Hello - My wedding is coming up, and I don't know if I should get a skinny black wool tie / or a skinny black silk tie. My tux has regular lapels, and I will be wearing my own white shirt. I also plan on wearing a silver tie clip. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- Black Suit, Black Shirt, Black Tie Last post on 12/14/09 at 1:15pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 2:08 pm in Classic Menswear
- What's the Worst Getup You've Been Forced to Wear as a Groomsman? Last post on 8/11/11 at 8:17pm in Classic Menswear
- Look at me! Last post on 5/28/11 at 3:03am in Classic Menswear
- Girls in Guys Garb Last post on 1/20/15 at 9:14am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Tuxedo Do I Need For A Black Tie Event?Last edited: 10/12/12
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- the-basics-of-wedding-attireLast edited: 9/16/11
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 198/8/11 at 7:41pmIf the lapels aren't faced, it's not a tuxedo, it's a black suit. And if you don't want to look like a clown, you wear a bowtie with a tuxedo.
If you want a tuxedo, wear a tuxedo. Shiny lapels. Self tie bow tie. Classic cut that you won't hate yourself for in 20 years. If you want to wear a suit, wear a suit. Nice wool, nicely made, tailored to fit you. White shirt, no skinny ties, and not black. Patterned silver would be a nice choice, and a 3" width is slim, but still within the range of classic- back to the whole not hating yourself in 20 years bit.
Your wedding is not a time to be stupidly trendy. Trendy's fun on a day to day basis, but those wedding photos are (hopefully) permanent.
If you don't want to look like this to your kids, stay away from the trendy stuff.post #3 of 198/8/11 at 7:46pmpost #4 of 198/8/11 at 8:09pmThread Starterpost #5 of 198/8/11 at 8:41pmQuote:
One wears a black bow tie with a tuxedo, preferably made of the same silk grosgain of the tuxedo's facings. One does not wear a necktie with a tuxedo.post #6 of 198/8/11 at 10:24pmpost #7 of 198/8/11 at 11:04pmpost #8 of 198/9/11 at 12:55ampost #9 of 198/9/11 at 12:58ampost #10 of 198/10/11 at 5:27ampost #11 of 198/10/11 at 6:08ampost #12 of 198/10/11 at 8:16ampost #13 of 198/10/11 at 8:17ampost #14 of 198/10/11 at 8:23ampost #15 of 198/10/11 at 8:24amQuote:
+1 but also must mention that you should get a real bow tie, not pre-tied.
I'm sure you (OP) think that a skinny tie will look really cool with your tux, but you will really just look like a tool. This is one of the most important days of your life - do it right.
- Tuxedo Tie
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Tuxedo Do I Need For A Black Tie Event?
Currently, there are 1748 Active Users (447 Members and 1301 Guests)
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 21 seconds ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 1 minute ago
- › Exquisite Trimmings - Based in London, UK - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › Things you just don't get 2 minutes ago
- › Post your photography skills! (self-gloss) 7 minutes ago
- › Bourbon. 7 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 7 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...