or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Carl Sagen's "Cosmos" is getting a reboot
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Carl Sagen's "Cosmos" is getting a reboot - Page 2

post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

A summary of how off the "history" in the first episode was:
http://thefederalist.com/2014/03/13/five-things-neil-degrasse-tysons-cosmos-gets-wrong/


Number #3 on the list is incredibly dumb. The sound was added for the same reason it's in 90% of movies that take place in space, even if it's not scientifically accurate. Entertainment value. The concept of his computer modeled advanced spaceship that he flew around space and time for the duration of the show was made up for the same reason. I can only guess the author is reaching to populate his little list. Pick better battles.

Also, please tell me #5 is meant to be a joke? The author cannot think that any viewers took this literally. I completely fail to see how the context of what the show was presenting in this extended segment to its audience is in any form comparable to those who take the Book of Genesis of literal fact and history.
post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Number #3 on the list is incredibly dumb. The sound was added for the same reason it's in 90% of movies that take place in space, even if it's not scientifically accurate. Entertainment value. The concept of his computer modeled advanced spaceship that he flew around space and time for the duration of the show was made up for the same reason. I can only guess the author is reaching to populate his little list. Pick better battles.

How about the asteroid belt that looked like the one from Star Wars? The lack of realism of the CGI bits is a legitimate criticism.
Quote:
Also, please tell me #5 is meant to be a joke? The author cannot think that any viewers took this literally. I completely fail to see how the context of what the show was presenting in this extended segment to its audience is in any form comparable to those who take the Book of Genesis of literal fact and history.

You missed the point. The author was constructing a straw man and comparing it to the six days straw man.
post #18 of 42
Weak sauce, Ataturk.
post #19 of 42
I posted the link as a source for the quotation, not as an endorsement of every argument it presented.
post #20 of 42
So, I broke down and watched the second episode, which was entirely devoted to evolution. It wasn't nearly as bad as the first, though there was a particularly cringe-worthy moment when he started talking about Darwin and then contended that people resist the theory of evolution because they don't like being compared to monkeys.

Yeah, right.
post #21 of 42
Doesn't the whole monkey thing really boil down to religion? Did he mention religion?
post #22 of 42
A little. It was mostly insinuation.

Anyway, the monkey thing is another straw man. The opposition to evolution is grounded in the application of evolution to human beings--i.e., scientific racism and social darwinism, which, of course, Tyson said absolutely nothing about.
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

A little. It was mostly insinuation.

Anyway, the monkey thing is another straw man. The opposition to evolution is grounded in the application of evolution to human beings--i.e., scientific racism and social darwinism, which, of course, Tyson said absolutely nothing about.

Are those same people opposed to Relativity because of the atomic bomb?
post #24 of 42
No, but I don't remember anyone studying relativity and deciding poor people should be sterilized.
post #25 of 42
They studied relativity and decided that whole cities could be destroyed.
post #26 of 42
The distinction between could and should is pretty important.
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

A little. It was mostly insinuation.

Anyway, the monkey thing is another straw man. The opposition to evolution is grounded in the application of evolution to human beings--i.e., scientific racism and social darwinism, which, of course, Tyson said absolutely nothing about.

Do you have a link to this? Every current objection to evolution I've seen is grounded in religion.
post #28 of 42
It's both. Yes, there is the argument that the biblical history is literal. But the issue itself became important because evolution devalues human life and undermines Christian morality.
post #29 of 42
Ataturk was home-schooled.
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

It's both. Yes, there is the argument that the biblical history is literal. But the issue itself became important because evolution devalues human life and undermines Christian morality.

Well that's a moral objection to it, not a factual one. Just because I think the sun setting every day devalues human life doesn't mean the sun doesn't set every day.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Carl Sagen's "Cosmos" is getting a reboot