or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › New Forum Support  › Constructive ideas on improving the forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Constructive ideas on improving the forum

post #1 of 546
Thread Starter 
In an attempt to consolidate the 50+ threads about the new forum, many of which are redundant, I am making three new threads. Please post your questions or comments in the relevant one. Please do not start new threads on this topic.

Thanks,

Fok.

If you have constructive ideas to improve the forum, please feel free to post them here. We are currently working to increase thread and post density, and to improve the viewing options for B&S.
post #2 of 546

Consider dropping the yellow pop-up info windows when you hover over a thread title.  They rarely offer any info that isn't in the thread title and do create an awful lot of visual noise.

 

lefty 

post #3 of 546
Search function... please improve it, or easy solution - revert back to the old one.

For example, options like "all of the words" "any word" are gone. And the results page is a mess, with marginal accuracy.

Christ I hate this redesign. Sorry for the negativity, but it gives me a headache even to think about it.

I've only been logging on to SF with a the glimmer of hope that the old layout has returned.
post #4 of 546
I posted this in another thread, but it got locked quickly afterwards (not my fault!). I think this is a constructive and relatively easy suggestion, so I'm posting it again. If I'm wrong about it being easy or useful, please ignore:

I was wondering if there could be a designated symbol or picture for a B&S thread that has multiple item (currently called 'megathreads' or a 'closet clearance threads). I've noticed that with the new system featuring pictures, I tend to look at the pictures first and, if I like the photo, then I'll look at the title of the thread. If there could a set symbol (e.g. a star, a 'M', a 'C', or a picture of a closet) put in place of the photo, it'd do well to signal these coveted megathreads/closet cleaning threads.
post #5 of 546
I posted this elsewhere and J said he was looking into it, but nothing seems to have materialized.

Why is yahooapis.com running scripts for various forum functions?

Suggestions elsewhere:
1. Remove the gray "load screen" crap when quoting and replying to posts. It's a forum, not a videogame.
2. Remove the yellow box that pops up when you mouseover.
3. Remove the CSS overlay that changes the background color of thread titles as you mouseover them. It doesn't add anything.
post #6 of 546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG000 View Post

For example, options like "all of the words" "any word" are gone. And the results page is a mess, with marginal accuracy.

Reversion is not an option. This is a new platform, not an upgraded version of the old one. The protocols are significantly different.

The search is actually much more powerful. You can search 2 character strings, even 1 character strings, a huge improvement from the minimum 3 character strings. So, you can actually search for "EG". Also, the default is "by relevance". Changing that will probably make a huge difference. I believe that boolean operators (and/or) and wildcards in the search function are all on the roadmap.
post #7 of 546

Notifications (pref. by PM) when someone gives you a thumbs-up - would give the functionality much more utility.

post #8 of 546
I find using Google search more efficient in mining the database, both in the current and previous forum software. Also, it seems when I use SF to search two terms it comes up with results of "A or B" rather than "A and B". The relevancy function isn't as good as Google's.
post #9 of 546

And dump the "thumbs up."  It's juvenile.

 

lefty

post #10 of 546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

And dump the "thumbs up."  It's juvenile.

 

lefty


Are you still in San Francisco? You're so grumpy these days.
post #11 of 546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

I find using Google search more efficient in mining the database, both in the current and previous forum software. Also, it seems when I use SF to search two terms it comes up with results of "A or B" rather than "A and B". The relevancy function isn't as good as Google's.

A matter of personal preference. I found the google utility in the old system completely useless, as did others. The point was that the built in search function on the new platform is better than the one on the old VB system, for a variety of reasons.
post #12 of 546
When you click on "my post", the list of threads in order should be in the order of your OWN posts. Right now, I always get some old threads on the top of the list. In many cases, I've lost interests in those threads yet they keep showing up on the top. At least, can there be a drop down menu of sort options?
post #13 of 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

Also, it seems when I use SF to search two terms it comes up with results of "A or B" rather than "A and B". The relevancy function isn't as good as Google's.

Exactly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

A matter of personal preference. I found the google utility in the old system completely useless, as did others. The point was that the built in search function on the new platform is better than the one on the old VB system, for a variety of reasons.

I do not know code nor do I claim to. Perhaps on a technical level the new platform is better - but as somebody who uses the search function every day, I believe it is a tremendous downgrade in functionality and practicality.
post #14 of 546

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Are you still in San Francisco? You're so grumpy these days.

 

I thought I was mellowing - glad to know I still have my edge!

 

I appreciate that the TU may have some value but to me it's just another bit of noise that lessens conversation.

 

lefty

 

post #15 of 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by arced View Post

I posted this in another thread, but it got locked quickly afterwards (not my fault!). I think this is a constructive and relatively easy suggestion, so I'm posting it again. If I'm wrong about it being easy or useful, please ignore:

I was wondering if there could be a designated symbol or picture for a B&S thread that has multiple item (currently called 'megathreads' or a 'closet clearance threads). I've noticed that with the new system featuring pictures, I tend to look at the pictures first and, if I like the photo, then I'll look at the title of the thread. If there could a set symbol (e.g. a star, a 'M', a 'C', or a picture of a closet) put in place of the photo, it'd do well to signal these coveted megathreads/closet cleaning threads.

Wow! That was quick! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: New Forum Support
Styleforum › Forums › General › New Forum Support  › Constructive ideas on improving the forum