of 198/10/11 at 8:17ampost #14 of 198/10/11 at 8:23ampost #15 of 198/10/11 at 8:24amQuote:
+1 but also must mention that you should get a real bow tie, not pre-tied.
I'm sure you (OP) think that a skinny tie will look really cool with your tux, but you will really just look like a tool. This is one of the most important days of your life - do it right.
- Tuxedo Tie
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Tuxedo Do I Need For A Black Tie Event?
Currently, there are 1191 Active Users (220 Members and 971 Guests)
- › u k-u s a-u a e-VaShIkArAn ((+91+9799005597)) bLAck MAgiC... 12 seconds ago
- › (( girl ))+919772193202 loVe MarriagE ProbleM in Agra 42 seconds ago
- › u k-u s a-u a e-VaShIkArAn ((+91+9799005597)) bLAck MAgiC... 2 minutes ago
- › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions 2 minutes ago
- › (( sister ))+919772193202 loVe MarriagE ProbleM in Ghaziabad 3 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 3 minutes ago
- › u k-u s a-u a e-VaShIkArAn ((+91+9799005597)) bLAck MAgiC... 3 minutes ago
- › Introduce yourself. 4 minutes ago
- › u k-u s a-u a e-VaShIkArAn ((+91+9799005597)) bLAck MAgiC... 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...
- › Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?
- › Fok’s Pitti Pick: Wear Coat, Get Blogged
- › What it Means to be Made in Italy
- › How to Smell Fabulous in Florence (and Beyond)
- › The Current State of Americana
- › The Styleforum Brief: February 2015
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...