or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › New Forum Support  › Constructive ideas on improving the forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Constructive ideas on improving the forum - Page 18

post #256 of 546
Can I create a poll that is anonymous? ie: The users are not displayed alongside each result. I know the old forum software did this. Thanks.
post #257 of 546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe View Post

Okay, this is no longer a question, it is a "constructive idea."

Make it possible to refine B&S searches by category
. I was certain this was supposed to be part of the revamp-B&S deal all along, because everyone went on and on about how it was moving to a more eBay-like model with "improved functionality."
Well, eBay lets you search whatever you want in whatever categories you want with whatever refinements you want, and I still can't search B&S for Hermes or Zegna for shoes/jackets without overdosing on necktie listings I could not be less interested in.
I could have sworn we were also promised the ability to browse/refine listings by size, but I don't see that anywhere either, so consider it another "constructive idea."

We dropped the subcategorize by size concept because there was a backlash against the one listing/one item idea that would have made that work

I hadn't even thought of the the search within categories, but it would certainly make sense. I think that that is a project will be involved enough that will probably have to take a backseat to performance and mobile right now, but it is a good idea, and we'll keep it in mind.

Cheers,

Fok.
post #258 of 546
This is what the B&S archive looks like:

163

But the new B&S looks like this:
163

Both shots are of my full screen, the archive takes up the whole thing while the new one is much smaller. Why not condense the archive?
Edited by NorCal - 11/2/11 at 9:20pm
post #259 of 546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

This is what the B&S archive looks like:
163
But the new B&S looks like this:
163
Both shots are of my full screen, the archive takes up the whole thing while the new one is much smaller. Why not condense the archive?

It's because the archive is a top level listing - think of how MSWord is too smart with its tabs - same deal. I'm trying to fix this... but, not as easy as you'd think.
post #260 of 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

It's because the archive is a top level listing - think of how MSWord is too smart with its tabs - same deal. I'm trying to fix this... but, not as easy as you'd think.

Sorry, but that is all above my pay grade. Thanks for trying to fix it though.
post #261 of 546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

Sorry, but that is all above my pay grade. Thanks for trying to fix it though.

Officially fixed!
post #262 of 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Officially fixed!

Service with a smile here at Styleforvm.
post #263 of 546
Is there any way to customize the look of the home page?

The previous site was addictive because one click (bookmark for new posts, I think it was) and the screen was full of new activity. Forums I did not read were excluded in a preference somewhere.

On the current site, I have to scroll below the fold - every time - to see the recent activity. Above the fold does not change much, if at all, and it takes too much time to load more than the first so many threads. Meanwhile everything abve the fold pretty much doesn't change. To get the same amount of stimulating new information, I need to wait much longer and click and scroll a whole lot more.

Really, I don't need to see a summary of my year-old private messages, or that picture of jefferyd (though i am a Big Fan) every time I hit the home page. So it seems like the new site discourages checking in every so many hours. (Maybe that's the plan, haha). I'm sure no one gives a damn how often I check in, but I thought it might be constructive to report that, though I've tried, the new site still does not do it for me the way the old site did. If I am Doing It Wrong, it's not at all easy to see how to change that.

Good luck men, and thanks for reading my whine.
post #264 of 546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post

Is there any way to customize the look of the home page?
The previous site was addictive because one click (bookmark for new posts, I think it was) and the screen was full of new activity. Forums I did not read were excluded in a preference somewhere.
On the current site, I have to scroll below the fold - every time - to see the recent activity. Above the fold does not change much, if at all, and it takes too much time to load more than the first so many threads. Meanwhile everything abve the fold pretty much doesn't change. To get the same amount of stimulating new information, I need to wait much longer and click and scroll a whole lot more.
Really, I don't need to see a summary of my year-old private messages, or that picture of jefferyd (though i am a Big Fan) every time I hit the home page. So it seems like the new site discourages checking in every so many hours. (Maybe that's the plan, haha). I'm sure no one gives a damn how often I check in, but I thought it might be constructive to report that, though I've tried, the new site still does not do it for me the way the old site did. If I am Doing It Wrong, it's not at all easy to see how to change that.
Good luck men, and thanks for reading my whine.

You can go to your settings, and turn off the carousel, if you wish. That will bring stuff up above the fold.

We are using the featured section to highlight special "columns". Once the word press blog is in place, we will probably feature things, changing them frequently, as they crop up on the blog. The blog will have an automatic RSS feed into the appropriate forums, so that MC content will be integrated with, say, MC, while, at the same time, it is kept in a more easily navigated, and presented in a more attractive manner, should you decide to browse the blog itself. Lots of work, and some expense, but I hope that it will give high quality content like Jeffrey and Depos' "columns" a lot of exposure, while keeping the free rolling feel of the forum (i.e. the propensity for threaks) alive and well.

It's late. I hope that that made sense.

Cheers,

Fok.
post #265 of 546
Fok,

Maybe I'm missing this, but can we no longer edit thread titles in our own threads? I remember with vB we had that option for something like 30 days after thread creation.
post #266 of 546
I just got a Scorecard Research box that dropped down from the top of the screen into the middle, asking me to take a brief survey. WTF?
post #267 of 546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly7 View Post

Fok,
Maybe I'm missing this, but can we no longer edit thread titles in our own threads? I remember with vB we had that option for something like 30 days after thread creation.

A lot of stuff, including that, will be addressed in the next release (scheduled for next Tuesday) I'm going to see if I can crib some notes for you guys.

Cheers,

Fok.
post #268 of 546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

I just got a Scorecard Research box that dropped down from the top of the screen into the middle, asking me to take a brief survey. WTF?

What URL were you trying to go to? That should not happen.... Would you mind sending me a screenshot so that I can get that fixed?

Cheers,

Fok.
post #269 of 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

What URL were you trying to go to? That should not happen.... Would you mind sending me a screenshot so that I can get that fixed?
Cheers,
Fok.

Fok,

It was a one off. I hadn't seen it before and I haven't seen it in the 15 minutes since. If it pops up again I'll screenshot it for you.
post #270 of 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

I just got a Scorecard Research box that dropped down from the top of the screen into the middle, asking me to take a brief survey. WTF?

AH HA!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: New Forum Support
Styleforum › Forums › General › New Forum Support  › Constructive ideas on improving the forum