or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been out in public answer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been... - Page 13

post #181 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post


This phrase deserved being noticed.

Real question:

You're at a fairly decent place and your entrees either arrive with your appies or 3-4 minutes after your appies get dropped. What do you do?

Send the entrees back. Unacceptable.

Unless it's at a relatively casual place, like The Bristol, which is great for food but not super fancy for service. At places like that it's more or less expected that food comes out at random intervals and time, etc etc.
post #182 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post


Send the entrees back. Unacceptable.

Unless it's at a relatively casual place, like The Bristol, which is great for food but not super fancy for service. At places like that it's more or less expected that food comes out at random intervals and time, etc etc.

Right, but the entrees are going to sit there dying in the pass.
post #183 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post


Right, but the entrees are going to sit there dying in the pass.
If the place is really "fairly decent" and you tell the server that you want the entrees remade because the kitchen fired them too quickly, and that you don't want the food to sit under a heat lamp for 10 minutes, then they should remake them.
post #184 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

If the place is really "fairly decent" and you tell the server that you want the entrees remade because the kitchen fired them too quickly, and that you don't want the food to sit under a heat lamp for 10 minutes, then they should remake them.

seriously? i don't think i'd ever do this, though the problem has come up a few times.
post #185 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post


seriously? i don't think i'd ever do this, though the problem has come up a few times.

Dude, totally. It's not your fault the food came out before you were even finished with your first course. It's either the kitchen's fault, the server's fault, or a miscommunication between the two. But either way, if a cook puts something in the pass, and the server says "Oh fuck they aren't even finished with their appetizers yet" nobody is going to be surprised if you want them remade.
post #186 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post


This phrase deserved being noticed.

Real question:

You're at a fairly decent place and your entrees either arrive with your appies or 3-4 minutes after your appies get dropped. What do you do?

appies?=hors d'oeuvre=appetizers?

Just tell them you're not ready for entrées yet....
post #187 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post


seriously? i don't think i'd ever do this, though the problem has come up a few times.

Yeah, I'd be afraid that instead of sitting under a heat lamp for 10 minutes, it will sit in the microwave for 1 minute...
post #188 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

If the place is really "fairly decent" and you tell the server that you want the entrees remade because the kitchen fired them too quickly, and that you don't want the food to sit under a heat lamp for 10 minutes, then they should remake them.

But I figure it's 50/50 then your food gets spit in. I think this is the correct answer though.

Btw, this is at a random place you don't frequent.

Fuuma, as I said, then your food sits there wilting under a heat lamp.
post #189 of 481
Thread Starter 
Man, you have dismal outlook on humanity.
post #190 of 481
Well I also probably wouldn't do it because it would irritate my girlfriend or friends I am with. They get really embarrassed when I stop a waiter from taking our plates before we're done, or when I refuse to show the door guy at Home Depot my receipt. Professional manners and social etiquette, or whatever you would call it are taboo in this city for some reason.
post #191 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post


But I figure it's 50/50 then your food gets spit in. I think this is the correct answer though.

Btw, this is at a random place you don't frequent.

Fuuma, as I said, then your food sits there wilting under a heat lamp.

Well I naively assume that for some places it goes beyond saying they should remake it but, honestly, there are many entrées where I don't give a fuck about the heat lamp and it is fine. Of course I'm not that much into ritualized dining so it plays a part.
post #192 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post

Man, you have dismal outlook on humanity.

I'm surprised this is news to you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post


Well I naively assume that for some places it goes beyond saying they should remake it but, honestly, there are many entrées where I don't give a fuck about the heat lamp and it is fine. Of course I'm not that much into ritualized dining so it plays a part.

While I lack religion I understand the satisfaction a good ritual can give.
post #193 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

Well I also probably wouldn't do it because it would irritate my girlfriend or friends I am with. They get really embarrassed when I stop a waiter from taking our plates before we're done, or when I refuse to show the door guy at Home Depot my receipt. Professional manners and social etiquette, or whatever you would call it are taboo in this city for some reason.

Explain this whole situation to me, I absolutely don't understand what it means... Your local shopping center has a doorman? Does he have a guestlist?
post #194 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

If the place is really "fairly decent" and you tell the server that you want the entrees remade because the kitchen fired them too quickly, and that you don't want the food to sit under a heat lamp for 10 minutes, then they should remake them.

i'd just stand up, pull the tablecloth out from under the set table, and leave the restaurant.

but for serious, depends on the details: what does "fairly decent" mean? how much are you paying and in what city? and how hungry are you? and what are the appetizers - had everyone ordered individual appetizers?

another side story: the other day, my wife ordered a salad with grilled chicken without onions (she has an allergy to onions) at a sort of touristy brewery-restaurant in a touristy part of town, and of course they brought out the salad with onions. after some looks of disbelief and with much harumphing they took the salad away, and brought back what was obviously the same salad after having undergone an ad hoc de-onioning operation. we would have left immediately had we not been ravenous and had there been any other options in the immediate vicinity.
post #195 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post


Explain this whole situation to me, I absolutely don't understand what it means... Your local shopping center has a doorman? Does he have a guestlist?

This happens even in Canada at certain places, i.e. CostCo. People stand by the door and stop you to check off what's in your cart against your reciept.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been out in public answer.