Originally Posted by akatsuki
1. Exclude the B&S archives from search by default. In fact, I'd say just eliminate those forums entirely at this point.
2. Exclude closed listings from search by default.
A lot of people use these for information, so we don't plan to do this. You can, however, search subforums separately.
3. Add back the WTB forum - I used it occasionally and it was useful - especially if it was linked to the B&S so that when I posted something it would show me related threads in WTB and vice-versa.
You can subset to search only for WTB threads. You can actually interrupt subsetting so you can unclick multiple checkboxes in the "types of classifieds" you are looking for without penalty. I agree that showing you related WTB threads would be useful, but not sure whether we have that capacity right now (building it fresh would be a big project.)
4. Get rid of the insane amounts of whitespace.
An ongoing project.
5. I'd actually like B&S to automatically get rid of posts over two months or so. Sort of like craigslist - let the poster know they are expiring and give them a chance to edit/repost at that point.
For the same reason as number 1 and 2, we are not going to delete information from the database. I'm also not sure what usefulness this has in general. However, the 15 open listing limit does force users to be somewhat judicious with their postings
6. Mining knowledge on a forum generally sucks - it'd be nice if reference threads were ported over to wikis.
We agree with this in principle, and would encourage users to submit wiki entries. It's not something that has been used before though, and we don't have the manpower to write the wikis ourselves, so this would need to be a user driven project. Is there someone who you think would be interested in compiling information for wikis? Styleforum has always been about user driven, bottom up initiatives. It's one of the strengths of the forum, but it also has its downsides. i.e., if noone is interested in a project, it generally isn't done, unfortunately. j and I are just 2 people, and our mod team is stretched as it is.
7. Specific brand threads should be organized by season or year and old ones should be allowed to sink into the past.
Again, I agree, but this is another user driven initiative. We have a policy of not closing threads unless there is egregrious behavior in them.
8. Add a group buy/PSA/custom forum under B&S instead of having them scattered all over the place.
This is not really the point of the B&S forum, which is to allow commerce between users. We allow specific threads in the specific subforums because we feel them useful to members.