or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Members in China help me out...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Members in China help me out...

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
How do I go on sites like facebook in China? I'm here for 3 weeks...
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmywinks View Post

How do I go on sites like facebook in China? I'm here for 3 weeks...

Get a VPN. It's like a private network sourced from abroad. I don't know if that's a short term remedy though. Personally, I am on a proxy mailing list and I get updated proxy servers every morning which is enough for me to glance at my facebook notifications through the easily loaded m.facebook.com, even though it can't load much more beyond the mobile site.
post #3 of 14
www.schoolisbeat.com

This will get you onto a mobile version of FB.

www.vtunnel.com

This will get you onto youtube, etc.

Let me know if your travels bring you to Shanghai and you need some pointers.
post #4 of 14
you guys can't get on facebook? Note to self: never go to China ffffuuuu.gif
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker View Post


Get a VPN. It's like a private network sourced from abroad. I don't know if that's a short term remedy though. Personally, I am on a proxy mailing list and I get updated proxy servers every morning which is enough for me to glance at my facebook notifications through the easily loaded m.facebook.com, even though it can't load much more beyond the mobile site.

Could I get on a proxy mailing list as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsanford-shanghai View Post

www.schoolisbeat.com

This will get you onto a mobile version of FB.

www.vtunnel.com

This will get you onto youtube, etc.

Let me know if your travels bring you to Shanghai and you need some pointers.

Neither of those links work. I'm in Beijing.
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

you guys can't get on facebook? Note to self: never go to China ffffuuuu.gif

Nope. Pretty much all foreign social networking sites are censored. Hell, I even have trouble signing in to my gmail sometimes and gchat doesn't work for me about 80% of the time. Other instant messengers are fine though. Like they said though, facebook mobile or whatever seems ok.
post #7 of 14
Most blackberries connect through foreign servers, so you should be able to get on to Facebook through your device. If you have one...
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
This internet ban is ridiculous. If you google something questionable your google freezes up.
post #9 of 14

use VPN to bypass the Great China Firewall,

 

http://techpp.com/2009/07/09/top-5-free-vpn-clients/

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmywinks View Post

This internet ban is ridiculous. If you google something questionable your google freezes up.

Your ip has been logged and secret police will probably kick down your door in the middle of the night and drag you off to jail.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmywinks View Post

This internet ban is ridiculous. If you google something questionable your google freezes up.

Haha, it was much worse before they cancelled google.cn and started redirecting to the HK servers. Google didn't really freeze up as much, but the search results it provided were absolutely worthless for anything. Gmail and gchat worked better before though.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmywinks View Post

How do I go on sites like facebook in China? I'm here for 3 weeks...

Sure you can't live without playing Farmville for a few weeks? If you really must have FB undoblock.com will get you the mobile site.
post #13 of 14

I paid for a VPN monthly service to get on FB.  Bringing a whole new level to the word addiction...

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeansmith11 View Post

I paid for a VPN monthly service to get on FB.  Bringing a whole new level to the word addiction...


What VPN are you using? I paid for a month of SwitchVPN before I left for China but now that I'm here it looks like it's blocked in China, can't get on.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Members in China help me out...