or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been out in public answer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been... - Page 3

post #31 of 481
Interesting thread.
post #32 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


He told me eating red bean is like watching baby Jesus burn alive.



Yes. Not so simple when you are talking about old friend who you are very close with. I'd rather continue eating where they'd like than stop seeing them.

No, it really is that simple. If they can't make the effort to be even slightly accomodating then they probably don't value the friendship to the extent that you do.
post #33 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


He told me eating red bean is like watching baby Jesus burn alive.

I bet he takes you to places that are "hipster good" right?
post #34 of 481
Let’s say you are travelling to a country (maybe third world where there’s a huge range of salaries) where you have never been before, how do you ascertain how much you should tip the bellman? Do you use regional standards? Always tip the same? Maybe use some sort of product as a guideline? Go with instinct? Use the price of the room as a gauge?
I know what I do but I’m curious about what you do.
post #35 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


He told me eating red bean is like watching baby Jesus burn alive.



Yes. Not so simple when you are talking about old friend who you are very close with. I'd rather continue eating where they'd like than stop seeing them.

what is red bean?
post #36 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Let’s say you are travelling to a country (maybe third world where there’s a huge range of salaries) where you have never been before, how do you ascertain how much you should tip the bellman? Do you use regional standards? Always tip the same? Maybe use some sort of product as a guideline? Go with instinct? Use the price of the room as a gauge?
I know what I do but I’m curious about what you do.

Simple really, don't go to third world countries.
post #37 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


Simple really, don't go to third world countries.

Dude, just assume I said Eastern Europe or something.
post #38 of 481

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post

I didn't say he wasn't being rude. There is a pretty big gap between the onset of rudeness and when it is OK to act as hall monitor and tell somebody at another table what to do. Your pet peeves aren't really the issue there. Now, as I said, if he had toe cheese, or if he was shaking his dick around, fine.


I tend to subscribe to the Tony Soprano school of fine dining, but I think I would let a dick swinger be.

 

Here's another: you have finished eating and your cutlery is in the off position but your companion is still eating.  Waiter reaches for your plate.  Stop him or not?

 

lefty

post #39 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

A couple we like to spend time with always manuevers to pick the restaurant. This occurs even when they ask us to choose a place. After we make reservations at a restaurant that fits their preferences for location, cuisine, and price, they will often contact us just a few hours before dinner to say they aren't comfortable with the menu because of certain religious dietary limitations. Needless to say, these limitations never appear to be the real issue. To add insult to injury, they are more interested in the scene than the food, so we always feel like we overspent at a mediocre restaurant.

What would you do?

You can try a couple of things. Tell them you've been wanting to try that place for weeks and you'll just have to go this time without them. You can also try the compromise and go to neither the original place nor the place they picked. You can tell them you've been to the new place they picked and you feel the food is not worth the money. You can make it a three couple event so they have another party they need to extort also.

All those are aimed at trying to get them to seeyou're not happy with their extortion.
post #40 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Let’s say you are travelling to a country (maybe third world where there’s a huge range of salaries) where you have never been before, how do you ascertain how much you should tip the bellman? Do you use regional standards? Always tip the same? Maybe use some sort of product as a guideline? Go with instinct? Use the price of the room as a gauge?
I know what I do but I’m curious about what you do.

I would Google it first. Tipping customs and basic rules of etiquette are the first things I'd research before traveling somewhere. If I still didn't know what to do, I'd do as I do back home. Better to make an effort to be polite than not try at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom_fries View Post


what is red bean?

It's a bean commonly used in Asian desserts, baked goods, and pastries. Most often, it is sweetened and mashed into a creamy paste which appears dark burgundy in color.
post #41 of 481
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Let’s say you are travelling to a country (maybe third world where there’s a huge range of salaries) where you have never been before, how do you ascertain how much you should tip the bellman? Do you use regional standards? Always tip the same? Maybe use some sort of product as a guideline? Go with instinct? Use the price of the room as a gauge?
I know what I do but I’m curious about what you do.

I always tip bellmen the same unless I know that it is absolutely inappropriate to do so in a certain place.
post #42 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

 


I tend to subscribe to the Tony Soprano school of fine dining, but I think I would let a dick swinger be.

 

Here's another: you have finished eating and your cutlery is in the off position but your companion is still eating.  Waiter reaches for your plate.  Stop him or not?

 

lefty


you need to go to restaurants where the waiters aren't idiots.

if he is an idiot, tell him you're not finished.
post #43 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

 


I tend to subscribe to the Tony Soprano school of fine dining, but I think I would let a dick swinger be.

 

Here's another: you have finished eating and your cutlery is in the off position but your companion is still eating.  Waiter reaches for your plate.  Stop him or not?

 

lefty


Stop him.
post #44 of 481
It's a bean commonly used in Asian desserts, baked goods, and pastries. Most often, it is sweetened and mashed into a creamy paste which appears dark burgundy in color.

[/quote]

that's what I'd thought, but then I thought no one could compare that to watching baby jesus burn alive, whatever that's supposed to mean.
post #45 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Here's another: you have finished eating and your cutlery is in the off position but your companion is still eating.  Waiter reaches for your plate.  Stop him or not?

 

lefty


Why did you put your cutlery in the off position to begin with? Your faux pas, not the waiter's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post


You can try a couple of things. Tell them you've been wanting to try that place for weeks and you'll just have to go this time without them. You can also try the compromise and go to neither the original place nor the place they picked. You can tell them you've been to the new place they picked and you feel the food is not worth the money. You can make it a three couple event so they have another party they need to extort also.

All those are aimed at trying to get them to seeyou're not happy with their extortion.

Not bad at all, except for the middle one. I would not feel comfortable telling someone that the food they like is not worth the money.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been out in public answer.