or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NHL 2011-2012 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NHL 2011-2012 Thread - Page 61

post #901 of 1719
My Richards jersey arrived and it looks great. Very happy.


On a side note I took a stroll to the NHL store yesterday and checked out some of the new authentic jerseys that Reebok released this year. Awful. The quality is just terrible and in no way are they worth $300.

I did a little research and here's my executive summary:
A few years ago, Reebok released the "EDGE" jerseys to replace the standard 6100 jerseys that had been used for years. Reebok called these the 7187 (or Edge 1.0), and touted the new fabric's sweat and moisture wicking abilities. A lot of NHL players agreed that the jerseys did wick moisture away, but the moisture was wicked right into their gloves and skates. Bad. The complaints flooded in, and in response Reebok released the 7287, or Edge 2.0. The 7287 jerseys featured a more traditional mesh fabric on the front and back pannels, and the next year about 90% of players were using the 2.0 with the other 10% using the 1.0. The retail stores continued to sell the 1.0 as the 2.0 team versions were never made for retail sale, only team release (the hardcore fans went to places like Medigrey to buy team release or game worn 2.0 jerseys). The All Star and Winter Classic jerseys sold at retail were 2.0, but the standard team jerseys were always 1.0. Then, last last year there were rumors that the 2.0 may be made available for purchase for this season, and those with too much time on their hands got very excited. But the new jerseys weren't the 7287, nor even the original 7187 ... they were called the 7321. People were confused as to WTF these were. The quality was shoddy with flimsy fabric, a fight strap that was basically a thin piece of cloth, and a heat-pressed Reebok logo. And they were made in Indonesia instead of Canada. On the ice, the players were still using the 7287's (or sometimes 7187's) meaning the "new" authentic jerseys weren't really authentic at all. And in fact shop.nhl changed the product description to "The Reebok® EDGE authentic hockey jersey replicates the jersey worn by all NHL® players on the ice." So the product was shit. But did they lower the price or anything? No. Shame on you Reebok, shame on you.

also, my Richards jersey is a 7187, thankfully. Buyer beware!
post #902 of 1719
Thread Starter 
^^^cool write up. I heard the complaints about the first generation "edge" jerseys. I love how the Rangers had them hemmed to eliminate the scoop in the back the first year. Heard the socks were the worst...

My Staal jersey is a first generation Edge jersey:
1f7f5d2d.jpg
47c7a644.jpg
7b8f7ae3.jpg

I handled the Winter Classic Pro Jersey, but at $450 for a customized jersey that I wasn't thrilled about, I decided to pass. I may grab the alternate shirt next season. I liked the mesh under arms on the pro Winter Classic, and its texture was lighter than the Staal shirt.

Here's my jersey from ~2008 or 2009, whenever we got Avery.
15076160.jpg
edbd66a7.jpg
4a0e269a.jpg
This was one or two seasons before they moved to the Edge. The jersey itself was the replica, plus reinforced elbows and a fight strap. M'eh.

I have a pro CCM from around 2002 with Matthew Barnaby, stored at home.
I have a pro 2nd Liberty Head (white) from when i was in college (1999) with Todd Harvey on it, very silky fabric.
Also a pro Liberty Head (1998) with 99 Gretzky

and here's my baby...1995-1996, worked my ass off at Blockbuster Video during college and saved the scratch over a few months to grab this puppy:
1b099779.jpg
87130274.jpg
Made in the USA, thick and heavy, and not a fan of Cam Neely. If we play Boston in the playoffs, I'll be wearing this the entire series:
9d6a37c9.jpg
post #903 of 1719
awesome stuff. I'd love a white Liberty head.

That Avery jersey is authentic. Replicas had the double shoulders and elbows, but no fight strap and (more importantly) were sold in the S-XL sizes and not the 46-60 that is standard with the authentic ones. I'd guess that the blank jersey was pre-Edge and then it was customized during the Edge period.

You can see on the Staal jersey that it's a 7187 (or Edge 1.0). Apparently even the team issue 2.0's still say 7187.

Look at the Medigrey website, they have a LOT of game worn Rangers stuff. I might pick up a practice jersey sometime since they're like $100.
post #904 of 1719
Here's some of the jerseys I have at home in NYC (I have a bunch more at my parent's vacation home upstate, including an awesome Labatt Blue jersey).

The first is, obviously, the newest. HockeyMonkey did a really solid job on the name/number which isn't unexpected since they do the jerseys for the Ducks team. Only difference between this and the current jerseys is the nameplate (Rangers use this now but did not until recently).
2957387170043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

Detail on the D:
2314199620043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

And then with my wife's #30:
2612147300043813381S600x600Q85.jpg


And then during my sophomore year in college, my GF at the time (current wife) surprised me with this for my birthday. It was nice. During the last home game of the season they let the students on to the ice with the players and we were able to get it signed by a number of people including Matt Moulson (now of the Islanders. I hate the Islanders, but he is an awesome guy.), Byron Bitz of Vancouver, and Raymond Sawada of the Avalanche.
2950842460043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

And then during my senior year I went to the equipment sale and bought a few of their practice jerseys for something like $10 each. They're all heavy weight material and include the fight strap:
2811193400043813381S600x600Q85.jpg
Edited by gomestar - 3/9/12 at 3:54pm
post #905 of 1719
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

Look at the Medigrey website, they have a LOT of game worn Rangers stuff. I might pick up a practice jersey sometime since they're like $100.

I'm way to small to fit into game worn stuff...frown.gif
post #906 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post

I'm way to small to fit into game worn stuff...frown.gif

+1. I'm also a 46 or 48.

Granted, the difference between my 46's and my Cornell practice jersey size 56 isn't huge - the 56 is much wider but only a little bit longer in the body and sleeves.



Cornell sells their game used jerseys every fall from the prior season. I'm going to try to pick one up this year but I'm debating between white (home at Lynah) or red (played against BU at MSG this year).
post #907 of 1719
Thread Starter 
An old teammate of mine was a Cornell Roller Hockey player...cool shit, he's built like a brick shithouse as well.

I'd go red, always go with the school colors...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

+1. I'm also a 46 or 48.
Granted, the difference between my 46's and my Cornell practice jersey size 56 isn't huge - the 56 is much wider but only a little bit longer in the body and sleeves.
Cornell sells their game used jerseys every fall from the prior season. I'm going to try to pick one up this year but I'm debating between white (home at Lynah) or red (played against BU at MSG this year).
post #908 of 1719
Would somebody please stop the Pens? An 8 game win streak is enough.

On another note, my Hawks put in a good showing tonight (sorry Rob). Seems like Oduya is fitting in quite nicely so far. Hopefully we can get some more W's and work our way out of that horrible slump we got into back in February.
post #909 of 1719
whats up with kane this year, anyways?

fun game between the jets and the flames tonight. once the jets move west, flames/jets will be a nice rivalry... it'll be the battle of new atlanta. laugh.gif awesome seeing baertschi getting called up, the kid has a 2ppg pace in the WHL right now. yeah, the flames are beat up enough to be eligible to call somebody up from junior hockey. he better develop well; he's the only prospect the flames have outside of irving that's worth a damn.
post #910 of 1719
funny you mention Kane. I was reading into my sophomore year at Cornell, the first year I scored season tickets at Lynah. One of Cornell's first opponents that year, besides Michigan State, was the Under-18 program which CU beat easily 4-1. I remember that game distinctly. Who had that 1 goal for US? Patrick Kane. I did not realize that fact until a few hours ago.


carry on...
post #911 of 1719
i live in london so i had the pleasure of watching kane shred everything in 2006. can only imagine if he was on the 2005 memorial cup team with perry, prust, girardi, etc. knights drafted him in 2004, so he couldve played. really quite something when you see how many notable players have gone through the knights organization since the hunters turned it around.

fun wiki fact: Playing on a line with Sergei Kostitsyn and Sam Gagner, he (kane) amassed 145 points for the OHL scoring title and combined with Gagner and Kostitsyn for 394 points.

sick. 145 pts, and 400 points between 3 players. i love watching skill guys rip up junior leagues; there is such a disparity between forward skill and defense/goaltender ability at that age level, its ridiculous. then again, it doesn't always pan out... look at ex-knights rob schremp and nazem kadri, who is by the way 100% going to be an epic bust. i guess kostitsyn/gagner didn't really turn out as expected, either
post #912 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

i live in london so i had the pleasure of watching kane shred everything in 2006. can only imagine if he was on the 2005 memorial cup team with perry, prust, girardi, etc. knights drafted him in 2004, so he couldve played. really quite something when you see how many notable players have gone through the knights organization since the hunters turned it around.
fun wiki fact: Playing on a line with Sergei Kostitsyn and Sam Gagner, he (kane) amassed 145 points for the OHL scoring title and combined with Gagner and Kostitsyn for 394 points.
sick. 145 pts, and 400 points between 3 players. i love watching skill guys rip up junior leagues; there is such a disparity between forward skill and defense/goaltender ability at that age level, its ridiculous. then again, it doesn't always pan out... look at ex-knights rob schremp and nazem kadri, who is by the way 100% going to be an epic bust. i guess kostitsyn/gagner didn't really turn out as expected, either


You think so?  Leafs fans have been blowing him up for years and years... like they do with every average prospect they come across.  

 

Heard Radulov might be coming back for the Preds.  They could be a scary, scary team in the West.  

post #913 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

i live in london so i had the pleasure of watching kane shred everything in 2006. can only imagine if he was on the 2005 memorial cup team with perry, prust, girardi, etc. knights drafted him in 2004, so he couldve played. really quite something when you see how many notable players have gone through the knights organization since the hunters turned it around.
fun wiki fact: Playing on a line with Sergei Kostitsyn and Sam Gagner, he (kane) amassed 145 points for the OHL scoring title and combined with Gagner and Kostitsyn for 394 points.
sick. 145 pts, and 400 points between 3 players. i love watching skill guys rip up junior leagues; there is such a disparity between forward skill and defense/goaltender ability at that age level, its ridiculous. then again, it doesn't always pan out... look at ex-knights rob schremp and nazem kadri, who is by the way 100% going to be an epic bust. i guess kostitsyn/gagner didn't really turn out as expected, either

Scremp was an insane skill. Insane. He was always a year or so ahead of me in the Empire Jr. leagues, I never played with or against him. But still, an incredible talent.
post #914 of 1719
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by burningbright View Post

Would somebody please stop the Pens? An 8 game win streak is enough.
On another note, my Hawks put in a good showing tonight (sorry Rob). Seems like Oduya is fitting in quite nicely so far. Hopefully we can get some more W's and work our way out of that horrible slump we got into back in February.

Rangers are really petering out. They've overachieved all year, and they're exhausted. I really think they are missing another scoring threat as well. I was never under the impression that Richards was going to be that. He's always been a set up guy, and he never fit with Gabroik, so...I hope I'm wrong.
post #915 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by aglass View Post



You think so?  Leafs fans have been blowing him up for years and years... like they do with every average prospect they come across.  

Heard Radulov might be coming back for the Preds.  They could be a scary, scary team in the West.  

without a doubt. having met him in a non-hockey context and knowing people who know him as such, he's a cocky little bastard. every criticism levied against his play is related to his attitude; he's been given more than enough time to develop his game but is still languishing in the minors. think of filatov's attitude with far less skill. the leafs should dump him now while he still has that "top ten draft pick" aura around him. as far as radulov... i'll believe it when i see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

Scremp was an insane skill. Insane. He was always a year or so ahead of me in the Empire Jr. leagues, I never played with or against him. But still, an incredible talent.

i always felt bad for the guy. seeing him bounce from team to team and then not get offered an nhl contract by the jets was a rough go; hopefully he can turn it around in europe.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NHL 2011-2012 Thread