or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been out in public answer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been... - Page 26

post #376 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

When dining at a nice restaurant, is it considered rude to order several small plates instead of a main course?

Did you get your ranch dressing on the side?

FWIW, when we are checking out a new place for the first time, highly likely to order several small plates to get a good take on the place.
post #377 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

When dining at a nice restaurant, is it considered rude to order several small plates instead of a main course?

Very rude. An insult to the chef.
post #378 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm9128 View Post

Very rude. An insult to the chef.

GTFO... you order what you want.
post #379 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

When dining at a nice restaurant, is it considered rude to order several small plates instead of a main course?

How's the menu broken down?
post #380 of 481
Definitely not an insult to a chef, but ehkay brings up a good point. I've worked places with tons of appetizer options and people did that all the time. The place I work now, we only have a couple of apps and a larger entree section. So if someone were to do that here, it'd just be a little confusing... "are they getting entrees, are they not, wtf why are they ordering apps three tickets in a row," etc. But certainly not "wrong" in any sense.
post #381 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

Definitely not an insult to a chef, but ehkay brings up a good point. I've worked places with tons of appetizer options and people did that all the time. The place I work now, we only have a couple of apps and a larger entree section. So if someone were to do that here, it'd just be a little confusing... "are they getting entrees, are they not, wtf why are they ordering apps three tickets in a row," etc. But certainly not "wrong" in any sense.

appetizer = entree

When will you merkans lern to talk proppa like.
post #382 of 481
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

appetizer = entree
When will you merkans lern to talk proppa like.

What do you think about the saltiness of our food?
post #383 of 481
Kyle, if I ordered 3 or 4 hors-d'oeuvres and asked them to pace these, would that clear up any confusion?

I suppose I also meant to ask if it was considered rude socially (to the restaurant and to your fellow diners). Improper not to partake of designated courses or something?
post #384 of 481
Nah, not rude at all. We're more than happy to take your money. Honestly, apps usually have better markups anyway devil.gif

As far as other ppl in your party go, I would assume that theyd feel free to orser mains if they wanted to.
post #385 of 481
The unspoken rule of casual sushi joints is that, if you eat at the bar, you have to consume any freebies the chef sends your way. Not eating them is considered an insult to the chef's prowess, taste, and hospitality. Right?

What do I do if my friends and I are regulars at a local spot, and often get said compliments from the chef -- but one of us has decidedly less adventurous tastes, thereby not eating 90% of what comes his way? Are the rest of us obligated to divide his food amongst ourselves? And are we allowed to give him shit about why he wants to sit at the sushi bar to begin with? He's a good guy, but kind of an overly fussy eater. He's the kind of guy who'd order chicken teriyaki, were it on the menu.
post #386 of 481
Thoughts on not closing your tab with particularly poor bar service and just eating the automatic 15% gratuity rather than tipping the customary $x/drink? Déclassé or okay?

Also, appropriate response if you're at a shitty(read: Applebee's, TGI Fridays, and the like) restaurant for some work team-building crap dinner and your waiter doesn't bring all your entrees out at the same time? Should this be accepted and tolerated if you're at a place known to suck ass anyways?
post #387 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKJTG View Post

Thoughts on not closing your tab with particularly poor bar service and just eating the automatic 15% gratuity rather than tipping the customary $x/drink? Déclassé or okay?
Also, appropriate response if you're at a shitty(read: Applebee's, TGI Fridays, and the like) restaurant for some work team-building crap dinner and your waiter doesn't bring all your entrees out at the same time? Should this be accepted and tolerated if you're at a place known to suck ass anyways?

 

I've never been at a TGI Friday's, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday's, etc., where that hasn't happened. Seems to be par for the course. It's a given that somebody's entree is going to show up 20 minutes after everyone else has been served. Just hope it's not yours. It's a bit like Russian Roulette that way.

 

Also, humbly suggest to whoever's organizing these outings that s/he select a non-shitty restaurant next time. Hell, even P.F. Chang's is a tiny upgrade from those dumps, and chances are there's probably one in the vicinity.

post #388 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post

I've never been at a TGI Friday's, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday's, etc., where that hasn't happened. Seems to be par for the course. It's a given that somebody's entree is going to show up 20 minutes after everyone else has been served. Just hope it's not yours. It's a bit like Russian Roulette that way.

Also, humbly suggest to whoever's organizing these outings that s/he select a non-shitty restaurant next time.

It reminds me, a year or so ago I was given a $30 TGI Fridays gift card from an aunt as a graduation present, so I asked my girlfriend at the time if she would accompany me to the hell hole so I could burn it. She gracefully obliged and agreed it would be good for some laughs if nothing else. Guess what happens? They bring out my entree a solid 5 minutes before my girlfriend's, telling her that hers takes a little longer to prepare(it was something ghastly like chicken fritters or beef sizzlers or whatever the fuck they name their shit). I was astonished.
post #389 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post

The unspoken rule of casual sushi joints is that, if you eat at the bar, you have to consume any freebies the chef sends your way. Not eating them is considered an insult to the chef's prowess, taste, and hospitality. Right?
What do I do if my friends and I are regulars at a local spot, and often get said compliments from the chef -- but one of us has decidedly less adventurous tastes, thereby not eating 90% of what comes his way? Are the rest of us obligated to divide his food amongst ourselves? And are we allowed to give him shit about why he wants to sit at the sushi bar to begin with? He's a good guy, but kind of an overly fussy eater. He's the kind of guy who'd order chicken teriyaki, were it on the menu.

Nothing. Different people like different things. It is not his or her fault. I will never be forced to eat something i do not want to just because of some unspoken rule.
post #390 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by sns23 View Post


Nothing. Different people like different things. It is not his or her fault. I will never be forced to eat something i do not want to just because of some unspoken rule.

 

You are without honor.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been out in public answer.